Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: May 31, 2017 10:26AM

Building a shopping center in the height of the real estate bubble and in the midst of the online shopping revolution was a really inspired decision...

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/wall-street-bank-says-quarter-131300119.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: May 31, 2017 10:38AM

As inspired as forming the Kirkland Anti-Banking Society, marrying other men's wives in secret, smashing the Nauvoo Expositor's printing press, or setting out across the plains in shoddy handcarts late in the season.

Maybe it's really Stan who leads the Church.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: January 11, 2018 03:50AM

building a new ultra expensive ultra extravagant mall to replace the former very nice mall that was failing .............
BRILLIANT !!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DPKf7y1F-Q

Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: January 11, 2018 08:58AM

I'm sure there wouldn't be many tenants.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: May 31, 2017 10:41AM

Wouldn't the LDS church just use its billions to prop this up, as they do with temples? They wouldn't want it to appear that their Holy Jesus Mall was failing.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: May 31, 2017 10:48AM

Absolutely. When Jesus comes again, he's gonna need a place to shop. Lucky for him, the walk from the East door of the temple to the mall isn't very long.

Posted by: Honest TBM ( )
Date: May 31, 2017 11:05AM

I'm calling out Babyloncansuckit as it seems like this individual may be preaching a false doctrine idea that Jesus is going to return in the Second Coming to the East door of the Salt Lake temple. What's important is to express here the mainstream TBM perspective. And that is to support what the Brethren have taught. Thus be enlightened by this wondrous doctrine :)

Its going to happen in Missouri as that's where Zion the New Jerusalem will be built well before the actual Second Coming. And before that happens the Lord is going to wipe the wicked out of Jackson County so there won't even be a yellow dog left to wag its tail.

Some people, such as those pesky apostates, may think this idea is wacko crazy. But it was taught by the Brethren. So that's why it gets to be mainstream Mormonism for all eternity :)

I will concede this, presuming the Church is true, that Jesus surely must be making frequent visits to the Salt Lake temple in the Holy of Holies to commune with Monson. So maybe the Lord does exit the east door to look around City Creek. Well for now it appears he does it at Monson's apartment when the nurses, aides, and church-hired security guards aren't looking. But once we get a new old man as prophet then it'll be back to regular sessions in the Holy of Holies between the Godhead and the prophet until the next one becomes too feeble too & such meetings have to go to their apartment.

Date: January 11, 2018 04:00AM

one thing is certain: MORmONISM stands for something !!!!

What the Hell ever it is, besides THEIR Racism and Polygamy!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8aNf-lNh-g

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: May 31, 2017 01:21PM

That's right. Jebus can just pop right over from the temple, can't he? Maybe finally replace those aging sandals, get a pedicure and all that.

Posted by: JustHangingOn@57 ( )
Date: June 01, 2017 02:44AM

Well, before jeezus can GO to the temple he will have to confess to the bishop whether or not he has any worthiness issues. If he is clean then they need to advance him through the YM offices. He will probably get a chance to bless and pass. (It is custom that the dad sits with their son at sacrament table. So may god can attend that first meeting. He will be made an elder. And once again asked if he mastrabates. A no answer here means he is now an elder. Next He needs a temple recommend interview. Actually two of them. Once again, "Brother jeezus, are you morally clean? Next interview,same question. Ok, with temple recommend in hand, jeezus can go to the temple.

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: January 11, 2018 04:06PM

Babylon you always crack me up. I figure jesus will be a recluse living in his temple, only leaving secretly to go shopping and avoid the papperazzi(mispelled but oh well). Jesus would be so famous if he physically came back just think about it, he couldn't go anywhere without a big crowd. Kind of feel sorry for the guy. Jesus the recluse in his SLC temple i can just see it now. One step outside of his temple and he would be labeled imperfect like the rest of us.

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: January 11, 2018 04:17PM

There will be no more shopping for tommy boy.

Posted by: Honest TBM ( )
Date: May 31, 2017 10:53AM

One of the marvelous blessings in the wondrous gospel is that the Brethren always make correct decisions. That's because they are the official representatives of God. Yes I'm aware that there are some people, such as agnostics and atheists, who don't believe that we have a perfect almighty supreme being called God. But thanks to a huge number of marvelous sermons from the LDS Brethren we have well-ingrained in the eternal unchanging doctrines of Mormonism that God is an unchanging, all-powerful, always-correct being and that we can be sure that the Brethren speak for God. Considering all the sacrifices that members have made in contributions to the Church (such as those sacrifices of gold fillings in South America that James E. Faust preached about) then you can be sure, unless you are one of those unbelievers, that the billion plus spent on City Creek was super-inspired and the will of God.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: May 31, 2017 10:57AM

Babyloncansuckit said: "When Jesus comes again, he's gonna need a place to shop" LOL! I wonder which humble little shop He would begin with: Tiffany's, perhaps?

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: January 11, 2018 08:24AM

Baby Gap?

:D

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: May 31, 2017 11:55AM

ShITty Creek--Shun IT!

Posted by: cricket ( )
Date: June 01, 2017 02:31PM

As much as I'd like to see TSCC eat crow (or seagull if you're in Utah) over City Creek Mall "CCM", this mall may survive because it is "special". What makes it "special?"

1. CCM in a way has a captive customer base - in order to save face from the mall closing, The Brethren could assign shoppers from among surrounding stakes. On a side note, if General Conference starts to dip to embarrassing levels, members may well find themselves assigned to fill the seats at the Conference Center.

2. TSCC subsidizes the tenants of CCM with discounted or free rent. It is possible that to save embarrassment from CCM closing that TSCC may incentive the anchor stores by paying them to remain.

3. CCM is surrounded by condos for sale and a concerted effort by TSCC and Salt Lake City to revitalize the downtown area.

4. When you see Deseret Book Store shuttering its location in CCM then you'll know The Second Coming will be called "The Rupture" rather than The Rapture.

Posted by: Anon370855V ( )
Date: June 01, 2017 04:35PM

Is it true that mall has a dress code, of all things?
I have to dress up to go shopping?
If I had decent clothes to wear (I've gained a lot of weight recently) I wouldn't need to go shopping!

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: June 02, 2017 01:54AM

Our Code of Conduct is consistent with most shopping centers across the Country and all other shopping centers in the Taubman portfolio.

City Creek Center is a privately-owned property (“Property”). We welcome all visitors who comply with these Rules of Conduct and our other policies. We have established these Rules of Conduct to insure the safety and comfort of all visitors. The following are prohibited on the Property:

1. Disorderly, intimidating, threatening, dangerous or disruptive conduct of any nature, including but not limited to: use of obscene or insulting language or gestures, loitering, running, yelling, fighting, throwing any objects, littering, playing radios or other audio devices, rollerblading, skateboarding, bicycling.

2. Standing, walking, sitting or moving in such a way as to cause inconvenience to others, or in or on a prohibited area or object.

3. Any act which could result in physical harm to persons or damage to property.

4. Any act prohibited by local, state or federal laws or ordinances.

5. Truancy.

6. Possession of an open container or consumption of alcoholic beverages other than in licensed areas.

7. Possession or consumption of illegal substances.

8. Distribution of literature or other items, offering any item for sale, solicitation, conducting surveys, videotaping or photography, without, in each instance, the prior written consent of center management under the center's Access Policy or other applicable policies.

9. Visiting the center without shirt or shoes, or failing to be fully clothed. Wearing clothing that is, or in a manner that is, obscene, offensive to others, that may provoke a disturbance, or is otherwise inconsistent with a first-class, family oriented shopping center.

10. Smoking.

11. Possession of pets or other animals, except dogs, is prohibited. Dogs and their owners must adhere to the Canine Code of Conduct at all times. Canine Code of Conduct is available at Customer Service.

The foregoing list of prohibited activities is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all prohibited activities on the Property, and management reserves the right to prohibit any activity or conduct which is detrimental to or inconsistent with a first-class, family oriented shopping center. Management's interpretation of these Rules of Conduct is conclusive and binding.

Violators of these Rules of Conduct may be subject to expulsion, banning, and/or arrest for criminal trespass or for other violation of law. Violators of banning orders may be subject to arrest and prosecution for criminal trespass. These Rules of Conduct may be amended or changed at any time and are in addition to all other rules and policies pertaining to the Property.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: June 02, 2017 01:57AM

I find #2 and #9 extremely subjective, but private property (church owned malls) can set discriminating rules and eject patrons at will.

Date: January 11, 2018 08:18AM

Any mall in America is private property. The rules seem reasonable to avoid disorderly conduct or half-naked people from roaming around.

The time I visited CC there was a middle-aged man whom I overheard security guards on their walkie-talkies describing who wasn't in violation of any of the above.

He was described as only a "middle-aged Hispanic, who'd just entered the premises."

I was on my way to using the lavatory when lo and behold there he was sitting on a bench between the men's and women's restrooms. Security swooped in on him, asking him what was he doing there? He answered he'd just gotten in from Texas, and appeared to be resting. They told him he couldn't stay and had to leave.

Whatever was "wrong" with him wasn't apparent to me other than he was dressed poorly, but not in tatters. He didn't look as though he was about to go on a crime spree.

Maybe they knew something another visiting traveler like myself couldn't pick up on. To me it appeared as though he'd been racially profiled, and for not looking wealthy enough to shop there.

#WWJD? Not.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2018 04:23PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 02, 2017 08:06AM

I guess their "dress code" keeps out the riff raff wal-mart shoppers.

Date: June 02, 2017 06:40PM

Sorry to say but the shopping malls in the New Jerusalem (Jackson Cty, MO,) can rival the City Creek Mall hands down.

If Jesus were going to choose between shopping at Kansas City, MO or downtown SLC, it may come down to a coin toss.

The stones and marble inlaid in the Kansas City shopping districts (at least the two main ones,) are imported from Italy. Kansas City has more Italian fountains than anywhere else in the world outside of Rome. It's purported to have more fountains than Rome.

Posted by: heliumsarmy ( )
Date: January 11, 2018 01:25AM

i heard the tscc has bought the plaze due to vics secret and is going to tear it down and build noahs plaza.

Date: January 11, 2018 08:50AM

Amyjo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sorry to say but the shopping malls in the New
> Jerusalem (Jackson Cty, MO,) can rival the City
> Creek Mall hands down.
>
> If Jesus were going to choose between shopping at
> Kansas City, MO or downtown SLC, it may come down
> to a coin toss.

A Roman Coin or an impossible to find Nephite coin ????

> The stones and marble inlaid in the Kansas City
> shopping districts (at least the two main ones,)
> are imported from Italy.

Yah, well, that Marble slab overlay treatment was going to be done at City Creek Center Mall but the financier of THE mall ended up with those huge facia plates being covered in (ugly) dark chocolate brown brick for their overlays instead ......BECAUSE THE (MORmON) Church RAN OUT OF MONEY TO SPEND.

> Kansas City has more
> Italian fountains than anywhere else in the world
> outside of Rome. It's purported to have more
> fountains than Rome.

.....BUT DOES THE KC MALL HAVE A SERIES OF FANCY CONNECTED CONVERTIBLE ROOFS FROM ONE END TO THE OTHER ???? Like CCC Mall does!!! That is a tribute to being able to control the weather, just like Jesus can and does !!!!..... on the rare occasions when He is actually around.

Posted by: afraid of mormons ( )
Date: January 11, 2018 03:04AM

#8--If TSCC's mall can have these stipulations, then I have a right to have the same rules for my private property, also.

I might print this up, and post it on my front door, next to my "no solicitors" sign, which the Mormons ignore.

Posted by: afraid of mormons ( )
Date: January 11, 2018 03:15AM

Even my high school-aged kids knew the city creek mall was a bad idea, when Hinckley announced it. They laughed, and thought Hinckley was kidding, at first. My inexperienced, happy-go-lucky kids knew the expense Hinkley quoted was waaaayyyy too low. They also could not figure out how the church could come up with the money, and NOT have any of it come from tithing, directly or indirectly. Kids who aren't brainwashed are wiser than brainwashed adults.

Who are the LDS Corporation's advisors, anyway? Probably BYU students, LOL. A BYU degree does not necessarily mean you had an education.

Oh yeah, the purpose of the city creek mall is to "restore and preserve Temple Square," (Hinckley) and not for "Let's go shopping." (Monson).

Anyway, just so you know, my children and I are boycotting city creek mall. We shop at Gateway, Fashion Place, or South Town Center, but mostly, we shop online.

Date: January 11, 2018 04:27AM

afraid of mormons Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> Who are the LDS Corporation's advisors, anyway?
> Probably BYU students, LOL. A BYU degree does not
> necessarily mean you had an education.

No need to look any further than the PR-of-it Profit who is really responsible for the entire CCC mall MORmON Vatican thing .....including the Olympics coming to Utah, the Utah Jazz being in Utah, and the Lite Rail Train to service the LD$ Inc MORmON vatican of Down Town Salt Lake City.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDhAIjF0wQI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIkVNWHT-IA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yCm4zFVIe0

who is a U of U grad BTW

Date: January 11, 2018 08:03AM

I don't get how any middle-class person can afford to shop there. There is no such thing as a bargain hunt at City Creek from what I saw of its upscale stores pricing of merchandise.

Macy's was having its usual chain store sales ongoing when I visited there. But that seemed to be the only one, and only selected merchandise. It has been in bankruptcy protection for several years in recent past. The sales items where back home my Macy's card gives me automatic discounts including on clearance things, City Creek's Macy's doesn't accept the automatic discounting - another sign of a bankruptcy action pending in that location.

The old ZCMI where Macy's is now had the bargain basement where my grandmother and mom loved to shop, and me as a kid. Those days are gone forever - and the ZCMI had a wonderful restaurant to top off a day of shopping.

You must be a local there. I'm making a mental note of where you like to shop in place of City Creek. Because if I get back that way on another trip I'll pay them a visit instead.

I've been doing more online shopping myself of late. But clothing I still prefer trying it on, checking the feel of the fabric, and for ease of returning something I like keeping it closer to home.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2018 08:27AM by Amyjo.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: January 11, 2018 02:31PM

Amyjo- we've had this discussion before. You're still under the illusion that City Creek runs like a "normal mall". The project was to protect Temple Square from the seedy side of SLC- just like the church buying Main street 15+ years ago. Yes, as some have suggested, the construction was a money laundering project for wealthy, connected Utah mormon construction and supply company owners. City Creek offered Apple free rent to be there. Rumors are, Nordstom's and others as well. How many people in Utah do you think buy from Tiffany, Michael Kors, Hugo Boss, Porsche Design, etc? Those stores don't sell enough to pay rent. Some business insiders have said that the church actually assists in payroll for companies to stay there. Like most things mormon, it's a facade. It's not what it appears to be.

Date: January 11, 2018 04:37PM

I didn't say it was "normal" anywhere in my comments.

It is an upscale mall for only the well-heeled obviously. Who else would be able to shop there?

My visit there on my last trip through SLC was the first one I'd made since I was a young adult, when it was still the old flagship ZCMI.

I remember it as it once was. That's the comparison I see now, is that it isn't there to cater to the general public, but the elite.

And as you say I can see it as a facade, if in fact that's what it was intended to be when it was built. It does a disservice IMO to the downtown environment though, and makes the church appear to be more out of touch with its own members let alone the community, than it already is. There is a huge disconnect there between reality and that storefront.

It's disappointing really. When I was eating lunch in its food court area I saw a sort of vision of the mall at an unspecified future date that looked like a bombed out or burnt out structure. Scary! Like a future ruins in time for future historians and archaeologists to be explored.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: January 11, 2018 04:51PM

It won't be a burned or bombed out structure. The church will prop it up for decades. They control Utah. The vast majority of SL residents never wanted SLC to sell Main Street to the church. But, the church twisted the right arms, pulled the right strings and paid off the right people to make it happen. They are controlling their environment and image. In another decade, most tithe payers will have no idea that the church built the mall and those condos. That fact will be added to the "anti mormon lies" file.

Date: January 11, 2018 05:15PM

From someone who worked in the shadow of the World Trade Center for most of a decade, I've learned to never say never.

Posted by: Trails end ( )
Date: January 11, 2018 11:39AM

Could cost the upkeep of several temples to keep this mall floating...imagine the overhead of back stopping hundreds of buildings that are no longer paying their way...then imagine your tithing river turning into an irrigation ditch as 1000 s vote with their wallet...no wonder there seems some angst in the tithing talks lately....could it be?...the stipends might be cut back...the first class flights become coach...the avalons become Chevys so Ballard can keep up appearances...fun to watch and see...tune in for dead boring bloviating sure to follow and holland blows a cork

Posted by: a nonny mouse ( )
Date: January 11, 2018 12:01PM

I have always thought that City Creek Mall was nothing more than a money laundering project. They just paid friends and family members obnoxiously large amounts of money to put up this pretty thing that looks nice next to their large and spacious building.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: January 11, 2018 12:26PM

"Let's go bar hopping!"

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.