Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: nomonomo ( )
Date: May 25, 2017 08:22AM

Interesting. She mentions drinking coffee more than once, and that girls led the services.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: UTtransplant ( )
Date: May 25, 2017 08:58AM

This was not written by a Mormon, and Mormons are pretty much the only group that doesn't drink coffee. Certainly the reactionary fundamentalist Christians I know all drink coffee (I grew up in the Bible Belt). However mysogony is common to many organizations, and that is the main point.

Posted by: nomonomo ( )
Date: May 25, 2017 09:41AM

What's a reactionary fundamentalist Christian?

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 25, 2017 09:43AM

a christian

Posted by: Liberal ( )
Date: May 27, 2017 07:06AM

There are progressive Christians. They are liberal. They are very different from the orthodox, evangelical Christians.

Posted by: UTtransplant ( )
Date: May 25, 2017 10:58AM

I use the word "reactionary" to describe those who scream so loudly they are being persecuted for trying to restrict the rights of others. Fundamentalism in Christianity is more for the biblical inerrancy and literalist types. Not all of them are reactionary.

Posted by: carameldreams ( )
Date: May 27, 2017 01:23PM

No. SDAs warn against coffee and most do not consume caffeine.

Posted by: deja vue ( )
Date: May 25, 2017 08:40AM

I believe FLDS can drink coffee. Cheryl could elaborate on the ways of the cult (polygamist's) as, from what I have read from her posts, she was raised in a situation similar to that of the OP.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: May 26, 2017 08:18AM

It's up to their leader and how he feels about it.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: May 26, 2017 09:09AM

As it is with everything in Mormonism :)

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: May 25, 2017 10:28AM

Thank you for posting. That was powerful and important. What a story! A lot of Mormonism is just the "lite" version of that woman's life. So inspiring to read of someone who who beat the pernicious beating down--just like so many here on RFM.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: May 26, 2017 01:34AM

That woman isn't connected in any way with Mormonism, but part of a fundamentalist Christian group that also claims that family with 19 children who had a TV show until the molestation scandal caused the show to be cancelled.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2017 01:34AM by adoylelb.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 26, 2017 02:34AM

I've seen the mini series (is it) advertised. I don't have hulu, but I want to get it just for this.

This gave me a lot to think about. I don't want to remarry. I grew up wanting 8 kids, had twins and was very depressed for a long time about being stuck at home, went out behind my ex's back looking for a job. My ex used to say to me that he made all my dreams come true and I told him I was dreaming the wrong dreams.

There have been many times since I had kids that I have had to stop and think if I'm still me. I don't hear my name all that often. I hear it more these days than I did for a long time.

Oh, just thought of the lds church calling people sister and brother and somewhere in there, my name became my ex's last name. My e-mails have my maiden name. I get asked about that quite often. I've had it that way since I first got an e-mail address.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 26, 2017 05:54AM

"Women in this world were treated much like those in 'The Handmaid's Tale' -- most, like my mom, didn't have their own bank accounts, didn't have their own email addresses, and couldn't leave the home without permission from their husbands."

Scary stuff. It's a wonder that some women in the Quiverfull movement are able to make it out.

That's a very good article. Thanks for posting it.

Posted by: Trails end ( )
Date: May 26, 2017 10:37AM

The plyg groups i knew drank coffee and liquor almost as a badge of honor to show the church...something...not sure what..some did some didnt...seemed it was to show what grown ups they were compared to infantile church guys....they also had a real belief that they were the chosen people who would redeem zion when the one mighty and strong returned...whatever that means...several lebarons and others all declared themselves the one mighty and strong...if memory serves this was to be joe in ressurrected form returned to set the church in order as they had abandoned the crowning principles such as plygmy and united order...plygs have it bad...they take feeling uber special to a whole new level...but geez ya know its only been what...120 years...maybe joe took the wrong off ramp at topeka and missed jackson county by 400 miles..dam liahona....could happen...i saw a pigfly just wednesday...and that dam prison just wont fall down for warnys true believers...not even the faith of a grain of mustard seed...there comes that day most people just have to ask...ya know...does this crap make any sense...the evangelicals seem sorely afflicted with the same STIs as plygs or morms

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.