Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: paulk ( )
Date: May 24, 2017 11:04PM

My ward goes to great efforts to label every ward-sponsored event as a "neighborhood" event.

Of course this is done in the name of inclusiveness. But in my mind there is always an undercurrent of "we need to invite those who are less enlightened, in the hopes that one day they might join us."

We had such an activity tonight. Most of the people there are decent enough folks. But out of 100 or so, I saw three people who I didn't recognize as active members. I'm not sure who they were, but it's clear the efforts to expand the activities to the whole "neighborhood" are not catching on.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: May 25, 2017 01:06AM

None of the non-Mormon neighborhood kids go to "trunk or treat," which everyone thinks is sort of lame. There's too much candy, already.

In the summer, certain Mormons are assigned to host a "neighborhood summer party" at their houses. But, true to form, the Mormon neighbors don't have the party IN their house, or even in their back yard, but out on their front driveway and sidewalk, instead. They make everyone bring their own meat and an assigned side dish to serve 8. My family never wants to go, so we make up some excuse. Our neighborhood is mostly non-Mormon, so the driveway party is not well-attended.

The Mormons used to have a "neighborhood" Christmas carol singing party. No--it wasn't in anyone's home, either. They would get a metal barrel, and light a fire in it, and stand around it, in the middle of the cul-de-sac, and sing Christmas carols. Everybody was too busy with their own family parties, and shopping, etc., so they stopped doing that. We kind of enjoyed that. There used to be a lot of deer wandering around the neighborhood, in the winter evenings, and with the snow, and people's lights, it was rather lovely.

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: May 25, 2017 01:27PM

None of the non-Mormon neighborhood kids go to "trunk or treat," which everyone thinks is sort of lame. There's too much candy, already.

In my opinion this is an exercise in exclusionary stupidity.

Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: May 25, 2017 02:15AM

I once suggested that our (small town Carnation, WA) ward host a once-a-month community dinner (buffet style); NO was the answer!

I was on the board of Habitat affiliate; when our new chapel was completed, I suggested that we host the meetings there;

answer: NO!

As I recall, there were numerous other opportunities (trade items before donating to D.I.) Answer: NO!

Posted by: UTtransplant ( )
Date: May 25, 2017 09:00AM

My town (heavy LDS) tried this for a while, but I am pretty sure only Mormons went. I haven't seen the door hangers for a "neighborhood" activity for a couple of years.

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: May 25, 2017 09:25AM

I got a call from a woman I had never met inviting our family to "neighborhood summer party". The conversation went like this:

Me: neighborhood party? Is this really a ward party?

Her: Oh no it's a neighborhood party.

Me: Oh. Are the Miller's invited? (the Miller's live next door to us and the ward boundary runs between us)

Her: Well no, they technically aren't in the neighborhood.

Me: I think they are, they just aren't in the ward.

Her: No response.

Me: If we come, what should we bring?

Her: A side dish for 8

Me: No main dish?

Her: No, the hamburgers and hotdogs are provided.

Me: Who is paying for those?

Her: ahhhh, the bishop.

Me: So, it really is a ward party?

Her: I suppose it is.

Posted by: speckles ( )
Date: May 28, 2017 11:01AM

LOL!!!

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: May 25, 2017 10:03AM

"Neighborhood party" is a code word for "mormon ward missionary event."

Posted by: laperla not logged in ( )
Date: May 25, 2017 12:26PM

So you're an innocent neighbor and you show up and find NO BEER allowed. Eventually one or more people display antisocial behavior (in addition to the no beer.) So now you stay away from those neighbors.

The good little girl in me wants to inform you all that I've never been much of a drinker. But its fun in a social setting.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: May 25, 2017 05:00PM

A month after we moved into our Utah house in a 75% LDS neighborhood, we were invited to a "summer BBQ", where we were asked to bring a meat to grill and sides and drinks would be provided. Being from Texas, I didn't trust their version of BBQ, so I pre-smoked some ribs and marinaded some large shrimp to grill. My wife and I showed up with a 12 pack and our meats. The first thing that stood out was that 2 sets of missionaries were there, in uniform. The host saw my 12 pack and told me that this was a non-alcoholic event (because children were present) and could I bring my beer home? I said "Sure". My wife and I went home, fired up our grill and invited a couple from her work over. Had a great time. I think it was disingenuous to disguise a ward party as a neighborhood bbq. Taught me a quick lesson in never trusting mormon neighbors. There's always a catch.

Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: May 25, 2017 05:06PM

Good for you!

Were you ostracized in the 'hood? Did they ever ask you why you didn't make it back after you returned the beer to your den of iniquity?

Date: May 25, 2017 05:26PM

Ostracized, yes. But it was us doing the ostracizing. The push to attend church stuff, the first few months after we moved in, was tremendous. Plus, our neighborhood was established with home built 18 years ago. Most of our neighbors had been ward members for almost 20 years and never socialized out of church. Just seemed like a dour crowd. At first we were polite about declining invitations to church, craft night, ice cream night, etc. Then, I had to get hostile.They always seemed to send over people from a block away, instead of my close by neighbors. I asked my next door neighbor (ex bishop and stake pres.) about this and he said it was to not cause conflicts between close neighbors. I asked him how long he'd been a mormon -"All my life" (he was about 60). I asked him, what would I have to do to get you to change your religion? He said "there's nothing you could ever do." I replied '"Well, I'm almost 40, do you think I'm going to change my lifelong religion just because I moved to Utah?"
He thought and said quietly "I guess not". We never talked religion again. He was a good guy. But I had to be downright rude for some of my other neighbors to get the point.

Posted by: laperla not logged in ( )
Date: May 25, 2017 07:34PM

Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: May 25, 2017 07:44PM

So he pretty much admitted that they knew this behavior caused conflicts but went ahead and did it anyway, they just sent in the 2nd team to do it.

Date: May 25, 2017 10:34PM

Yes. This guy knew the score. Nothing happens by random the LDS Inc. I'm sure he, and other close by neighbors, provided intel as to when we'd be home. How else would someone from 1 or 2 blocks away know our names and times we were home? Deep down, they must know they're perceived as obnoxious pests, but they keep on being obnoxious pests.

Posted by: Battle-Ax ( )
Date: May 25, 2017 12:29PM

I love it a neighborhood party. Well if it is a neighborhood party then I think I'll bring some beer and maybe a little wine. Hay it's a neighborhood party so if this comes my way I'm going with a beer in hand.

Posted by: So What ( )
Date: May 28, 2017 12:11PM

Battle-Ax, I love your attitude! Why worry about not being yourself. I would only argue that you should bring GOOD beer. Bringing supermarket horse-... is being as rude and condescending as everyone else.

Besides, a good cold IPA on a summer evening is close to heaven. Isn't that the point?

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: May 25, 2017 02:10PM

Our ward building is at the top of a hill, in an out-of-the way spot, just off a fairly busy road.

On Halloween, participating members backed their cars up in the parking lot, and open their trunk (full of candy) for trick-or-treaters.

The purpose for this, was to make safe candy available for anyone who knew it was available. (Masks that cover one's face, were not allowed.) They used to sponsor a scary alley to go through, but this got out of hand, so it was stopped.

Posted by: crathes ( )
Date: May 25, 2017 04:43PM

When we first built in our neighborhood (18 years ago) we started a block party tradition. As it grew, it became a sit down dinner for 150+ people, held in our yard. We had a large tent (think MASH mess hall size) for the food and the most senior neighbors. We asked all to bring either a side dish or chips or something like that. I provided the main dish and dessert. One year we roasted a whole hog (16 hours). Major hit. Major memories. No announcement in church. My wife and I would personally delivery invitations to all neighbors. People would literally schedule their summer vacations based on this.

We were asked by the bishop if we could move it to the church and have the ward pay for it. I explained it would no longer be a neighborhood party, but a church function, and would be obviously be a church function with all associated baggage. He did not get it.

Due to time constraints, we stopped hosting it. It is now held in another neighbor's yard (they asked to use our large yard, and we declined). It is now a "neighborhood" function, but announced only in church. Yup, it's now a church function.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2017 04:45PM by crathes.

Posted by: paulk ( )
Date: May 25, 2017 09:21PM

Well there were three people I didn't recognize. They could easily have been visiting members from out of town, or new people.

Posted by: Anon__ ( )
Date: May 25, 2017 05:35PM

3 out of 100?...that's pretty good. They do the whole neighborhood activities here, and I have never seen a non-member come. Of course, this is Utah where everyone is pretty leery of the mormons.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 25, 2017 05:38PM

Posted by: spiritist ( )
Date: May 26, 2017 12:03AM

In our neighborhood, close to the Mecca of Mormonism, we have annual 'neighborhood parties'.

The 'active Mormons' are normally good at getting the refreshments, advertising and finding a place to have the party.

Other than furnishing the refreshments, it is then the majority of people there, the 'non active or non Mos that take over the party.

Seems to me the active Mormons are much too busy to meet and converse frequently with the 'non Mos' so they hardly know them. It really shows up the these parties who really are 'neighbors with everyone' in the neighborhood.

Posted by: samwitch ( )
Date: May 27, 2017 06:52PM

I still get notices taped to the front door for "neighborhood parties." They are obviously ward parties, so I stay away.

Date: May 28, 2017 12:16PM

That's another point of contention with me. We go on vacation for 2 weeks. We stop the newspaper and our mail, so as not to leave clues that we're gone. Have our lights on timers and let our good neighbor know that we're gone. Come home to find 3-8 things taped on our door, most ward related. Pisses me off.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 28, 2017 02:29PM

Perhaps you could put up a notice -- "Do NOT tape any notices to our door or leave them on our doorstep."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.