Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: blueskyutah ( )
Date: May 24, 2017 02:22AM

Recently, it has occurred to me that some ex-mormons may find it beneficial to go through some time of ceremony that would help them psychologically or spiritually undo their temple covenants. If any of you think this would be beneficial or think this is a terrible idea, please comment.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: May 24, 2017 02:54AM

I think that if anyone uses another religious paradigm to renounce their mormon temple covenants, it's kind of like jumping out of the frying pan and in to the fire. The only real authority in your life is you. So you need to use only your own authority. I don't hesitate to bring up the blood oaths, and lack of modesty duringnthe initiatory ceremony. Let people know. Give your account of what a cult the church is. It's like a reverse testimony. But instead of lieing, just give your account of the truth. That's the best way to de-program yourself.

Posted by: relievedtolearn ( )
Date: May 24, 2017 09:21AM

Our words are powerful. Those covenants made in the temple were essentially words spoken in agreement with things you no longer believe.

I think it might indeed be helpful to make a verbal declaration that you choose to un-do those agreements.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: May 24, 2017 09:28AM

Pinching off a few into my temple hat might have been a satisfying ceremony.

Posted by: TXRancher ( )
Date: May 24, 2017 10:14AM

I get the idea and, yes, agree that something cathartic like that could be helpful. But I also agree that as azsteve says "use[ing] another religious paradigm" may not be very useful.

Just yesterday I chucked my temple clothes. I am moving and found the bag...it was a pretty good feeling, BTW. Not final closure on me getting out--that happened a year or two ago--just a bonus.

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: May 24, 2017 10:36PM

It was a joy to get rid of all the Mormon junk, lying around the house. Some of it was done ceremoniously, and some of it very un-ceremoniously. Invent your own little meaningful rituals!

I carefully recycled the BOM's and other Mormon scriptures, manuals, music, and books. I was going to save a tree! I was also saving innocent minds from being contaminated. (I didn't have the heart to burn a book.)

The best reverse covenant was very unceremonious. I sullied my garments and temple clothes by throwing them in the garbage can, with the coffee grounds and used cat litter. As I watched the garbage truck empty the can, then drive away, I sipped my coffee, and savored that moment!

I gave myself my own "Temple Divorce," with a professionally printed official-looking document, signed by people who have just as much "authority" as the Mormon authorities have. I got the exact words of the temple marriage ceremony online--maybe it was here on RFM--and used those words, in reverse, to "un-seal" myself from my wife-beater ex-husband.

I wrote in my resignation letter, that I declared my temple marriage null and void, along with all the other temple ordinances and "blessings" that become null and void upon resignation from the cult. I quoted the CHI.

I wish I could resign again and again. I might resign every year, with the mass resignation that takes place in SLC, every year. If the Mormons perform temple ordinances and baptisms on the same names over and over again, I can resign over and over again, right? I also want to resign, in case someone has done temple work for me pre-posthumously.

Maybe I'll have my kids keep resigning for me, every year, after I'm dead, just in case.

Posted by: perky ( )
Date: May 25, 2017 05:32PM

My wife and I find frequent use of temple language in many contexts. It now has new meaning.

For example: You get screwed over by your phone carrier: "Bow your head and say yes"

Bedroom quotes include: " Let him enter," and "we will go down." etc.......

Blaming someone for something you did: "The woman thou gavest me, gave of the fruit and I did eat."

Posted by: relievedtolearn ( )
Date: May 25, 2017 06:18PM

Breeze, I loved every bit of what you said except the part about wanting to resign every year. Haha. Maybe even that part--maybe it's like trying to pull up bind-weed, whose roots are very deep and spiral, so that it's really, really hard to kill!!

I wonder if the cutting of cords you did will, after a bit of time to let it sink in, turn out to have been enough.

I wonder for myself why I keep coming back here---instead of "just moving on." But I do find myself drawn back. Maybe there's processing that isn't finished yet.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 26, 2017 02:56AM

was enough. I guess becoming an apostate adulteress pretty much sealed the deal. (Still married for "business" reasons like INSURANCE.)

I come back here for "entertainment" and because my daughter is TBM and has a few mormon mothers who she worships. It has caused a lot of pain for me. I'll always have issues with mormonism I'm sure as long as I live. I'm a long ways from where I was when I first found this place.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: May 26, 2017 03:08AM

If you were doing it with your wife, you could make kinky outfits and have sexy signs and tokens.

Now that I know the endowment has equal validity to a five year old's tea party, I can't make myself believe another such party will undo the pronouncements of a random stuffed animal.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.