Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: May 23, 2017 09:00PM

About 30 years ago, I began my long journey out of the LDS belief system. It wasn't a smooth ride, by any means.

My then wife, when she realized I was not going to try anymore to be a TBM member, largely because I'm gay.... she took it upon herself to contact my former SP, who called me up to tell me there would be a "court" held in my "honor." I refused to meet with him, and also refused to attend the court. So they ex'ed me.

She was petrified that I'd try to take our kids out of Mormonism with me. I reassured her that 1) I would support their activity if they chose to stay in the church, and 2) I would not attempt to "recruit them out" at least until they became adults.

Over the years, they remained IN the church, and both married in an LDS temple. Those 2 days were probably the most difficult days of my life. I asked my older brother, as he went into the temple the day my son married, to tell my son that if it were in any way possible, I'd have been there with him.

10+ years have now passed, and during that time, I've talked often with my son, mostly about his career, family and the aspects of our lives other than the church.

Yesterday, things were a bit different when my son called me to talk. This time, he announced that he no longer has a temple recommend. He's doubting a whole lot more than I had realized. Polygamy, LGBTQ parent issues, racism..... and another handful of less serious "shelf items."

His exact words in our conversation: "A church that won't let a groom's father attend his wedding. How crazy is THAT!?" I replied that it was a pretty sensitive subject for me, even after all these years.

Well.

I am beside myself with hope & potential elation! I know, I know.... it's HIS life. It's his choice to stay, or to leave. And I've pretty much left him alone to live his life as he has seen fit. When/if he asks for advice or help, I'm ready & willing to give him some. But as for Mormonism.... he is awakening to the truth himself. He's owning it.

He hasn't made any definitive decision at this point.

But FUCK am I a HAPPY DAD right now!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: May 23, 2017 09:10PM

That's great, PapaKen!

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: May 23, 2017 09:19PM

This is wonderful...I am very happy for all of you.

:)

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: May 23, 2017 09:30PM

That's awesome PapaKen! I think you did the right thing by being a man of love and support for your children. I hope that someday I may receive a phone call similar to yours! Boner.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: May 23, 2017 10:21PM

That is great news. My ex never got to experience anything like that during his lifetime.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 23, 2017 11:04PM

That's really lovely, PapaKen! The real win is that you've maintained a good relationship with your kids. This is just the cherry on top. :)

Posted by: TXRancher ( )
Date: May 23, 2017 11:18PM

Great to hear and I wish only happiness to you and your family!

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: May 24, 2017 05:18AM

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: May 24, 2017 06:48AM

That is good news.

He's maturing.

Posted by: deja vue ( )
Date: May 24, 2017 07:05AM

I am thrilled for you Ken! I wondered how long it would take your son to come around. Once it crumbles to the point of his making these comments to you, it is over. YEA!!! Hope he decides to take it all the way and resign too.

Seeing the kids get out of the cult is a feeling beyond words. I was so relived/happy when my own children resigned. Grand kids are excelling too and not being indoctrinated.

Posted by: kj ( )
Date: May 24, 2017 12:42PM

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: May 24, 2017 04:11PM

Thanks everyone!

Will keep you posted.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 24, 2017 04:28PM

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: May 24, 2017 10:56PM

((((Papaken))) congratulations on this great progress your son has made and he shares those thoughts and feelings with you!

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: May 24, 2017 11:36PM

Own it baby!

;o)

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 25, 2017 08:34AM

It's nice when family members come out of their comas.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: May 25, 2017 11:53AM

When my daughter left TSCC, she apologized to me for getting married in a place where the bride's mother could not attend (I was still a member but on the fringe and not a full tithe payer when the marriage took place). And she said that she didn't know how I stood outside while I watched some of the awful "worthy" people go in and mentioned she didn't think she could have done that if it had been her kid. That was worth it all.

I know it's hard. You know it's hard. But that's why I tell people who ask if they should go and stand outside and allow themselves to be so demeaned that yes, they should go. Because if, down the road, you're one of the many parents whose children are figuring out the truth, you will be glad that they know for a surety, how much you cared about them.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.