Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 21, 2017 11:53PM

Is she reported (by whom?) & required (requested-demanded) to appear at an inquisition ?

Can she get an ecclesiastical endorsement?

Prolly someone here has seen this happen, I'm thinking...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: May 22, 2017 12:27AM

She will be excommunicated, kicked out of school, and pressured to give the child up for adoption. Typically, when you're kicked of a mormon church school, you end up with large student loans and college credits that are worthless at anywhere except for a mormon college.

Posted by: oregon ( )
Date: May 22, 2017 01:08AM

I am sure all of this happens with lots of love - which makes it all fine.

Posted by: oregon ( )
Date: May 22, 2017 01:09AM

That was sarcastic in case...well..you know...lol

Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: May 24, 2017 02:40PM

and most of my credits (except the religion classes of course) were accepted towards my degree.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: May 22, 2017 01:27AM

All of that happens, minus the adoption, happens when a girl reports a rape to the authorities. It was only the callous comment of an administrator that recently forced BYU to do some paper shuffling to stave off political fallout. The prevailing belief that a woman who is raped somehow deserved it hasn't changed. BYU behaving rationally is an anomaly that may not last.

There's a long history of the Honor Code Office stooping to the basest behavior possible, denying compassion to those who need it most. But then, being shat on by the HCO is probably the best thing that could happen to a Mormon. Anything that pushes you out of that steaming pile is a blessing.

So, if you "sustain the leaders", you endorse this callous disregard for humanity and innocence all in the name of a real estate empire that doesn't care who it crushes as long as it gets its money.

Posted by: LIE unto Kolob ( )
Date: May 22, 2017 02:52AM

Isn't that What Jesus Would Do?
Or more what Joseph Smith would do...

Posted by: windyway ( )
Date: May 22, 2017 06:43AM

I had a roommate who got pregnant with a boyfriend her family didn't know about and would have likely found unacceptable anyway. She solved her problem by marrying the guy and moving into their own apartment.

Afterwards, as her roomies we got outraged calls from her family, asking how we could let this happen.

It was in summer and we'd only known each other for a few weeks. Apparently her family believed that BYU would be an adequately controlling structure for this young woman.

I hope she is doing okay now...I'm impressed that she tried to take control of her life but I bet she was scared as hell...hope she didn't stay with the guy forever just to avoid complications.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2017 06:44AM by windyway.

Posted by: Donlon P. DeLamar ( )
Date: May 22, 2017 07:16AM

A thing that grieves me is the hypocrisy that my wife will sometimes show. She was sexually active at BYU. She never practiced safe sex, but never got pregnant. Then two of her cousins went to BYU, got pregnant and were kicked out. My wife got mad and actually said, I don't know how a girl who was raised Mormon can go off to BYU and get pregnant! I just looked at when she says that, and she's like, what? What? Then I don't talk to her for days. I found out that my wife had taken 5 1/2 years to complete a 4 year degree, and I asked her if maybe she had taken a couple of semesters off and had gone somewhere. She got really angry because I was essentially asking if she had gotten pregnant and left to have a baby. Turns out that she did stay at BYU, but was failing and was on probation, and had to repeat courses. She eventually made it, but I really thought that somewhere out there was an adopted love child.

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: May 22, 2017 07:44AM

The first conclusion I jump to when I find out someone has taken five and a half years to complete a 4 year degree at BYU is always that they went on a mission. In fact, I've known quite a few students at BYU who managed to complete their degrees in four years or 4 years and change in spite of the fact that they took off semesters to go on a mission. They either went to school year-round or took ridiculous class loads, stuff like that. I think it's pretty impressive when someone manages to graduate from BYU in five years with a two-year Mission thrown in. My brother's roommate did that, I think by taking lots of AP courses when he was in high school.

At any other school, or in high school, or in any other circumstances, it might be rational to suspect that a woman had to go away and have a baby, but confronting someone with that as the first and possibly only reason why someone took an inordinate amount of time to complete a degree might not be the most tactful thing to do.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2017 07:45AM by midwestanon.

Posted by: AnonToday ( )
Date: May 22, 2017 03:44PM

DW works part time as an RN at planned Parenthood. She has had a few patients come in for procedures (abortions) that gave BYU housing addresses. It happens.

Posted by: bigfun52 ( )
Date: May 22, 2017 06:20PM

I didn't get preggers, but was turned in by another student for being gay. I was immediately kicked out just two months from graduation. Lost my job (I worked in the Library) and was kicked out of my student apartment. All in 10 days. There is no love or compassion at BYU. Most of my credits would not transfer. It was a total night mare. This was 30 years ago and I still get sick to my stomach and angry when I hear about this kind of crap at BYU. I was lucky. I moved far from Utah, found a wonderful partner. (now legally married) after 20 years and have a wonderful
full life. Most kids now are chosing to end their lives. What the church does to it's youth that don't fit the mold is a crime.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 24, 2017 11:29AM

I'm so glad you are happy and have a long time partner.

Posted by: Kaitlyn ( )
Date: May 22, 2017 09:21PM

A quick trip to a back alley, then back to the books.

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: May 23, 2017 06:38PM

My sister's roommate had it done in Nevada, all of the girls knew, but nobody ratted on her. Not sure that would happen now.

Posted by: Southern ExMo ( )
Date: May 23, 2017 01:00PM

When I was going through college, I remember thinking how I would LOVE to go to BYU instead of the southern state university I was attending at the time.

My family couldn't afford to send me to BYU, so I stayed close to home and graduated at a nearby (considerably cheaper) school.

Yep, I really thought how awful it was that I could not go to BYU!

Now, after reading stories the stories that those of you who have gone to BYU tell,

I am SO THANKFUL that my parents could not afford to send me to BYU!

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: May 23, 2017 07:58PM

Mary, mother of Christ, clearly did not go to BYU.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: May 24, 2017 02:17PM

rhgc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mary, mother of Christ, clearly did not go to BYU.

Maybe she did. When the Honor Code office found out she was pregnant, they shamed her and kicked her out and expunged her records, so there's no record she ever went to college anywhere. And her credits wouldn't transfer...

Does the BoM say anywhere that Jesus was adopted through LDS child services? Hmm?

Posted by: kj ( )
Date: May 24, 2017 11:27AM

My room mate came to BYU pregnant from Michigan....not a Mormon.She said her husband was killed in a car accident.

A few months later the dead husband/boyfriend showed up for a visit.

No one turned her in.
She had her baby at Provo hospital & he/she was adopted.

After that she had a new boyfriend.

I've lost contact with her & all of those room mates.

Only one of the room mates was TBM.....3 nonmormons. I wasn't active.

Posted by: Bruce A Holt ( )
Date: May 25, 2017 05:24PM

She gives birth, unless she takes another option.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: May 25, 2017 07:34PM

We had a girl in our BYU student ward who got called into the inquisition when she was about 8 months pregnant. They grilled her about how she could have kept that hidden and been going to school while she was openly pregnant. She couldn't believe it and was asking them what the problem was with it, that there were plenty of pregnant married students.

Come to find out, she had the same Maiden name as her married name (Taylor, I believe), so she hadn't changed her name and it still showed her as a single student. But she said it was really scary and creepy how they were treating her and definitely threatening her student stauts and talking about church court.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.