Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: May 19, 2017 02:06PM

First, here's the 'toon:

https://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/01b6380dc76ede78001863e8607de7caec33490c/c=0-0-4146-3117&r=x483&c=640x480/local/-/media/2017/05/19/Phoenix/Phoenix/636307827261973279-Benson-Ailes-05-19-17.jpg

_____

Predictably I got a few responses from those who disagreed. To put things in perspective--at least from the artist's point of view--here's some relevant background reference material on Ailes:

“Roger Ailes, Polarizing and Controversial Fox News Founder Who Changed Cable News, Dies at 77"

by Stephen Battaglio
“Los Angeles Times”
18 May 2017

“. . . Ailes, . . . who died Thursday, . . . create[d] a cable news juggernaut at Fox News that provided an outlet for conservatives who felt their views were under-represented by the major broadcast networks. . . .

“Ailes’ death caps a period of turmoil at Fox News, which is still facing lawsuits over alleged sexual harassment claims by women who worked at the network.

“Ailes was ousted in July 2016 after embarrassing allegations that he had sexually harassed former anchor Gretchen Carlson. He dismissed the allegations, but he faced additional claims of misconduct and the company paid $20 million to settle the suit.

“He also was a subject of an ongoing federal investigation into whether 21st Century Fox violated any securities laws in its handling of payments to women to resolve sexual harassment claims.

“He was reported to have received $40 million in an exit agreement with Fox. . . . [H]e left in disgrace . . . .

“ . . . Rick Kaplan, a former president of CNN, . . . said Ailes was also a brilliant TV producer who was keenly aware that even with talking heads, he was working in a visual medium. Fox News always had state-of-the-art graphics and animation. His penchant for putting attractive women on the air, with legs displayed on the set, was well known. . . .

“Some former colleagues on Thursday praised Ailes’ contributions. . . .

“[Sean] Hannity asked the media to leave Ailes’ family alone to allow them to grieve. ‘But knowing that people . . . forget ‘all have sinned and fallen short’ and ‘cast the first stone,’ I doubt that will happen,’ he tweeted. . . .

“On social media, news of his death prompted many who had a different view of Ailes and his legacy to take him to task for creating a hostile workplace for women and minorities. Instead of a hero, some saw Ailes as a promoter of bigotry and fear, who left behind a culture of sexual harassment at the network he built.

“’Ailes was a monster who was pushed out of the network he founded because dozens of women who had worked for him came forward and reported that he had sexually harassed them,” said Matt Gertz, a senior fellow at Media Matters for America, a liberal media watchdog. “And the legacy he leaves behind is a propaganda machine he created in his own image that has done incalculable damage to the country.’"

http://www.latimes.com/business/hollywood/la-me-roger-ailes-dies-20170518-story.html
_____

For comparison purposes, here's a summary of Joseph Smith’s history of sexually-predatory behavior against women who personally experienced his over-bearing and, literally, his over-reaching patriarchally-perverse priesthood paws:

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1977902,1977905#msg-1977905
_____

Now, on to the complainer response regarding the Ailes cartoon:

--from Complainer A:

“Can't let it go even with the death of someone who of course made mistakes in his life.  Who hasn't.  You!”

--My response:

“'Mistakes in his life'is the understatement of the year.  He was a sicko sexual predator who even FOX couldn’t stand and fired him because of it. 

“Let it go.  He’s gone.  Thank gawd.“

--Reply back, from the same Complainer:

“Hm well I personally don't like or agree with what he did I find it troubling but the guy died I wouldn't have wasted my time but that's me”

--My response:

“You ain’t me.”

"That's for sure"

--My response:

"That’s for obvious.

"Because you ain’t me, Ailes gets a pass from you, not me."
_____

--from Complainer B:

“I did not know Roger Ailes. I do know of what he's been accused but never convicted.  If true, I find it to be disgusting and sick. What I find more disgusting and sick is your  cartoon . . . . . How low can you go? I have read your liberal crap for  years and said to myself, ‘That's just Benson. He's really got a hate on for (whoever)  today,’ and managed to go on with my day. HOWEVER, you have simply gone too  far this time, and, for the first time, I felt I had to put my two cents in. How anybody  can malign a dead person who cannot respond to such a vile, hateful caricature, no  matter what he did while he was alive, is beyond me. You have gone way over the  line this time, and I think you should pack up your hate and biased opinions and go 
the heck somewhere (anywhere) else to spread your liberal garbage. Good riddance. I want my [newspaper] of twenty-five years ago back, especially since you and a lot of other ultraliberal . . . editors and so-called ‘unbiased reporters’ weren't in it.Lately it has become nothing but a liberal rag, and you're the worst contributor of the lot. May Roger Ailes haunt you from his grave. 'Nuf sed.”

--My response:

“Not as low a sicko sexual predator Roger Ailes--who was sued by his victims and fired by FOX.

‘”Nuf sed.“
_____

--from Complainer C:

“I do believe you are a sick man who is instigating all of the hate that's going on.

“Have a blessed day”

--My response:

“Actually,  Roger Ailes is the sick man.

“After all, he was fired from FOX for being a sicko sexual predator. 

“How soon you forget.“

"And you are making fun of someone that just died. Do you think his family thinks it's justified.

"Have a great day & God bless,"

--My response:

"He deserves no praise, dead or alive. He was a predatory sexual stalker of female employees in the workplace, created a culture of harassment and fear at FOX, was terminated last year by Ruport Murdoch and led his company to have to pay out millions of dollars in settlements to his victims.

"The cartoon stands.

"P.S.: Here’s is some relevant information on his twisted reign of terror, in the event that you missed it:

“'Roger Ailes, Polarizing and Controversial Fox News Founder Who Changed Cable News, Dies at 77"

"by Stephen Battaglio
'Los Angeles Times'
18 May 2017

“'. . . Ailes, . . . who died Thursday, . . . create[d] a cable news juggernaut at Fox News that provided an outlet for conservatives who felt their views were under-represented by the major broadcast networks. . . .

“'Ailes’ death caps a period of turmoil at Fox News, which is still facing lawsuits over alleged sexual harassment claims by women who worked at the network.

“'Ailes was ousted in July 2016 after embarrassing allegations that he had sexually harassed former anchor Gretchen Carlson. He dismissed the allegations, but he faced additional claims of misconduct and the company paid $20 million to settle the suit.

“'He also was a subject of an ongoing federal investigation into whether 21st Century Fox violated any securities laws in its handling of payments to women to resolve sexual harassment claims.

“'He was reported to have received $40 million in an exit agreement with Fox. . . . [H]e left in disgrace . . . .

“' . . . Rick Kaplan, a former president of CNN, . . . said Ailes was also a brilliant TV producer who was keenly aware that even with talking heads, he was working in a visual medium. Fox News always had state-of-the-art graphics and animation. His penchant for putting attractive women on the air, with legs displayed on the set, was well known. . . .

“'Some former colleagues on Thursday praised Ailes’ contributions. . . .

“'[Sean] Hannity asked the media to leave Ailes’ family alone to allow them to grieve. "But knowing that people . . . forget ‘all have sinned and fallen short} and ‘cast the first stone,’ I doubt that will happen," he tweeted. . . .

“'On social media, news of his death prompted many who had a different view of Ailes and his legacy to take him to task for creating a hostile workplace for women and minorities. Instead of a hero, some saw Ailes as a promoter of bigotry and fear, who left behind a culture of sexual harassment at the network he built.

“’"Ailes was a monster who was pushed out of the network he founded because dozens of women who had worked for him came forward and reported that he had sexually harassed them,” said Matt Gertz, a senior fellow at Media Matters for America, a liberal media watchdog. “And the legacy he leaves behind is a propaganda machine he created in his own image that has done incalculable damage to the country."'"

http://www.latimes.com/business/hollywood/la-me-roger-ailes-dies-20170518-story.html

"I believe this conversation has run its course. Thanks for writing and have a good day."
_____ 

--from Complainer D:

“I don’t look at your cartoons regularly for all the reasons you have already heard a million times, but today the one you published about Roger Ailes took you to a new low.

“Even a cartoonist, (which is a stretch for you) could have at least a smidgen of decency immediately after someone’s death.”

--My response:

“Well, thank you for looking at the one today.  

“Robert Ailes hit a new low with his perpetuation of a sexual predation culture at FOX.

“Ask Rupert Murdoch, owner of FOX, who fired him. 

“And, yes, I am a cartoonist.  It’s just that my cartoons get under your skin.  

“And, no, I have not heard ‘millions of times’ the reasons you fail to cite.

“In fact, I’ve been hearing from readers who support the cartoon.

“Thanks for your interest in what I do.”
_____

--from Complainer F:

“Steven: . . . Not wishing bad things to happen but I can just see Bill chasing Monica through the same clouds. Cheers.”

--My response:

“I did plenty of cartoons on Bill Clinton chasing Monica, including during the 2016 presidential campaign of Hillary Clinton.   I also supported his impeachment. 

“I believe a bit more homework on your part would be helpful with regard to such matters.”

"Touche. I really just want to believe that there has to be ONE program/executive order or decision that 45 makes that you would agree with and show in a positive light with one of your witty cartoons. Imagine the shock to all your devoted followers. Cheers."

--My response:

"Trump is striking out--and your attempt to score one for this loser by defending the sexual pervert Roger Ailes is both astounding and nauseating."

"Your wierd interpretations of my comments leads me to believe you're out on the ragged edge. I had a thought that we could discuss positions without resorting to trash talking and putdowns. 5/4. Put your chart up and grind away on every up and coming Supreme court decision over the eight years.. Cheers"

--My response:

"You are the one who springboarded from Ailes to Trump, in an exchange where you admit that you are trying to get me to support Trump anyway, anyhow. Attempting to do that through means of a sexual predator is what is truly weird. Not to mention desperately disgusting.

"Good day, sir."

Edited 9 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2017 03:28AM by steve benson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cinda ( )
Date: May 19, 2017 02:18PM

Wonderful :)

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: May 19, 2017 02:44PM

His womanizing must have kept him going.
Since he died shortly after being canned, taking away his ability to wield corporate power to make women bow to his will and all.

:)

Date: May 20, 2017 03:29AM

From the same "LA Times" article cited in the OP:

"Ailes died after falling at home and injuring his head, according to the Palm Beach County medical examiner’s office. It said the cause of death was complications of a subdural hematoma, with hemophilia as a contributing factor.

Ailes was known to be in poor health.

“The actuaries say I have six to eight years. The best tables give me 10. Three thousand days, more or less,” he told biographer Zev Chafets in 2012.

“Because of my hemophilia, I’ve been prepared to face death all of my life,” Chafets’ book, "Roger Ailes Off Camera," quotes him as saying. "As a boy I spent a lot of time in hospitals. My parents had to leave at the end of visiting hours, and I spent a lot of time just lying there in the dark, thinking about the fact that any accident could be dangerous or even fatal. So I’m ready. Everybody fears the unknown. But I have a strong feeling there’s something bigger than us."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2017 03:35AM by steve benson.

Posted by: 64monkey ( )
Date: May 19, 2017 02:53PM

Now that's humor at it's best!!

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: May 19, 2017 03:17PM

LOL!!!! Perfection

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 19, 2017 05:21PM

Date: May 19, 2017 10:35PM

. . . be they in or out of the Mormon Church.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.