Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: May 18, 2017 11:27PM

How come so many people in American (or at least in So. California), appear to prefer the German/Aryan look--as is indicated by all the women in the church who dye their hair blond?

Even some of the most popular movie stars (Marilyn Monroe, being a prime example) followed this trend.

Also, my sister used to sit on our porch steps and put vinegar on her hair, to try and bleach her bangs to blond with the help of the sun. (This was in the early 1950ies.) (BTW, it works!)

Today, look around yourself in church, or at work, or when shopping, and see how many women prefer to be 'blonds' (with gray or dark roots). Maybe all the blonds in the church were due to blond-spreading countries who largely exported 'blonds-by-nature'.

As for me, I was always too lazy to 'become' a blond (too much upkeep). But as a child, I was a 'toe-head' up to about 5-years-old. My cousin, raised in Arizona, was also blond by nature (as the sun there did tend to keep 'born-blonds' blond).

My best friend was a true blond, but she too began to 'help this along' when her hair started to darken. (And, still does.)

About three decades ago, (when I went to church), there was a German young man serving his mission in our area. He stood erect and stiff, as if at attention like a German soldier would stand. At the end of his mission, his parents came to American, to our ward, as he wanted to 'show-us off' to them: Suitably 'blond-enough' to be acceptable to Germans?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: relievedtolearn ( )
Date: May 20, 2017 04:01PM

on a humorous note: I think people have fun if they have a sense of humor and good social skills. I was born blonde; my brunette sisters had more friends and more dates, etc.; we all ended up being able to have fun as we chose what we loved to do and were able to do some of it. Why people go to the trouble to dye their hair, wear makeup, etc? Probably there's that bit of enticement from movies, the miss America contests (when I was a kid, anyway) etc. But more actual fun? NAH.

Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: May 20, 2017 04:42PM

Years ago when I still had kids living at home, one of them left a blonde wig in my truck after a Halloween party. I put the wig on as I drove to work. It was fun seeing the looks I got as I drove, mustache and all. So, in answer to the question, I would have to say, "yes".

Posted by: ren ( )
Date: May 20, 2017 04:52PM

My hair is dirty blonde, but I started to have more fun after I dyed it dark reddish-purple (the same day that I took my last final at BYU-I, before transferring). The dye has faded out now though, and I think I get hit on more often by guys when my hair is blonde (which is useless, since I'm a lesbian).

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: May 20, 2017 05:28PM

ziller can confirm this thred ~

ziller am fun ~

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 20, 2017 05:37PM

I have pale blonde hair and it definitely gets attention. But I've known plenty of men who have a preference for brunettes.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: May 20, 2017 05:49PM

I'm brunette. It's been blonde men who've preferred me over blonde females.

Likewise I've been more attracted to blonde men.

Case of opposites attract?

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: May 20, 2017 05:54PM

Blondes have the highest divorce rates, if you can measure fun by that. ;)

"A study by Cheaterville.com suggests that blonde women are more likely to cheat than brunettes.

Recently, dating and social media site Cheaterville released a survey of its users on the topic of hair color and cheating. The website is a place where you can publicly call out cheating partners — their slogan is "Don't be the last to know" — and see names of others who have cheated. According to their results, hair color seems to play a role in how likely you are to cheat.

Cheaterville's survey found that blonde women are more likely to cheat than brunettes, whereas male cheaters are more likely to have brown hair. In fact, 43 percent of female cheaters were blonde (and blondes are, what, 5 percent of the population?), 23 percent were brunette and 11 percent had black hair. As for the men, 40 percent of the unfaithful had brown hair, 23 percent had black hair, 20 percent were blonde and 5 percent were redheads.

However, and this is a big however, this study is quite easily criticized for not taking into account factors such as baldness, hair dye, wigs ... anything that could skew the data. Women are more likely to dye their hair than men, so that could take into account why the male statistics more accurately reflect national averages regarding actual hair color. We all know ladies like to go blonde. Additionally, much of the data can be considered anecdotal and thereby less reliable."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2017 06:01PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: May 21, 2017 03:24PM

Maybe blondes have more opportunity to cheat. Or, men being like dogs, they're dumb enough to be a doggie treat. But now I'm just making enemies. Blonde kitty getting her claws out.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: May 20, 2017 06:55PM

"Gentlemen prefer blondes--but they marry brunettes!"

(A blue-eyed brunette, in my case. When young, my best romantic relationships were always with blue-eyed brunettes.)

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 21, 2017 09:50AM

That's a heart-stopping combination! You don't see it that often in the U.S.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 21, 2017 06:07PM

My whole family, brothers and sisters, are all blue-eyed brunettes, as is my son.

My daughter is a true blonde. Her father is also blonde.

I have a sister who is fake blonde. She did cheat on her husband several times and then divorced him.

My daughter is the TBM. Do blondes have more fun? She does travel a lot, but she is SO MORMON it is ridiculous.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.