Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: bluebutterfly ( )
Date: May 18, 2017 07:54PM

I recently got together with a long-time friend who is an inactive Mormon. I don't think she considers herself an ex-mo. We've never really discussed at length either of our feelings about the church. She's always been a partier and has never really lived like a Mormon. Her sisters and grandmother are VERY TBM. Her mother has always been an 'inactive' as long as I've known this family. Her inactive mother recently got sealed in the temple to her husband of 10+ years. This woman is in very bad health and doesn't expect to be around much longer. My first thought upon finding that out is that she was coerced into it out of fear by her TBM daughters because she is close to death. This poor woman is bed-ridden and in tons of pain, so why else would she get out of bed for the temple when she's had her whole life to do that otherwise?

When I got together with my friend, our mutual nevermo friend was with us. She mentioned to the nevermo friend that her mom recently got sealed in the temple and the reaction was, "OMG that's so sweet! How special!". I had to stifle my reaction.

I shouldn't be surprised that a nevermo had such a positive impression of the temple, considering that even being raised Mormon I never had an inkling of what went on in there (until finding this website!!) I sincerely wish that more nevermos would know the truth so there would be less conversions. Or maybe the church will implode on its own.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: yetagain... ( )
Date: May 18, 2017 08:29PM

from an architectural perspective, the temples are a piece of shit.

Posted by: shapeshifter ( )
Date: May 18, 2017 09:56PM

YES I am sure it was because she got pressured because of possibly being near death. OR she actually got scared herself and figured she may as well go through with it 'just in case'..

I got surprised how some of my ex-Mo friends growing up went back into it after getting scared. One in particular had a serious traumatic experience where she hit an old man with Alzheimer's who was in the middle of the road late at night and when she saw him it was too late. He went through her windshield and died pretty instantly!

So I understood she had a shock. But is that reason to go back to the cult? I guess it is for some. Esp. those who were merely rebellious and who had not actually gotten deep into doctrine or questioning, just didn't like going to church. (and really who can blame them!).

I also agree that never-mo's need to know the truth! That is especially important! Because the image that the LDS church gives off (very much intentionally so) is of being benign at the least and rather strict at the worst. But that image of the temple being 'special' really does seem to convince outsiders as well. Or they at least think it's harmless enough.

They don't consider that it being so restricted for only certain members that anything really weird and devious could be going on inside. Even when I was a mormon and growing up with that 'religion' I had thought of the temple as a special 'sacred' holy place. And even when I decided the 'church' wasn't for me. I still didn't know how crazy the temple ceremonies were.

I am only now decades after the fact finding out thanks to the internet and spy cameras!

Never-Mo's really do need to be educated so they don't think it's harmless. They need to understand the levels of control and indoctrination and how this on the surface 'family oriented' religion does nothing but cause parents to neglect (and often times out right abuse) children because of their never-ending church obligations. The illusion of closeness that Mormon families feel for one another has more to do with the sort of bonds they feel as those who have experienced trauma together like war veterans and because of the feeling of belonging that only has to do with being in the same cult together!

I do my best to tell never-mos about the hidden side of the LDS 'church' and show them how its really a cult and that the members are imprisoned.

Posted by: shapeshifter ( )
Date: May 18, 2017 09:57PM

And yes I agree with 'yet again' other temples from other faiths are generally much more impressive and inspirational architecturally and decoratively.

Posted by: nomonomo ( )
Date: May 19, 2017 06:38AM

Yes, uninformed people probably think a "temple wedding" is like having a wedding in a cathedral, or any other dramatically beautiful but otherwise innocuous place.

Posted by: Jersey Girl ( )
Date: May 19, 2017 08:45AM

When I first moved to Utah briefly years ago, that is exactly what I thought, that the Temple inside was like a beautiful cathedral. Imagine my shock at finding out what really went on there and the tacky rooms that Mormons had to move through and do their weird and scary endowments.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 19, 2017 09:52AM

She has been inactive and living a very not mormon lifestyle for years. She's 55. She still likes on fb the temple stuff my TBM daughter posts and she was so impressed with the Brigham City temple when she took the tour at the open house, as well as her never mormon ex-husband and his never mormon mother.

Mormons still tell my younger sister things like "I felt your mother while I was in the temple" and she buys right into it. I tell her, "Why would mom visit someone else and not you? Don't let them hijack our relationship with our mother."

I know my sister would never watch the movies that are available. My siblings still live in fear of some of the teachings of mormonism. They despise mormonism, but they haven't studied their way out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2017 09:54AM by cl2.

Posted by: lolly18 ( )
Date: May 22, 2017 05:57PM

Or maybe no one pressured her, but she realized she'd let it go too long and needed to take care of it before her death. Why infantilize her as though she couldn't make up her own mind?

Posted by: bluebutterfly ( )
Date: May 22, 2017 07:12PM

She has never lived a Mormon lifestyle.
She has been married several times (but never a temple marriage).
She has been married to her current husband (not the father of her children) for 10 years and just now decided to 'get sealed'.
She is very ill, bed-ridden, and nearing death.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: May 22, 2017 09:33PM

I've always enjoyed the exterior architecture of the temples. The older ones especially. The Washington D.C. was the last one built on a grand scale. Those ones are historical landmarks IMO, more than the newer mini ones that have been built since.

Posted by: quatermass2 ( )
Date: May 23, 2017 07:51PM

Anyone who has seen the final "hotel room" scene from 2001: A Space Odyssey would instantly recognise the celestial rooms in Mormon temples.

Posted by: honest one ( )
Date: May 23, 2017 08:13PM

My daughter got pressured into joining the Mormon church after she and hubby (Jack Mormon for yrs) went through a bankrupcy. I know she was beside herself, losing her home, most likely a car, etc. It is a shame how the family of her hubby must have talked her into "joining" finally so "all their problems will go awway." That is hhow they operated...scaring them. She did not attend regarly for 5 yrs. ... then slowly back at it with family near them. It is all sickening and what goes in that Temple is something ALL should learn about. I certainly learned through this site and others. VEry grateful.

Posted by: RRman6013 ( )
Date: June 18, 2017 02:59AM

I've always enjoyed the exterior architecture of the temples. The older ones especially. The Washington D.C. was the last one built on a grand scale.
===============================================================
It's actually in Kensington, Maryland. It obviously reminded someone of a certain scene from the Wizard of Oz. There's a railroad overpass that you see on the Beltway (I-495), directly in front of the temple. From time to time, someone will spray paint "Surrender Dorothy" on the overpass. It's never up there long; I assume because some irate bishop with no sense of humor gets on the phone to have it painted over.

Posted by: nomonomo ( )
Date: June 18, 2017 09:46AM

The WDC temple is a ghastly monstrosity.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.