Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: May 18, 2017 02:17PM

Watched some videos, a couple show Cowdery listening to JS behind a curtain, but a couple show him writing at a table with JS dictating and the plates are *right there*, and after the "gift of translation" revelation, Cowdery is shown intently looking at the plates trying to translate.

Why then, would he have to go out in the woods later to BE A WITNESS to the plates!?

I've never heard an apologist tackle this, but I guess they'd say "Movies and art aren't history." and then change the subject to answer the question I should have asked.....

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Eastbourne ( )
Date: May 18, 2017 08:24PM

I know what you mean.

Lots of inconsistencies; consider Alvin. Smith sees his late elder brother in CK heaven, and he hadn't been vicariously baptized.

What's with that?

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: May 18, 2017 09:16PM

Good eye Chicken.

Posted by: shapeshifter ( )
Date: May 18, 2017 09:43PM

LOL.

Yup LOTS of inconsistencies. I like the one about Smith seeing his brother in the CK.

It's like in my family. When relatives have been near death and see other deceased family members waiting for them on the other side.. but not all active in the church or church members.

For example I had an uncle pass this year who has not been mormon for a few decades (though raised so), and neither was his brother who passed a few years ago. Their father died a few decades ago and while technically still a member he certainly wasn't a 'good' one and might not even had held a temple recommend when he died.

So apparently my uncle sees both his brother and dad waiting for him but my mom choses to interpret this as that they will all be in the CK together and she'll in turn join them when it's her time.

I think she also sees God as forgiving. Which isn't a bad way to be but it's inconstant with her Mormon church's doctrine which is very strict about entrance into the CK.

And of course all of those movies about early church history are WAY off in SO many ways. Like Joe's 'first vision' which supposedly happened when he was 14 but he didn't tell anyone about it until (I forget how many) several years later after he started Mormonism.. you'd think he would have wanted to tell people sooner had it really happened when he said it did. PLUS the fact that he joined Free Masonery (and I think also the Methodist church, is that right?) AFTER his vision of God and Jesus who told him that ALL churches were FALSE and NOT to join ANY of them.. but then he did anyway??

And of course he's portrayed as a saint even as a young boy (which according to real history is FAR from the truth.. as he had a reputation for being a con man and a 'treasure hunter).. and when I was a kid watching that crap I really fell for that portrayal that he was so perfect and had such perfect faith that he was able to ask God for help and God actually appeared to him because of his perfect faith. Because a 14 year boy was the ONLY person since Christ came to earth that had that kind of faith!!

It all seemed so magical and being already brainwashed by Disney movies at the time, it was easy to believe in that as a child.

Watching it now however it seems like obvious propaganda! And I wonder how any adult can watch that crap and believe it!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.