Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SonOfLaban ( )
Date: May 11, 2017 06:17PM

http://www.sltrib.com/news/5277703-155/kutv-anchor-shauna-lake-arrested-on

Have you ever done what Shauna Lake has done?

Me: When I was young.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: carameldreams ( )
Date: May 11, 2017 06:24PM

Great post!!

Why did her co-anchor 'tear up' ffs?

Date: May 11, 2017 06:28PM

Have you been drinking while operating a motor vehicle?

https://www.google.com/search?q=news+anchor%2C+DUI&oq=news+anchor%2C+DUI&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.8792j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Many news anchors have. It is possibly due to the gigh-stress nature of reporting tragedies so often.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: May 12, 2017 11:53AM

"Why did her co-anchor 'tear up' ffs?" Shauna is/was his broadcasting partner. Long time rumors that they were having an affair. I saw them together having drinks in a SLC bar. They looked pretty chummy.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: May 11, 2017 06:25PM

Nope. And I never will.

But there's a lot going on with her. Driving with an open container? Seriously? Switched up license plates? That's messed up and asking for trouble.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 11, 2017 06:28PM

Does High count?

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 11, 2017 06:31PM

I'm prone to migraines and I saw my sister go through a hangover and there is NO way I want to go through that. In Utah, the legal limit changed to a much lower amount.

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: May 11, 2017 06:33PM

Several times in my 20's not since. You get smarter as you get older.

Posted by: slayermegatron ( )
Date: May 12, 2017 04:12AM

People get smarter, or they die in the process...

Posted by: EXON46 ( )
Date: May 11, 2017 06:41PM

Not that I can remember

Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: May 11, 2017 08:08PM

LOL

Date: May 11, 2017 08:12PM

I'm embarrassed to say I did a few times in my very early 20's as a jack mo. I had never even heard the concept of moderation in anything.

Posted by: cinda ( )
Date: May 11, 2017 06:52PM

Yes, and I had two DuIs in Utah years ago. No, I am not proud of it and of course, there were extenuating circumstances! The most expensive mistakes I have ever made :(

Date: May 11, 2017 07:05PM

cinda Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes, and I had two DuIs in Utah years ago. No, I
> am not proud of it and of course, there were
> extenuating circumstances! The most expensive
> mistakes I have ever made :(

Because people are silenced by shame, many others suffer the same potholes of life. If everyone shared their struggle with the cost of errant behavior, the world might avoid lotsa grief.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: May 11, 2017 07:14PM

Nope.
If I drink, I sit and wait or have somebody else drive.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: May 11, 2017 07:25PM

No, but I was hit by a drunk driver once.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: May 11, 2017 07:45PM

Lots of black-out driving, too (not remembering how or when I got home, not remembering where I parked the car, etc. etc. etc.) ETC!

I'm a good boy, abstinent (or should I say obstinate?) long enough that I have grown children who have never seen me drunk. I put my misspent youth to good use, and indulged my mid-life crisis by changing careers and becoming a cop. To be very immodest, I was the go-to guy for DUI's in my district; other guys would request me by name for back-up on their DUI's.

Incidentally, in Massachusetts putting an unassigned plate* on a car is felony. I hope the prosecutor and the judge make a very public example of her, excuses, stress, and "extenuating circumstances" be damned.

* Our term is "Attaching (an illegal) Plates," and is an automatic arrest and impounding of the vehicle.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 11, 2017 07:59PM

I have in my youth and was lucky to have evaded arrest. I was nearly killed by a drunk driver when I was 26. He ran a red light and struck the back wheel of my motorcycle. The police estimated his speed at seventy, and I couldn't walk for weeks. My spine was never the same again. The perp got just two days in jail. I got a bad back for life.

Posted by: Hockey Rat ( )
Date: May 12, 2017 01:36PM

My father was hit by a teenager when he was driving his motorcycle also. The kid wasn't drunk though. My father went flying through the air, his helmet was dented and scratched and his jacket was torn. He just broke his ankle. The cop said the helmet and jacket saved his life.
My dad said also , since in was in the Airborne at the time, he knew how to land to avoid the most impact.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: May 11, 2017 08:12PM

ziller can confirm this thred ~

ziller am driven while drunk ~

Posted by: csuprovograd ( )
Date: May 11, 2017 09:01PM

Yep.

Posted by: Free Man ( )
Date: May 12, 2017 12:01AM

Nope and I never plan to be drunk. They say drink responsibly, but how do you become more responsible when drunk? I like to retain my faculties - not act like a fool.

I've heard guys laughing about their DUI's. Attempted murder is funny?

Amazing that we tolerate all the deaths. Saw a guy on the news that had his 8th DUI. We really don't care, do we. I guess even the legislators are drunks, so we can't pass laws to protect the innocent.

BTW, has anyone shot at their neighbor's house?

Date: May 12, 2017 12:49AM

Free Man Wrote:
> They say
> drink responsibly, but how do you become more
> responsible when drunk? I like to retain my
> faculties - not act like a fool.

Excellent points, Free Man. To focus on just one (above), when people ask why I don't drink* and I don't want to get into the matter of recovery, I just quip, "I've killed too many brain cells already. Can't afford to lose any more!"

* Very rarely does anybody question that. Society has advanced, it seems, to where people don't think you "have to have a drink" to relax and socialize.

Date: May 12, 2017 09:19AM

Free Man Wrote:
> Nope and I never plan to be drunk. They say
> drink responsibly, but how do you become more
> responsible when drunk? I like to retain my
> faculties - not act like a fool.

Drinking responsibly means not getting drunk. There's gray area in there between that black and white. :-)

And no, I've never shot at my neighbor's house. Why do you ask?

Date: May 12, 2017 09:37AM

lillium Wrote:
> And no, I've never shot at my neighbor's house.
> Why do you ask?

Two things drunks should never, ever have access to:

Car keys
Firearms

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: May 12, 2017 09:50AM

Add cell phones to that list.

Date: May 12, 2017 10:27AM

And engagement rings.

Date: May 12, 2017 01:25PM

:)
Great additions!

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: May 12, 2017 12:54AM

I've posted to RfM while drunk. IRL, I don't drink and drive. I use a designated drunk driver.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: May 12, 2017 03:27AM

no.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: May 12, 2017 03:36AM

No, because my one-armed uncle Pete used to come and visit us in the mountains, and he could throw down shots of whiskey faster with his one arm than Pop could with two.

Then we all got in the car.

Anyway ....

no.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2017 03:38AM by kathleen.

Posted by: slayermegatron ( )
Date: May 12, 2017 04:14AM

I have never driven drunk, however, there have been a couple scary taxi rides through the streets of beijing with a drunk taxi driver.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: May 12, 2017 05:43AM

Yes, frequently when I was a practising alcoholic (mid 80s to 2002).

Not since.

Posted by: Jimbo ( )
Date: May 12, 2017 09:17AM

Yes in my late teens and early 20's.Not driving really drunk but buzzed and probably over .08 Would never do that now .I really never have more than a drink or 2 anyway and certainly would not drive.

Posted by: East Coast Exmo ( )
Date: May 12, 2017 11:15AM

Never.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 12, 2017 11:15AM

There goes Lake's news career in Utah.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: May 12, 2017 11:16AM

I once drove while stoned. I was more baked than I thought. But I made it the half mile from the hotel to Del Taco and back without incident.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: May 12, 2017 11:51AM

Hell yes. I grew up in Texas, where drinking and driving wasn't a crime-it was a hobby. The "designated driver" was the one of us that wasn't throwing up. You had to crash your car or badly weaving to get arrested. Most of the time, if you got stopped, the cop made you pour your beer out and sent you home. There were no open container laws.

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: May 12, 2017 12:02PM

Nope.
1. Driving while intoxicated leads to accidents and deaths
2. Drunk driving requires a car to drive (college student on the GI Bill).
I am able to ride a bicycle after a couple of drinks no problem though.

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: May 13, 2017 12:17AM

Technically, riding a bicycle while drinking is considered a DUI period if you blow the legal amount to be considered intoxicated, that is. My understanding is operating any vehicle or NE thing with wheels wall drinking is a DUI. I don't know about stuff like skateboards though.

And yes unfortunately I have.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: May 12, 2017 01:21PM

No, but to be fair I didn't start drinking until my 30s so I presumably started with a head on my shoulders. I have no doubt that had I been a drinker in my late teens early 20s I would have made a mistake.

Possibly a bit judgemental but an older person who drives drunk has a drinking problem. A younger person who drives drunk has a youth problem but not necessarily a drinking problem.

The worst of all is the brainwashed Mormon who doesn't have an internal decision making mechanism and thus acts like a teen. I'm glad that I didn't end up in that place. Even if my maturity was purely accidental.

Posted by: Finally Free! ( )
Date: May 12, 2017 01:29PM

No. As a TBM, I didn't drink at all of coarse, I was after all a TBM and alcohol was evil.

After I left the church, I was well past partying years. I did try wine and a beer or two just to try it and it wasn't bad, I prefer a good Chardonnay, but I've never seen the point of getting drunk, I kind of like being in control of my faculties, knowing what I did last night and not waking up with a blinding headache, so I avoid that.

There's also the fact that my Grandfather was an abusive alcoholic, it took him years to realize what he was doing to his family and finally managed to stop, fortunately he did this before he had Grand kids. To us he was the kindest, most generous, gentle, wonderful guy I could think of he was an amazing Grandfather. That alcohol could turn him abusive and frightening has given me plenty of reason to not really want to drink all that much. I realize that alcohol doesn't do this to everyone and I'm not against drinking it myself when the occasion warrants, but knowing that that's in my family history and possibly in my genes gives me plenty of caution.

Add to that, the thought of all the damage I could do to lives and property if I got into the drivers seat while drunk, well, that has always kept me from driving after even a single glass of wine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2017 01:31PM by Finally Free!.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: May 12, 2017 01:58PM

She was allegedly drunk, had an alcoholic drink in the cup holder, driving an unregistered vehicle, and had an illegally transferred plate on the vehicle.

Damn, that's a hat trick plus one. At least she managed not to kill anyone, but this is not going to end well.

I doubt if I ever drove over 0.08. Twice when I thought I might have been over, I drove a block to a fast food joint, had something to eat and read the internet for an hour, and in one case took a car nap for 45 minutes after that.

I once had a ride with a guy in college who was black-out drunk. Never again.

The swapped plate thing is what floors me. That's just being cheap, stupid, lazy or all three.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: May 13, 2017 03:04AM

Brother Of Jerry Wrote:
> She was allegedly drunk, had an alcoholic drink in
> the cup holder, driving an unregistered vehicle,
> and had an illegally transferred plate on the
> vehicle.
>
> Damn, that's a hat trick plus one. At least she
> managed not to kill anyone, but this is not going
> to end well.

well over ten years ago, about midnight, I was driving home. (Hopefully that is enough of my personal info to satisfy any cops.) Oh, and it was summer time. On state street at about 1700 south, I saw some woman in a rusted out bright yellow TR-6 driving like an idiot. The muffler on the TR-6 was shot, making it very loud, accentuated by the wild driver's purposely heavy intermittent use of the throttle. At one point, I noticed that the TR-6's plates had been expired for several years as it shot past me. The top was down. The driver was prominently displayed in the convertible. She was zipping up and down the road and flipping U turns at any place on state street or wheeling the car around in parking lots like mad, including loudly whooping and waving her arms the air in some kind of exulting when not having to use her arms to roll the steering wheel of the vehicle for another wild whip around. She obviously wanted to be a spectacle and have people know that she was having a monumentally great time. This is an assumption on my part, I have to doubt that the car was insured.

I know enough to know that IS not the kind of activity that SLC cops approve of. I am talking about the kind of disapproval that abruptly ends a *happy* person's good time. AND cops have been known to prowl state street on summer nights. I have been pulled over in that very spot for FAR LESS than what was going on with the TR-6. It was a very intriguing situation, so against better judgement, I decided to hang around the general area to see how that deal with TR-6 and its wild driver would be worked out.

Even more amazing than the woman's highly erratic attention grabbing driving and car along with the fact that she never did run her car into anything, is the fact that she carried on in her wild driving antics for about 20 minutes before disappearing with out encountering any police. I would not have been able to drive like that for 30 seconds with out being arrested. It was so bizarre, and she was so obviously enjoying her outlandish behavior that I stayed in the area for another 20 minutes because I thought that it was very likely that she would reappear to continue in her wild driving exploits Until she was finally apprehended or finally crashed, and I did not want to miss that very expected grand finale. ......Maybe she did crash the thing in some back alley where it was not possible for me to see what had finally happened.

It was simply amazing to watch her get away with what I did manage to observe.

Posted by: Jersey Girl ( )
Date: May 12, 2017 02:04PM

Yes, when I was young and stupid and passively suicidal. Thank God or the fates nothing bad happened, not even stopped by a cop. Of course this was many years ago, and I am horrified to think of the risks I took.

Posted by: Anonish ( )
Date: May 12, 2017 02:31PM

Every weekend from 16 to 20. Stopped drinking joined the church. Didn't drink again until I was 48 when I left. Have not driven drunk since.

Posted by: jabes ( )
Date: May 12, 2017 02:31PM

Advantage to living in a big city: I never have to drive anywhere I plan to drink -- that's what public transport, cabs, Lyft and/or walking home half a block from the local bar are for.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: May 12, 2017 04:36PM

^^This^^

I'm a city gal. No need to drive.

Date: May 12, 2017 08:01PM

I have NEVER driven while drunk/ intoxicated. Not even close.

HOWEVER, I have had the experience of being arrested for DUI in Utah.

Let me illuminate my experience for anyone who might be interested.

My preliminary Blood test taken after I was arrested showed nothing, as in NO unusual chemicals in my blood stream.
The full on laboratory test for intoxicants in my blood and urine samples came back ALL ZEROS way past the decimal point, ALL ZEROS !!! just as those tests should have indicated because I had not used any intoxicants. I am not a drinker, I am not a drug user. That said, I was still VERY worried that the tests would come back falsified and dirty, because I have had previous experience with the legal system and I know FIRST HAND just how dirty, crooked, corrupt, and completely self serving and subjective that the legal system really can be.

IN addition to my own dismal first hand experiences with the legal system, in a larger picture I would like to point out that Utah is the State where the UHP trooper in charge of DUI apprehension training for the entire state of Utah was arrested for DUI WHILE ON DUTY. It was well known in law enforcement circles That UHP officer was regularly intoxicated while on duty. A Draper city police officer finally got fed up with that situation and arrested that POS UHP officer after the UHP officer had banged up his UHP cruiser because he was DUI. Also the award winning top UHP officer for DUI arrests was later busted and fired for falsifying reports. Utah is also the state where a state crime lab expert shot and killed himself on the job while handling an evidence firearm. I do n't trust those people!!!!

It normally takes 2 weeks to get lab results processed. My tests took twice that long to come back. I know that because I monitored the process as closely as I could. I am guessing that the tests came back completely NEGATIVE, so the UHP decided to run them again to be certain, so the back up run took twice as long while I was left hanging wondering what the tests would indicate when they came back. The entire time, I was very nervous, because I do NOT trust the legal system.

Full disclosure, I was pulled over because I improperly used the HOV lane. All of the regular lanes had been taken up by very slow moving cars, Including some dumb ass in a bold green early 80's Nissan pick up who was going 50 mph and decided that he needed to use left hand lane in front of me. I made the mistake of using the HOV lane to pass him. That upset the UHP officer behind me. That officer pulled me over. That officer was a total jerk. He wanted to know exactly where I was going. I told him the name of the town where I was headed. He wanted/ DEMANDED to know why I was going there and what the exact location was of my final destination. I added that I was going to meet some friends there.

He demanded an exact address of my final destination and wanted to know more about why I was going there. I told him that we were going to watch NFL football, but that was not enough explanation for him. He demanded to know much much more about why I was going there.

For me, that was way too much like having to get permission to go some place and do somethings wth others, which is a violation of my first amendment rights as in freedom of association. I told him that an detailed explanation of why I was going someplace /anywhere was not necessary for him to do his job. WHO my friends are, what their address is, and why I am going to meet them is really none of his business. He already had my Drivers license, my registration, my proof of insurance, and he should be aware of current location on his own, besides the fact that he can tap the state data base to verify any documents that I had already readily given to him JUST AS HE HAD REQUESTED THEM which was EVERYTHING that is required for him to do his mighty law enforcement job.

Then he asked me why I was being so belligerent. I thought that was a very ironic comment coming from some one who was wearing a gun and DEMANDING to know very fine details about what I was doing ( which was already blatantly apparent -driving down the road), where I was going, and what my motivations were.

I am very sensitive about that kind of interrogation for a number of reasons. Besides it being abusive and violation of my rights, I also recognize it as a page right out of the MORmON cult's hand book of heavy handed dealing with people. Its the very same thing that is going on when a MORmON priestDUD leader hopes to elicit/coerce an admission/ confession from a member as they ask: QUOTE is there any issue or concern that you still have that needs to be resolved with a priesthood leader. UNQUOTE It is fishing for something. It is also the kind of control administered by the Nazi's ala ( thick German accent) "Can vee see your papers please, your papers please!"

I very calmly and matter of fact told the officer that I was not being belligerent, that I had promptly and respectfully done everything that I was legally required to do for him, everything that was needed for him to do his job, and that IF anyone was being belligerent then it was him by making demands beyond those legal requirements. The fact of the matter was that he was very upset that I was not scared of him and his mighty badge as he tried to intimidate me. He was upset that I was not kissing his LEO ass. ......you might know the type.

He called another officer to do a field sobriety test. He told that officer that I must be DUI because I was not just spilling my guts about exactly where I was going and what I was doing. He also indicated to the second officer that I was slurring my words, which simply was NOT true. Apparently, any word of discord is automatically a slurred word, as needed for justification, in a power hungry cop's mind. Just another indication of how easily that even mighty LEOs can manufacture "facts" to support whatever they want in any given moment. Funny thing, when the second officer was done with the Field Sobriety Test, he concluded that I must be DUI !!!

Don't worry!!! The Fun is only just beginning. IF I am DUI it must be because I am a drug user, and IF I am a drug user then I must have drugs in my car, SO now officers Dumb Ass and Dumber Ass have to search my car ......TO FIND THE DRUGS THAT I MUST HAVE BEEN USING !!!!!

I get to wait while being in handcuffs, which for me with broad shoulders and relatively short arms is VERY UNCOMFORTABLE.

This is actually funny. In my entire life, I have only put laundry detergent in a plastic bag once. I did it to facilitate .......wait for it ! WAIT FOR IT!!! (CREEPY MUSIC FLOURISH!!! DUNT DUNT DUNNNNNNNN!!! ) DOING LAUNDRY with out having to take along the great big box of laundry detergent. I did that just a few weeks before getting pulled over in this particular instance. That zip lock plastic bag with some laundry detergent in it just happens to be in my van when overly eager UHP officers DUMB ASS and DUMBER ASS are searching my van for the drugs that I must be hiding in my van.

These stupid ass cops just go insane over the zip lock bag of laundry detergent. NO WONDER I DID NOT WANT TO GIVE THEM THE ADDRESS OF MY FRIEND'S PLACE, ALL OF USE ARE DRUG USERS, AND I WAS GOING THERE TO DELIVER DRUGS and HAVE A DRUG FUELED BLOW OUT !!!!!

Now they are making all kinds of WILD, RABID inquiries and conjecture about what is in the zip lock bag.
I can not even begin to go into detail about how god damn stupid these cops really were over this bag of what was really laundry detergent. I am just going to wrap it up by saying STUPID FUCKING CRY BABY ASSHOLES !!!! And then they wonder why people do not want to talk to them ABOUT ANYTHING !!!!

Just the process of my arrest took nearly 8 hours before I could finally have the relief of being booked into jail. Much of that time was spent with my arms handcuffed behind me while jammed into the back seat of a cop car, which is very uncomfortable .....and I get it, the cops think that is really funny.

This is insane, At one point in the arrest process, the arresting officer asked for permission to interview me, AS IF they had not already been conducting some kind of terrorist INQUISITION. I said "about what?" He said: "it is standard procedure for gathering information, things like where you have been and what you have been doing prior to your DUI arrest."
I said: "WHAT is the point? You guys would not believe me when I told you, that I am not impaired, that I have not been doing drugs, That I did not have drugs in my car (and you are pissed that I would not tell you exactly where I was going) .....but NOW all of sudden you are going to believe me and my responses as truthful and accurate when you ask me where I have been !!!"

I am as white bread, clean cut, drug free (zero tats, Zero body piercings) as anyone could possibly be ....and I HATE the police! I have been arrested 6 times and booked into jail 5 times and it was NEVER justified!!!! I would probably die before I would call the cops because I just do not have any respect for them any more and I do NOT trust them.

Police LIE all of the time. LYING to coerce or trick confessions out of people is one of their favorite tactics, and they do it SO MUCH that they are stuck in that mode to the extent that when they do stumble onto an innocent person that they suspect of WHATEVER then they just throw on the pressure anyway. The cops are hoping to fish something out of the "suspect" in order to make the big bust score of the day or the week or the month or the year. The problem is compounded by the fact that busting drunk drivers and drug runners is a big time sweep stakes gala bonanza for law enforcement. They keep stats,well except for the number of false arrests, and those with the best/ highest numbers are rewarded.

Here I am stuck in the middle. I do not want to be hit by a drunk driver AND I do not want to be arrested for DUI when I am not DUI either.

Yah, I get it. I have to have a DL, a vehicle registration, and insurance. Fine! But just as much, as an American I should NOT have to get permission from big brother to go anywhere for what ever reason, or have to deal out superfluous intimate information on demand by LAW enforcement or face being arrested .....but it just so happens that is exactly how officers are being trained to question people that they routinely encounter, and I DO NOT LIKE IT !!!

.....I saw Shauna at the grocery store about two weeks ago. It was on the weekend, Saturday about midnight. I did not know who it was at first. The thing that caught my attention was a couple making out in the produce section. They were really into each other and really going at it, really enjoying each other.
When they finally un twined for a second, I finally saw their faces, even though I was actually trying to ignore them more than anything else. She was visibly aroused, It was him that actually broke things up, then she was looking/ checking around to see if any of the public had noticed their rather provocative PDA. I thought: " hmmm I actually know who that is !" and "well, that was interesting"

The (very attractive) woman that I saw in the grocery store the other night was very intent on having a good time and not concentrating much on consequences at the time ......for what ever reason! ....maybe Officer Shelby and /or officer Brown could interview/ interrogate her to try to find out why!!! I certainly hope that the officer(s) that arrested Shauna happened to be more civil than the two absolute brainless @$$holes that I had to deal with, and that the arrest ordeal took a lot less than 8 (AGONIZING) hours.

I certainly do not approve of Drunk Driving, thank goodness there was no accident involved. Just as much, after my own nasty DUI arrest experience, I hope for the best for Shauna.

Posted by: AnonymousNow ( )
Date: May 13, 2017 02:22AM

I once was a UHP trooper (for over 8 years) and can attest that everything you just said about them is true. Sadly.

Obviously, they aren't all bad, but they keep close track of everyone's statistics, especially DUI arrests, but also number of traffic tickets written and number of warrant arrest made, etc. And there is a quota... *cough*.. I mean "performance standard", so there's pressure to make arrests. If you arrest a sober person and the charges are later dismissed, it does not count against you. You still get credit for the arrest. One of my first co-workers was unable to smell alcohol....yet on his DUI arrest reports, he would always state that he "smelled the odor of alcohol in the vehicle." Another standard line on the report would be, "watery, blood-shot eyes", regardless of whether or not that was actually true. But the wording helped to build the case for the DUI.

This is the work climate that created the monster known as UHP Trooper Lisa Steed. Everyone was busy being so thrilled about her great statistics that no one noticed how bad most of her arrests were. I fault her sergeant and her section lieutenant as much as her for the abuse of power. They should have noticed how fishy it was that she was able to find so many drunks when her peers on the DUI squad could not.

Date: May 13, 2017 04:27AM

AnonymousNow Wrote:
> I once was a UHP trooper (for over 8 years) and
> can attest that everything you just said about
> them is true. Sadly.
>
> Obviously, they aren't all bad, but they keep
> close track of everyone's statistics, especially
> DUI arrests, but also number of traffic tickets
> written and number of warrant arrest made, etc.
> And there is a quota... *cough*.. I mean
> "performance standard", so there's pressure to
> make arrests. If you arrest a sober person and
> the charges are later dismissed, it does not count
> against you. You still get credit for the arrest.

Thank you so much for the response. and the validation (!!!!!)

The state compiled officer performance stats is something that I have been wondering about since my (horrible) DUI arrest. As you know, as part of the DUI process, a person has to undergo review by a DMV administrative evaluator to determine whether or not a subject is going to have any driving privileges in the interim of their case being adjudicated in court.

Of course, my prima face argument to have driving privileges in that interim was my Lab tests coming back all Zeros and that the state should be compelled to drop the DUI charges as the matter moved to court. FTR for others reading this, that plea to the DMV is filed in advance of the formal review at the DMV.
After resolving my own issue for driving privileges to be reinstated during the interim, I was compelled to ask the (my) DMV evaluator how often cases like mine occur, even as I thought my case had to be a fluke. She said: all time. According to her, The case before mine was the same deal, and the case that she was handling next was the same deal. I was surprised by that !!! That would /should tend to indicate a veritable problem going on.

In the interest of real fairness and objectivity, I personally feel that the state /the law should be keeping track of an officer's incorrect / unsubstantiated DUI arrests as a performance measure as well, and that those stats should be available for public scrutiny, especially for subjects of a DUI arrest that has a lab report that comes back all zeros. AND there really should be some internal measuring mechanism in place that points out/ red flags an out of control officer like ( that monster) Lisa Steed. Just as I found out the hard way, the DUI defense attorneys certainly have access to state DUI arrest records. I was flooded by solicitation letters from them.
Tabulating botched DUI arrests for every officer should NOT be any harder or more expensive than supplying /providing (predatory) attorneys with the latest DUI arrest info.
.......Which action would be a bigger service to the public ?

I think that the state should be compelled to do that to protect the public from rabid enforcement and undue arrest just as much the state gathers data and keeps statistics on traffic accidents/injuries/fatalities and tries to minimize impaired driving. In manufacturing, high productivity is good, BUT it is always balanced against a scrap rate too.

The only thing that I really want is a concerted effort that favors objectivity and fairness (as opposed to just spinning up an arrest making mill). After all, that is what the law is supposed to be about.

(thanks again)

Posted by: DRIVING over the OUTFLUENCE ( )
Date: May 12, 2017 08:42PM

No.

I usually get drunk, THEN DRIVE.

I don't remember.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 13, 2017 12:18AM

45 years ago. Got lucky and didn't die when I slid my VW into the back of a '58 Buick.

Posted by: ANONforTHIS22 ( )
Date: May 13, 2017 01:43AM

I don't think I have ever driven over .08. I've driven when I THOUGHT I was drunk, but I participated in some field sobriety training once, as a one of the drinkers, and I learned that I had to drink way, way more than I usually do to even approach .08.

I still drive with an open container sometimes.... I poor a 3.2 beer in a cup while I drive around doing my errands. I am not even the slightest bit drunk. I don't know why I do it.... I just enjoy it sometimes.

Having an open container is NOT the same thing as being DUI. In fact, in Montana, where I come from, it was legal to have an open container up until not that long ago.

But as for Shauna Lake and her switched plates... that's kind of funky. Why would she do that??? I wonder if her career is over, at least locally.
Personally, I think they should have her lay low for awhile and then let her come back. Hey, news anchors are just people like the rest of us. They make mistakes too.

Date: May 14, 2017 04:51AM

ANONforTHIS22 Wrote:

> Having an open container is NOT the same thing as
> being DUI. In fact, in Montana, where I come
> from, it was legal to have an open container up
> until not that long ago.
>

I have been told by NM residents and /or former residents, that alcohol is actually legally served on a drive up service basis in New Mexico. I am not joking.

Date: May 13, 2017 02:03AM

I had a news-babe as a victim in a domestic violence case once, DK and roughed up pretty badly. My city is a close-to-the-top market, and she was being groomed for major network (somebody said). Being the victim sucks, but the BF was a real low-life. Last I heard she was in doing a news desk in a small city in flyover country.

That may not be just, but networks are very concerned about their image. Shauna Lake will have to lay low, and look for a small market where people either don't know, or don't care, about what happened in SLC. Or look for another career.

Unpleasant thought: this crisis is Heavenly Father's way to lead her back to TSCC...? *Groan*

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: May 14, 2017 05:22AM

In March, I attended the funeral of one of my 6th grade students. He was in a car with his cousin and his younger brother and sister. A drunk driver moved into their lane and hit them head on. The drunk driver was killed. My little 11 year old student was killed. His little brother and sister' were put in ICU as was the driver.It was heartbreaking for those parents.

Date: May 14, 2017 09:57AM

I've been thinking about why so many people admitted to doing this when young.

Nobody ever talked to me about it. The message was always "don't drink." They never told me to consider consequences other than the eternal ones if I did drink. Nobody said, if you do go to a bar and feel buzzed when you leave, take a taxi home or sit in the lounge or any other strategy.

It was like sex. Just don't do it. There will be eternal consequences. Sin next to murder. They didn't tell us about birth control or condoms or anything else that would keep us safe here on earth if we DID decide do it.

Now I see the occasional tv spot about not drinking and driving and they give some tips, but I don't think the number of young adults actually doing it have gone down.

And as far as grown assed adults like that TV anchor, she's experienced enough to know to be more responsible.

I wonder if I had been given the info if I'd have still been a bullheaded young adult and done it anyway? I was very responsible about all other areas, but who knows?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2017 09:57AM by lillium.

Posted by: laperla not logged in ( )
Date: May 14, 2017 01:41PM

As luck would have it, there were multiple police cars near my destination. I gradually realized they had something else going on and I putt-ed through the imagined blockade to arrive home.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.