Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: May 11, 2017 03:18PM

There is speculation that we could have Orrin Hatch as POTUS before the year is out.
I know little about him other than he is a Utah Senator. Is he Pro-LDS
How far (if at all) is he in the pocket of the CoJCoLDS?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: May 11, 2017 03:20PM

How is it that he could be president? He's not very far up in the presidential line of succession, is he? And also, isn't he almost 80? I can't see him running for too many more terms.

Apparently I was wrong and he is third in line of succession.

I would not be shocked at all if our current president was impeached, but it seems like the vice president is pretty well insulated from the current controversies going on. I could be dead wrong about that, though.

and even if the vice president was impeached as well, how is Paul Ryan involved in any of this Russia stuff or other controversies? He's the one after the Vice President.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2017 03:23PM by midwestanon.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: May 11, 2017 03:41PM

So...Trump would have to be outed (or assassinated).
Same for Pence.
Then Ryan.

Then Hatch.

Unless you're mormon and believe in the "white horse" nonsense, why would all of that occur and "bless" Hatch to be POTUS?

Date: May 11, 2017 03:40PM

If one goes, it is likely the whole pile will topple, and.......

ok, so - I do not wish to get on the wrong mods and start talking politics,

just take it as a hypothetical question and address it as if it might happen, and what it would mean for the church.....would the 'white horse' prophecy be back in play?

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: May 11, 2017 03:55PM

The last time I saw the Constitution, it was still safely behind glass and not hanging by a thread.

Posted by: gettinreal ( )
Date: May 12, 2017 05:15PM

Exactly, the closest that it has come (there have been more than one occasion) was the Civil War. We're nowhere close to that today....next week maybe ;)

Date: May 11, 2017 04:01PM

OK, well it's a dead question

the mods will remove this pretty soon anyway

Donald Trump: there is voluminous evidence he knowingly colluded with the Russian state in the hacking of the U.S election, and laundered Russian money through shell companies. This evidence is both data-based, for example, based on the way the server he registered laundered stolen voter registration databases with the DNC’s Vertica database in order to target Russian propaganda at voters.

Mike Pence: there is evidence that he obstructed justice, conspired to obstruct justice, and knew that General Mike Flynn was co-ordinating Russia’s propaganda message on behalf of a foreign power. Pence also violated the Logan Act and obstructed justice when he conspired with Donald Trump to order General Flynn illegally to discuss the removal of sanctions while Barack Obama was still President, and that Pence, Trump and Flynn did so to undermine the action a sitting President was taking against a foreign adversary, as President Obama was expelling Russian spies.

Paul Ryan: third in the line of succession. sources say that Ryan has been legally intercepted, and is on tape, admitting that he knew Russian money was being laundered into the Republican party. Without co-operation pending resignation Ryan may find himself swept up into a RICO prosecution involving the apparatus of the Republican party who accepted laundered Russian money.

And then, the White horse prophecy is in play............

Posted by: rt ( )
Date: May 12, 2017 01:30PM

EssexExMo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Donald Trump: there is voluminous evidence he
> knowingly colluded with the Russian state in the
> hacking of the U.S election

I have been following this story closely and have not seen a single shred of evidence in the usual sense of the word (plenty of innuendo, unfounded allegations and conspiracy theories). What evidence are you referring to? Just interested, I have no dog in this race as a European, but I do find the whole Trump-Russia story and how each side frames it fascinating.

ETA: Sorry, I lied, I do have a dog in this race. After winning a bottle of wine on a bet that Trump would win, I went double or nothing that he will get reelected too. In the interest of full disclosure and all that... ;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2017 02:34PM by rt.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: May 12, 2017 01:34PM

rt Wrote:
> I have been following this story closely and have
> not seen a single shred of evidence in the usual
> sense of the word (plenty of innuendo, unfounded
> allegations and conspiracy theories). What
> evidence are you referring to? Just interested, I
> have no dog in this race as a European, but I do
> find the whole Trump-Russia story and how each
> side frames it fascinating.

It appears the facts are (currently) somewhere between the post you replied to and your "not a single shred of evidence."

You're right, there's no directly damning evidence.
There is plenty of evidence of direct contact between his campaign team and Russians that are known to be involved in state hacking (even directing it). And lots of those instances of direct contact were lied about (that's what got Flynn canned, for example, but only after journalists got wind of his lying).

Posted by: rt ( )
Date: May 12, 2017 01:52PM

ificouldhietokolob Wrote:
> There is plenty of evidence of direct contact
> between his campaign team and Russians

Agree so far, I don't think it ever was a secret, not even Flynn's contacts.

> that are
> known to be involved in state hacking (even
> directing it).

And here is where it gets murky. "Known to be" is not evidence. Known to be, believed to be, intelligence sources say,... I have not yet seen anything more specific than that.

> And lots of those instances of
> direct contact were lied about (that's what got
> Flynn canned, for example, but only after
> journalists got wind of his lying).

As I understood it when the story broke, what got him canned was lying about it to the WH and embarrasing Pence. The contacts were known before that, as was the fact that he didn't always get proper permissions for his consulting activities, even before getting involved with Trump. So yeah, it was an extremely badly vetted appointment, but not more than that, as far as I can tell.

I don't want to get into this discussion too much, just wanted to use your post as examples of the difference between what I call evidence and conspiracy theory nature of the Trump-Russia story.

Not that I'm not open to the possibility that today's conspiracy theory can become tomorrow's true story, but a lot more facts are needed, imo.

I mean, the whole DNC Vertica "evidence" is just silly. If anyone wanted to target US voters with propaganda, Facebook is the obvious tool of choice. They can target 63-year old Democrats living in Backwater, New Mexico who recently had a haircut and are missing a molar in their left lower jaw. All you need is a credit card.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2017 02:09PM by rt.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: May 11, 2017 04:03PM

Hatch not only carries water for the LDS church, he is also a devoted water boy for the FLDS church.

Does anyone else remember a few years back when Orrin attended an FLDS sac meeting and even played the organ during their services?

Posted by: Gheco ( )
Date: May 12, 2017 02:01PM

Isnt Hatch in poor health and possible dementia?

This would be fine for LDS leadership, but a no go for the American presidency.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.