Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: October 24, 2010 01:26AM

Yeah, it caused personal grief within my family and cost a lot to get there, but it was so worth it. Most of all I'm grateful to have met some of my heroes there. Thanks to the following for being my table buddies and for making me feel like part of the group. It was an honor to meet you in person:

Cheryl
Jerry the Aspoustate
Brother of Jerry
WineCountryGirl
NormaRae
Peter Danzig (whose own father ordained me elder)
Mark
Donna
and Ron G. (I wanted to say good-bye to Ron, but didn't find him. Are you there lurking somewhere?)
and any others I may be missing.

Thanks especially to Susan for setting this whole thing up and working so hard. A special thanks indeed for getting the likes of Jeff Sharlet there. Now I can say I've talked to someone who has been on The Daily Show.

It was great guys. Hope to see you next year.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2010 10:22AM by cludgie.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: October 24, 2010 02:16AM

Glad you got there and hope one day my daughter and son in law will be attending. I tuned in to some of it at the beginning. Loved the lady who said she was too sexy to be Mormon.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: October 24, 2010 07:02AM

So glad the effort was worth it to you. Wishing you all the best! : )

Posted by: Nina ( )
Date: October 24, 2010 07:35AM

I also hope to be able to attend some sort of gathering to meet some of my "partners in pain" (or crime as far as the church is thinking of us). Leaving mormonism, or any cult I suppose can be one lonely experience when you feel 'you're the only one in the world who dare left'. We all went different paths, some of us ecame atheists, some held onto Jesus, but our bottom line is the same. We got out. Thanks to those who set up these meetings and websites for help and support! It's comforting to know that behind allthose monikers are real people. With some posts I get a bit queasy, as I'm sure some are with mine, but that makes us who we are. Freedom from constant worries to say and think the 'wrong' or rather 'non conforming way' and I've learned so much and therefore am able to 'show' others the way out and back to freedom from the cult. I apologize for my ofen bad English but I'm not from the US, allthough residing here for some time. I'm learning to do better all the time as well.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: October 24, 2010 09:14AM

Yes, my dear lovely sister, if you did a search on my screen name, you just found out I was in Utah last weekend and attended the exmormon conference. Sorry I didn't get a chance to visit my so-called family while I was there. I was too busy with the non-hypocritical, non-judgmental, non-phony people and seeing the beauty of the Utah mountains to spend time with people from the other side and seeing nothing but ugliness.

Oh yeah, and as I'm sure you can IMAGINE, so I might as well admit it, I was also busy attending the breakout sessions of the conference: Satan Worship: How to Bring More Darkness Into Your Life; Building Your Retirement Nest Egg Through Prostitution; Alcoholism For Beginners; and Reconsidering Your Choice to be Heterosexual.

Date: October 24, 2010 10:24AM

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: October 24, 2010 10:33AM

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: October 24, 2010 10:34AM

Now, that was funny. Must feel good though to say it like it is.

Posted by: wilson ( )
Date: October 24, 2010 09:51AM

I am so glad I went, met some wonderful people, listened to some very inspirational speakers and the booze wasn't bad either but I got more out of that Conference then I ever did at the Cults conference's!

Posted by: Connecticut ( )
Date: October 24, 2010 09:56AM

and Kath for all they did in putting together this wonderful exmo conference. I really did enjoy it and the great opportunity I had at meeting all of you. I flew in from Connecticut to attend this conference and all I can say is that it was well worth it. I really enjoyed meeting and talking with Sue, Chad, Kath and Jean and her husband Jim and of course all the rest of you exmo's.I Got to meet a bunch of new friends also. It just felt so good to know that you are not all alone in this struggle to find your way out and to find your real self. Thanks to all of you who sought me out and talked with me, because I really felt welcomed and enjoyed meeting you. If cheryl was there I hoped I didn't miss her because I would have enjoyed saying Hi to her. I only regret that there could have been more time to get to know and meet more people that were there. But, it was a great event and my many thanks to all of you exmo's who found the time and means to attend.........

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: October 24, 2010 10:18AM

I decided not to take up time at testimony time because newcomers needed to talk. So sorry I missed you!

I'm glad the conference was helpful. It seemed to me that the stories were more poignant that ever. Good luck to all of those still hurting. My heart goes out to you.

Date: October 24, 2010 10:21AM

I enjoyed your company, too, and after talking to you a while I even started understanding your accent. :-)

And forgot to mention Chad and Book of Mormon 'Tories and all the others whose names aren't coming to me.

"A good time was had by all."

Posted by: Connecticut ( )
Date: October 24, 2010 10:46AM

but believe me it was my pleasure in meeting and talking with you. The best to you my friend, always and in the future...

Posted by: mav ( )
Date: October 24, 2010 10:14AM

Posted by: Jerry the Aspousetate ( )
Date: October 24, 2010 03:38PM

wherever life takes you in the meantime. And if you are around San Francisco on Utah Pioneer Day don't forget to show up at the Hotel Utah Saloon. We start drinking at 5:30 but in case I get delayed by traffic until 5:31 go ahead and start without me.

Pay Lay Alol

Posted by: sue ( )
Date: October 24, 2010 04:19PM

Thanks to all of you who said "thanks". It truly is OUR pleasure to put in the hours it takes to make the Conference happen. We are rewarded from the second we hit the hotel, and the weekend is just an never-ending feast of meeting people in person we've only emailed, renewomg old friendships and having an "of the world" experience. :-) No more of that "in the world - but don't enjoy any of i"t admonition.

And also thank you to those of you who came in spite of anticipated repurcussions for doing so! We do know and understand what a sacrifice it is for some to be there. I've already started on next year's!! :-)

Sue - p.s. I almost always go by Sue, and Susan I/S is your lord and master here on this board. People do get us confused, but as Susan has posted here occasionally, there are two of us. Sue - Conference gal, and Susan - mgr. of the Board here.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: October 24, 2010 04:28PM

I ain't nothin' but the janitor around here!

Date: October 24, 2010 04:41PM

I mean, how many Susans can possibly ex-Mormon. The possibility of that is astronomical.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.