Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: October 24, 2010 12:02AM

Both as an investigator and as a TBM, I found the phrase, “I testify that…” baffling and meaningless. The speaker using this phrase actually meant nothing more than “I believe” such-and-such, but oddly, seemed to expect a response of surprised awe and reverence. All I felt was bored disinterest.

If you wish to convince me of a point, show me the facts / evidence. Explain your line of reasoning. Give me examples. I may be convinced. I may even be glad for what you have shown me!

But begin by saying, “I testify that…” and I am no longer paying any attention.

As a Mormon, how did YOU react to, “I testify that… ”? Or if you yourself used that phrase, what sort of responses did you receive to it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: October 24, 2010 12:26AM

If they start to testify or witness, I dismiss them without further consideration. They are sharing an emotional attachment which is fine but that is all it signifies to me.

As a Mormon I was taught to think testifying was a "powerful" tool that would convince people of truth. Oddly when other religions would pull similar stuff on me, I didn't take them seriously.

The people I testified to were usually polite enough not to call me an idiot to my face. I must have looked brainwashed prattling on about how I KNEW Jesus loved them and what Jesus wanted everyone to to do.

I think the method is really intended for the believer or anyone who is emotionally vulnerable. When you don't have facts, it is the verbiage you can automatically recite to protect yourself from outside standards of evidence.

Posted by: mateo ( )
Date: October 24, 2010 12:34AM

I used it as a lawyerly way to avoid saying "I know X is true" when I merely believed X. I said it during talks or during discussions for the first few months of my mission until I had my "conversion".

Then I started telling people lies about how my emotional reaction to stress and indoctrination had something to do with God. Oops.

Posted by: Troy ( )
Date: October 24, 2010 01:36AM

As soon as they start to say "I testify...", that's a perfect time to interrupt and say thank you, that's enough. Then, end the conversation and walk away if necessary. They really are expecting people to be amazed or something, since this is just how they act around their own kind and it's all just a show anyway. Don't give them any indication that you take them seriously or they'll keep it up. Don't ever feel obligated to suffer through their attempts at self-congratulation. Instead, let them know immediately that it isn't the sort of thing you're interested in listening to. It's absolutely ludicrous. To take them seriously, you'd have to be a TBM yourself and you're not one. Be glad it isn't you who is so desperate for validation.

Posted by: Master C ( )
Date: October 24, 2010 08:30AM

I agree, its basically for attention and validation. I testify 2+2= 4!! Wow! Tell me more. It's like when they have a British guy narrate a documentary. It's supposed to give it more credibility.

Posted by: Nina ( )
Date: October 24, 2010 08:49AM

The last time I heard that was said by a mishie who seemed to be with his comp on 'cold call', notknowing I was an exmo already. I didn'twanted to be rude, but I replied that "I" testify that mormonism is not true and actually nothing but another cult and that I knew everyting about moism, after I noticed he was going to tell me more about it. That ended that conversation. Sometime, I wished I had told him more about his history, but this constant testimony stuff for years had meanwhile got on my last nerve. Ugh!

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: October 24, 2010 09:14AM

From time to time, some priesthood leader would say, "I testify to you, Brother Mutt, that the Lord wants you to (insert a demeaning, pointless task or a life course not in my best interest here)."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2010 09:15AM by Stray Mutt.

Posted by: rambo ( )
Date: October 24, 2010 01:12PM

I was always kind of confused by this statement. It sounded like people said it in a way that they were trying to defend their religion. I guess I was confused because I didn't really have to defend mormonism that much most of my life. I did go on a mission but I just thought the arguements that I heard from other churches were silly. Most of my non member friends never really challenged me on my beliefs so I didn't have to defend it against them. I am pretty sure that some people who say it in this way have come across evidence against the church but they feel in their heart it is still true and then they get all emotional.

The only reason I said I know the church is true in my testimony is because everyone else said it and at the time I did feel it was true. I never felt like I was trying to defend something.

Posted by: brefots ( )
Date: October 24, 2010 01:18PM

Especially knowing from experience that in fact people who got up and "bore their testimonies" didn't have to actually know what the heck they were talking about and that they wanted me to "testify" about things I surely believed but definitely didn't know. The inconsistency in making faith = knowledge never seemed to bother anyone besides me. It still baffles me how mormons just cannot discriminate between knowledge and belief. But then again, they cannot discriminate between fact and fiction either. I see a pattern here...

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: October 24, 2010 01:19PM

I was pretty well inactive when my brother invited me to one of those AP father/son campouts. I like camping, so I figured it was pretty safe. They usually have the AP restoration commemoration theme going on... literal fireside talks, etc.

So I'm sitting through the talks... and the big shot keynote speakers ends with, "and I know that Peter, James, and John appeared to Joseph Smith and Sidney Rigdon and restored the Aaronic Priesthood."

Being out of mormonism for a while, that statement sounded either remarkably stupid or even delusional. It was then that I realized this was standard operating procedure for mormons -- to take ANY mormon subject, and at the end of the talk to testify to its truthfulness. You hear it enough, and frequently enough, it sounds normal....

Posted by: another guy ( )
Date: October 24, 2010 02:44PM

I've always thought that it's used in an attempt to add credibility to the statement that follows - sort of like 'testifying' in a court of law, where you have been sworn to 'tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, so help me god.'

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.