Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: thedocumentor ( )
Date: April 26, 2017 03:42PM

Believers of all sorts believe that god has unlimited powers.

If that's true, how come it is that when he gives "revelations", he gives them only to the top men in the church?

I'm thinking about, for example, the 1978 "revelation" that ended the ban on African Americans holding the priesthood.

How come god gave this revelation only to those top guys, and not to all Mormons at the same time?

ANSW: of course, the answer is that it's all crap. They understood the future political implications of continuing the ban, so they convinced each other that there was a revelation.

How can anyone think about this "church" and not laugh?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: April 26, 2017 03:56PM

Don't Mormons also believe in personal revelation, such as "Promptings of the Holy Ghost?" Certain Christian groups refer to "being led by the (Holy) Spirit," and getting "word(s) of knowledge."

Leaving aside the generalized "this is bunk" approach, I'm very curious to how people may have felt they (or people they knew) experienced it. I gather "revelation" to the Prophet refers to matters of doctrine, even though the proclamations of 1890 and 1978 did not really address doctrine.

To get things started, I've read a few anecdotes where guys told girls, "I believe God wants me to marry you." (Phrasing varies often, e.g. "Holy Ghost leading."

Do Mormons ever believe in guidance (or leading) from deceased family members? Anybody ever have such experiences, regarding marriage--or other things?

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: April 26, 2017 10:59PM

for some they call it intuition, or inspiration. Or a strong sense that something is wrong, or quickly being able to understand something complex. Or having a sense of a future event before it happens.

* These could be considered revelation by religious people.
* They could also be considered psychic abilities or connections with earths energies.
* Athiests may consider them to be coincidences.

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: April 26, 2017 11:02PM

My father used a wigi board once and got the first letter of the girl he would marry, it was years before meeting the woman he married, and it proved to be accurate.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 27, 2017 12:06AM

wigi board?

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 27, 2017 12:23AM

make sure you are wearing a wig while using a ouija board.

Posted by: spiritist ( )
Date: April 27, 2017 04:06PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2017 04:09PM by spiritist.

Posted by: spiritist ( )
Date: April 27, 2017 04:09PM

I get information/help/answers on a biweekly/monthly basis on the average but I expect I get it more often but not 'open' to it. These sometimes comes as things shooting in my mind, premonitions, dreams, etc.

I believe it is 'psychic' but don't have any problem with calling in a more 'PC' term of 'intuition'.

Just yesterday I was going to the dentist. I had recently read a study on our bodies (skin conductivity) and earthworms respond to 'bad things' a few seconds 'before/psychically' we even see the danger. The accuracy odds of this 'study' were 1 in 500. I was going down this road going around 40 mph and noticed I had a 'bad feeling' remembered the study and asked myself what could possibly happen?

Just then a huge truck, for whatever reason, darted across the center line into my lane. I was ready for something and slowed down and moved my car away from the truck. Fortunately, the truck driver noticed he was heading toward me and darted the other way back into his lane.

No time in my 'intuition' incidents to get approval of the '12 apostles' or anyone else, before I take action.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: April 26, 2017 11:06PM

God started giving me revelations. God told me that Bruce McConkie is an intolerable sanctimonious A$$hole. Then God told me the same thing about Mark E. Petersen. Then God told me that my Mission Presidents greatest longing was to be just like Bruce McDonkey McConkie. Guess where things went from there !!!

Posted by: Felix ( )
Date: April 26, 2017 11:18PM

The answer which is church doctrine is that senior leaders, the prophet being the most senior, receive revelations for the church body. Individual members receive revelation only for themselves so long as it doesn't run afoul of what the leaders have said.

I received a revelation for myself. It was that the church was an elaborate and audacious fraud from the beginning.

Posted by: DumbLawyer ( )
Date: April 26, 2017 11:27PM

We can't have regular folk having revelations - what if two or more people have contrary revelations.

Oh wait, the last bullshit revelation was in 1978.

We should have a 40th anniversary party next year.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 27, 2017 12:04AM

God's a dick

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: April 27, 2017 01:03AM

Its a form of suppression because you will always think you are lesser than.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 27, 2017 02:28AM

A "revelation" (researching Facts)told me that the SS teacher was LYING TO THE CLASS;

WHEN THE SP TOLD ME "Its not important", I Knew it was ALL CRAPOLA!

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: April 27, 2017 04:13AM

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2017 04:31AM by steve benson.

Posted by: slcdweller ( )
Date: April 27, 2017 11:42AM

I had a revelation about 6 months after moving here.

Mormons are mental and their church is a brain washing cult.

Is that 1 revelation or two?

Posted by: Jerome ( )
Date: April 27, 2017 11:53AM

No, the question is, why doesn't God give revelations to the top guys? At least none that they share publicly.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: April 27, 2017 03:59PM

"Hey, fellas, God here. It's all a fraud. Don't tell anybody. I've got stock in City Creek Mall's Cheesecake Factory. "

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: April 27, 2017 04:21PM

And I forgot to say it's absolutely to piss you off.

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: April 27, 2017 04:25PM

Well, let me share the following, and you tell me if it was a revelation meant for my husband, or not:

My husband had a cousin named "Beth". Beth was a sophisticated person who never married, was a member of the church in name only, and worked as a "buyer" for a department store all her life. In her youth (as an old maid), she did go on a mission, but that was it. When I knew her she had a male friend, with whom she had a sexual relationship.

After she passed away, Beth came to me in a dream/vision, and reported that she had tried to contact my husband, but that she "couldn't reach him" (Me: he didn't believe in such things). Beth told me that she had wanted to tell him that she was all right, as she thought he would be pleased to know this, and to know that she was in heaven.

So...have at it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.