Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: April 25, 2017 07:21AM

Sometimes we need to take a stand - especially where our children's welfare is concerned. Whether at church by voting with our feet when boundaries are crossed. Or with school administration to avoid miscommunication and to make sure our children are receiving the best education during their formative years.

One of the nicest compliments a high school counselor paid to me once was that I'd been such an advocate for my children as they were growing up. It was a no brainer when it came to my kids.

If I had it to do all over again, that is one thing I wouldn't change a bit.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2017 07:36AM by Amyjo.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 25, 2017 08:08AM

Speaking as a teacher, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

In terms of the Mormon church, parents need to advocate for their children when it comes to intrusive bishop interviews. The recommendation of many on this board is that parents always sit in on bishop interviews of underage children.

Date: April 25, 2017 10:14PM

summer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Speaking as a teacher, the squeaky wheel gets the
> grease.

Amen.

> In terms of the Mormon church, parents need to
> advocate for their children when it comes to
> intrusive bishop interviews. The recommendation of
> many on this board is that parents always sit in
> on bishop interviews of underage children.

I wouldn't trust the bishopric with mine or my children's welfare, temporal, spiritual or eternal. They're some of the sorriest bastards I've had the misfortune of knowing, with the exception of a couple of bishops that were decent human beings. They have no business discussing anyone's private lives. Most of them are like vipers as far as I've observed.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: April 25, 2017 11:11AM

I agree completely, with a caveat...

Make sure to thank and compliment the teachers/counselors who do a great job with your kids, as well as bring up the ones NOT doing such a good job.

I had teachers that were wonderful and changed my life. It seemed natural to thank them, and I was always surprised when they'd tell me that they hardly ever get thanked. One of my favorites, my sixth-grade homeroom teacher, and I stayed friends until just a few years ago, when he passed away...I visited him in the hospital a few days before he died, and thanked him yet again for being such an inspiration in my life. Much of what I am came from him pushing me to always learn.

My kids have had great teachers too, and we always make sure to let them know how much we appreciate them. Along with raising concerns about the few not-so-good ones.

Date: April 25, 2017 09:59PM

So true.

The teachers that stand out are the ones who bring out the best in our children.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.