Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: April 25, 2017 06:00AM

Apparently, a nice LDS meeting house in the Los Angeles area partially burned two years ago. And the building sits gathering graffiti because TSCC hasn't decided what to do.

I find that interesting. One would expect if the congregation(s) using the building were thriving, TSCC would be eager to get the building back on line. I'm guessing that's not the case.

https://www.theeastsiderla.com/2017/04/glassell-park-mormon-church-remains-in-ruins/

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: April 25, 2017 08:21AM

Unless you're unfortunate enough to own a home in a community that is blighted by the burned out structure, I'd say a burned out Mormon church is otherwise okay in my book.

Posted by: edzachery ( )
Date: April 25, 2017 08:36AM

I'm sure this is a business decision by LD$, Inc. If the property isn't bringing in the requisite coin via tithing, etc., then the Corporation will cut its losses and walk away from their unproductive investment.

Posted by: Darren Steers ( )
Date: April 25, 2017 08:43AM

I've seen vandalized or weather damaged buildings before.

If the congregation is thriving, then in my experience the church rebuilds or repairs and adds another layer of security to the building. Taller stronger fences for example, or window bars on the windows round the back.

There was a couple of buildings in Scotland that looked more like military compounds because they needed so much protection from bored local youth. Eventually after multiple vandalisms the church cut their loses and sold the buildings.

The congregations were not strong enough to justify the continued existence of the ward given the sheer amount of money that was required to frequently repair the damage.

Posted by: SonOfLaban ( )
Date: April 25, 2017 09:00AM

If the structure suffered its untoward condition from lightning, then the Brethren accept it as the Lord's will. The building will remain in disrepair until the Savior returns to salvage it.

Another possibility is that Brigham Young (an arsonist) may have directed the fatal bolt.

http://holyfetch.com/brigham-young-destroys-temple-after-his-death/

Posted by: Jersey Girl ( )
Date: April 25, 2017 05:48PM

We had two terrible church fires nearby, a Baptist church and a Catholic church. Although damage was extensive in both cases, the interior gutted, both rebuilt fairly quickly and look better than ever. Both these churches had many social programs and strong, engaged congregations. It is hard to imagine a church left as a ruin here. If it could not be fixed it would be torn down and rebuilt, or the land used for other purposes.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: April 25, 2017 10:04PM

>Update on April 25: Caso says the church has decided to demolish the structure. “The building will be demolished in the next 10 days,” she said in an email. “Demolition will last anywhere from 60-90 days.”

Should come as no surprise that TSCC has decided not to rebuild a chapel in the middle of a predominately Hispanic neighborhood that likely has a serious dearth of active members.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 26, 2017 12:36AM

“The building will be demolished in the next 10 days,”

“Demolition will last anywhere from 60-90 days.”

Well .... which is it ?

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: April 26, 2017 12:40AM

<<...served a large Spanish-speaking congregation...>>

Ah, well there's the reason it was neglected.

Posted by: H ( )
Date: April 26, 2017 02:38AM

I actually called this at the time of the fire.

Ethnic succession in the area had made that location unprofitable to repair. It might have been closed in a few years even without the fire.

Posted by: wokie ( )
Date: April 26, 2017 12:49AM

The ward I used to attend had a few breakins (the building itself and cars parked in car park at night when chapel was being used) so they had lighting installed

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: April 26, 2017 02:35AM

There's a chapel near here--still in use with apparently healthy wards--where the relevant Elders' Quorums have to patrol the parking lot during the day. I'm not sure what they do at night...

It's a very nice building, I think from the 1940s, although it's been excessively remodeled in current Mormon style. The immediate neighborhood has really turned, essentially into meth central for much of the city.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.