Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Jamie_H ( )
Date: April 24, 2017 07:35PM

Hello,

I was born and raised in New York City. I really loved it there and I'll probably move back after I finish school here at the U of U. Right now, I live in a small apartment in the suburbs, but I'm considering getting a new place in downtown Salt Lake City.

Do any of you live there? What are the pros and cons? Would you recommend it?

I like city life, but I'm not sure how Salt Lake stacks up.

Thanks for your help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: April 24, 2017 07:54PM

I'd stay in the suburbs.

Downtown is more for swingers and if you like night clubbing.

That's just me. I like solitude over noise and traffic.

Although, there are some really nice places near downtown SLC. Also very pricey. Anything in the temple district or near the capitol is considered high end. Square footage will be smaller than in the suburbs for what you get for your dollar.

And those hills are steep! You'll need a car with excellent brakes lol. Or a really good pair of walking shoes if you plan to walk a lot.

Around the old Salt Lake cemetery are some really nice homes with some apartments scattered throughout. If I had the money would consider buying in that area. It's one of Salt Lake City's finest neighborhoods. It's all part of the historic district.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: April 24, 2017 08:46PM

He's a college student. He'll probably enjoy having a nightlife nearby. There's nothing for young people in the suburbs.

Posted by: Betty G ( )
Date: April 25, 2017 03:22AM

You could probably find some roommates in the downtown SLC area. There seem to be a constant flow of ads for roommates for students in the papers and such.

If you are a UofU student, get in on their train/transportation ticket thing and it probably would work out well. You don't need a car if you are a UofU student downtown most likely because the transportation system is pretty good right now (one of the good things about the area, I think the transportation system is better than Atlanta or Greenville, but not quite up to NYC or European standards).

If you can find a place with roommates, I think the going rent for those student places goes anywhere from around $200 to $600 right now.

For a student at the U, I'd say downtown is absolutely the place to be.

Cons, if you have a vehicle, parking can be cramped or hard to find at times down town. Without a car, though if you study out bus routes and such, going further than the suburbs can be difficult (for example, once in Ogden, it can be hard to find a way to various locations).

You have to watch yourself on some streets, as some places seem to be rife with those who might do you harm. So, you need to be alert when you are out especially if after midnight. SLC is one of the bigger places for being pickpocketed or robbed. If you remain alert when you are out, there's not that much to fear from that, however. It's only if you go out to the bars and try to walk home after you are drunk and they close that it could be a major problem.

Posted by: JamesT ( )
Date: April 25, 2017 09:30AM

I grew up near downtown SLC and went to the U. Get a place near the U itself is my reccommendation. It'll be close to school and not far from some of the good bars downtown. I spend many a thurs night at Bar X on 2nd South back in the day.

Posted by: SonOfLaban ( )
Date: April 25, 2017 09:49AM

All you need to live downtown is to place (or answer) an ad for a room/roommate. Very affordable. The SLC Library and Trax is the best on earth. Siegfried's Delicatessen on 2nd South just West of Main is divine. You won't need the Celestial Kingdom. Just enjoy the Sunday Brunch at the Marriott.

Free tea, coffee, apples and Wall Street Journals daily at the hotels,too!

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 25, 2017 03:16PM

If you're already going to the U, I think your best source of info would be other students.

I grew up not too far from NYC, and always thought I would like living downtown, so last year I sold my place in Holladay and rented a place dead center downtown, half a block from the Gallivan Center TRAX station. Been here almost a year, and so far I'm loving it. Free Salt Lake Film Society films at the library once or twice a week, VideoWest presentations at the Rose Wagner many Wednesdays, Farmers Market a couple blocks away, and a couple dozen restaurants and bars within 3 blocks.

Lots of new construction, especially along the 400 S TRAX line near 500 E (not W - oops). Very easy TRAX access to UofU from there, and lots of "Cafe Rio" level of restaurants, a Trader Joe's, and a Smiths grocery within easy walking distance. The new apartments are in the $2,000 range for a two bedroom, but they are spiffy and new. Older or smaller places are cheaper. I'd put rents downtown at $100 to $200 above comparable apartments at south end of the valley. I was surprised that the south end was not all that much cheaper. I was originally planning to move to a development near a TRAX station and ride downtown, but it is so much nicer to just be a able to pop out the door and walk.

Most of the people I know downtown are retired. Swingers? LOL. There are some bars/restaurants that seem to have a large clientele of 20-somethings. Fair number of small tech companies downtown.

SugarHouse is also pretty popular. Slightly more expensive than downtown, but cool area. Avenues have a fair number of students but the places tend to be small and older. Ninth and Ninth is popular, and a new "Ninth" neighborhood is developing at Ninth S and W Temple. That's a bit of a hike to the U and to Downtown, but the TRAX line is close by. It is, unfortunately out of the free-fare zone that is in the heart of downtown.

In the summer, free concerts at least Tues and Thurs night at Gallivan Center, street musicians on various street corners. Siegfried's Deli is still there, and Lambs Grill, and Vosen's Sandwich shop, and Gourmandie, SL Roasting Co, Broadway Theater, etc etc. And I can walk to City Creek Canyon in about 15 minutes and walk in the woods. Or take TRAX to Red Butte.

What's not to like. :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2017 03:31PM by Brother Of Jerry.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 25, 2017 03:31PM

A couple of good pubs within walking distance would make it bearable.

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: April 25, 2017 04:46PM

The city center area is much more culturally diverse than the burbs. More progressive, too. SLC currently has a female mayor, who is also openly gay. Not so Mormoney, even though it's their supposed Mecca!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.