Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: April 24, 2017 01:54AM

Is anyone going to see Queen & Adam Lambert?

What other concerts are you apt to see?

Utah really got screwed with it's summer concert scene.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: gatorman ( )
Date: April 24, 2017 05:46AM

Here in the South this aging music fan is seeing James Taylor/Bonnie Raitt together. Then Doobie Brothers/Chicago together and finally the Moody Blues. All within two weeks of each other. Other than James Taylor probably won't need my hearing aids. Then it will finally be football season......

Gatorman
Headed to Dallas Labor Day to watch Gators and Michigan

Posted by: rubi123 ( )
Date: April 24, 2017 12:47PM

Although none of the Red Butte Garden concerts were exceedingly appealing to me this year, my boyfriend picked out several that I'm going to try to get tickets for: Santana (expensive at $112 ea), Lyle Lovett, The Head and the Heart, and Sheryl Crow.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: April 24, 2017 11:25PM

I LOVE Sheryl Crow. Will you please post about it when you go see and listen to her?

Posted by: rubi123 ( )
Date: April 25, 2017 01:12PM

Sure. She's not coming until the end of the summer. I think it's in September.

Date: April 25, 2017 01:19AM

That's not too bad. I wouldn't mind seeing Jason M'raz, but red butte is kind of a small, but fun, venue.

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: April 24, 2017 02:59PM

I saw Santana twice in Las Vegas, once at the World's Worst Concert Venue, the MGM Grand, (where I had cold beer spilled down the back of my shirt about an hour into the show. I stayed because I'd paid too much for the ticket)

Then again at the Hard Rock, a better venue but still way too many drunks (I don't have much patience)

I'd love to see Santana again at Red Butte but I just splurged my summer entertainment funds on tickets to "The Book Of Mormon" musical, at the new Eccles Center. I like going to a place with a ticket that has an assigned seat :)

I've seen it twice and am excited to take my sort-of-TBM adult daughter.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2017 03:01PM by memikeyounot.

Date: April 24, 2017 03:00PM

You mean you don't want to see Donny and Marie at the Sandy Amphitheater? Tickets go on sale this week.

My daughter and her new husband live about 200 yards past the fence of this venue. I figure we can just put a folding chair in the front yard and hear most of them.

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: April 24, 2017 03:03PM

I'm pretty excited for korn and stone sour in June

Posted by: Jimbo ( )
Date: April 24, 2017 09:57PM

Going to Cheap Trick,Foreigner and Jason Bonham in August at USANA.Iv really seen every rock and roll musical act I want to .Im not one for wanting to see Mick Jagger prance about the stage at this point .Would not come close to when Iv seen the Stones the 70s and 80s. not into modern county music at all .You would have pay me to see a Florida Georgia Line show. What absolute crap that group is .Country my ass.There are a few groups I go to see when they come the the SLC. Little Feat, Los Lobos but I'm not going to pay a small fortune to see Santana as much as I like Santana and I really don't like Red Butte that much .A bunch of old jerks like me with their lawn chairs and wine .Guess I will just put on a CD

Date: April 25, 2017 01:27AM

Man, you have really lost that lovin'feeling.

I do understand. Tom Petty was on my "to do" list so I snatched up tickets. During 'free falling" the drunk guy in from of me lost his pants .

Never again.

Date: April 29, 2017 05:11PM

One reason I like Red Butte is wine and picnic baskets are allowed.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 24, 2017 10:28PM

As I've gotten older the thought of dealing with the parking, crowds and supremely uncomfortable arena seats (I'm 6'4" and 3 XL and don't fit in any of them) in any concert venue has taken away any desire to attend concerts (or sporting events)....and then there are the ticket prices. JUST.NOT.WORTH.IT. Last concert I paid to see was The Doobie Brothers in the 1980's.

Posted by: mav ( )
Date: May 06, 2017 03:12PM

son stood the whole concert. We asked them politely to sit down then wadded up paper thrown at their backs. We payed just as much as they did but they preferred to wag their butts at the level of our face all night. Never again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2017 03:16PM by mav.

Date: May 06, 2017 07:03PM

Which concert...where. I can't stand for more than 10 minutes due to my bad back.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2017 12:43PM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Date: May 06, 2017 10:02PM

Posted by: siobhan ( )
Date: May 07, 2017 02:31PM

When I still went to jazzfest in NO I saw Joan Baez and she refused to start her set until the entire field was sitting down.
Only a few asshats on the very front row refused until they turned around and 10,000 people were staring them down.
My friends said she was arrogant but being 4'11" I appreciated her gesture.

Date: May 07, 2017 03:13PM

Posted by: Hockey Rat ( )
Date: April 24, 2017 10:36PM

I'd like to see a blues or jazz concert, but I don't like crowds either and being out in the heat

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: April 25, 2017 01:23AM

You ain't been to a summer concert of real import until you've been to the Boston Symphony Orchestra at Tanglewood, in Western Massachusetts' Berkshire hills.

Date: April 25, 2017 07:17PM

Everyone who is anyone knows Red Rocks the the best concert venue. :)

Date: April 25, 2017 07:26PM

It looks wonderful from the TV specials I seen that were taped there.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: April 26, 2017 05:45PM

My boyfriend took me to see Chicago there 5 years ago.

Even though Billy Joel isn't coming to SLC until November 29th, they sold tickets a couple of months ago and my boyfriend is taking me to see him. He is one of my favorites.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2017 05:47PM by cl2.

Date: April 26, 2017 08:22PM

I saw Bjork there in 2003 and Steely Dan in 2013. Great shows, great time. Still have the t-shirts! :)

Posted by: quatermass2 ( )
Date: April 25, 2017 11:32AM

If anyone is closeby a Jethro Tull concert I can thoroughly recommend them. Ditto, Steeley Span.

Posted by: quatermass2 ( )
Date: April 25, 2017 11:34AM

..."For one night only, Gary Glitter supported by Mr. Rolf Harris. Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome your host for the evening - Mr. James Saville...."

(Sorry - bad taste, I know, but just couldn't resist it).

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 25, 2017 11:35AM

Whatever happened to the village people ?

Date: April 25, 2017 12:44PM

There were different editions. They started as a bunch of guys dancing at a Greenwich Village party (the "inspiration"). A producer hired studio had some songs written, hired some studio musicians, and put out an album with models in costume. It sold, they did some live performances, lip-synching the music.

As "the Village People" became popular, they hired actual performers, and different singers came and went. I met a guy who was the "construction worker." He had become a born-again Christian, gone straight, and gotten married. This guy was a real singer-musician, too, genuinely talented.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: April 25, 2017 01:42PM

I just saw KISS last Saturday in Laughlin. It was an awsome concert.

Something interesting happened there. For several minutes, the music stopped and the band members honored our military vetrans. A few vetrans came on stage and were honored, and their stories were told. The the band told everyone to "put your right hand on your heart now because now we're going to say the pledge of allegiance". Everyone enthusiastically went along with it. When it was over the drummer hit the drums in a slow rhythm and everyone chanted USA, USA, USA. No politician's names or other political positions were stated. But during this chanting, one guy ten seats down from me freaked out, leaning over the balcony rails and shaking his fists at the band yelling repeatedly as loud as he could "fuck you, fuck you" over and over and over, while shaking his fists at the stage. The guy who had been seated in front of him plowed in to him. There were no words or posturing, just an instant level of violence that shocked me and caused screams from the women who were sitting in the area. Almost instantly, this guy who had been yelling was barely concious and bleeding, and the crowd hovered around him to save his life. Then he thought the crowd was on his side and he started yelling and shaking his fists again. So the crowd stepped away and the other guy came in and continued the beating again. Then the crowd stopped the violence again. No one else was hurt. Several women were angerly yelling at the guy they were protecting "you just stay there and keep your mouth shut". A few minutes later five big Security guys showed up. The guy who gave the other guy the beating somehow had disappeared. No one in the crowd even saw which direction he went. The other guy was sitting in his seat, half-delerious, with thirty people pointing at him and yelling angerly "get him out of here". As Security was hauling him away, 'Rock and Roll all Night' started. It was the last song. I guess that's one way to give someone an attitude adjustment.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2017 01:45PM by azsteve.

Date: April 26, 2017 03:47PM

Something similar would likely happen if a conservative started yelling patriotic slogans in Berkley. A pity the way things are going.

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: April 26, 2017 04:48PM

ZZ top is coming to Red Butte. I might go see that concert

Posted by: janis ( )
Date: April 26, 2017 06:17PM

Going to go see ZZ Top and the Doobie Brothers at Chateau St.Michelle

Posted by: Jojo ( )
Date: April 26, 2017 08:56PM

Paul McCartney just announce tour dates. I hope to see him again. He's awesome!!!

Date: April 29, 2017 05:05PM

The "cutestest beatle" won't be in Utah.
U2 has avoided Utah. Not even Phil Collins will make it
Red Butte sold out way fast. I guess I will need to buy a membership next year and be sitting at the computer when tickets go on sale.

Jason M'raz needs a bigger venue IMHO.

Maybe we are being boycotted because 75% of Utahns are theocratic GOP dickheads, which I actually could understand.

I guess this means Michael Ballam's international Opera Festival right here in Logan Utah...

Date: April 29, 2017 05:51PM

I've only ever been to one show at Red Butte and that was Lyle Lovett and his Large Band, just after I moved back to Utah. I couldn't get anyone to go so I ended up alone and decided then that I probably won't go to shows unless I have a seat with my name or number on it.

I took a blanket/low chair and a sack with some snacks and just before the show started, went to get a drink at their refreshment stand. I was back in 10 minutes and some jerk had moved everything over and up about 20 feet so his party could all be together. His wife was embarrassed but didn't volunteer to move back.

The show was great, so that was a plus. But as an official old guy, I want to know where I'm sitting and not have to worry about it.

Date: April 29, 2017 06:34PM

Has anyone else seen that music video by Mike Masse and Jenny Oaks Baker (daughter of Dallen Oaks) on youtube? It's a re-make of 'More Than a Feeling' (the Boston song). Mike Masse has the same vocal range as Brad Delp. Instead of a lead guitar, Jenny Oak's violin plays that part. I was shocked at how good both the music and the video were done. I've never seen a remake by relative amateurs before that are so amazingly good. It turns out they may both be professionals after all. Just search youtube for 'more than a feeling by Mike Masse'. It looks to me like Mike Masee may be a mormon too since he is from Utah.

Date: May 06, 2017 02:55PM

Anyone want to go to see "Ella and Dizzy: 100 Years, 1,000 Memories" at the Hollywood Bowl?

Tickets just went on sale today, and are nearly sold out for most of the Bowl shows from end of May through September.

Ella and Dizzy: 100 Years, 1,000 Memories

http://www.hollywoodbowl.com/tickets/ella-and-dizzy-100-years-1000-memories/2017-07-19

I've been to the Hollywood Bowl a couple of times over the years but by the time you buy tickets, get a hotel room and cover all the rest of the your expenses while in LA, it becomes kinda pricey.

Wish I was rich instead of.....oh well.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: May 06, 2017 07:25PM

There are so many good shows in Utah, how can you complain? Rather than calling Utah on it, it might be the artists, and/ or the economy.

Listen to http://www.KRCL.org

They bring many concerts to town and announce daily music, community and art events. Look at their schedule and playlists. No commercials! Win win

M@t

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: May 06, 2017 07:39PM

Friend and I on the main floor got split up. I was at center stage right behind the largest man there, with his arms spread out wide - taking up the room of four or five average people. There would be no way I could get to the front now. Wait! He must have gotten tired of all the pressure- it wasn't (all/ only) my fault. When he swung his left fist-arm around, counter-clockwise, hundreds of people in the audience fell backward like a fan/ dominos, causing the Nuge to jump off the stage and pound the guy, and the bouncers to roll that ball out of there.

That left me with the best spot in the house, at least the closest to the action.

M@t

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 06, 2017 07:32PM

I went to many, many concerts back in the day. How on Earth does anyone afford the ticket prices any more? They are beyond my teacher's income. Maybe I'll be able to attend once more when my home is paid off.

Date: May 07, 2017 01:48PM

Boston (the band) in Phoenix on June 8th.

Posted by: csuprovograd ( )
Date: May 07, 2017 03:16PM

Gonna see Brian Wilson in a couple weeks...

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: May 08, 2017 11:12AM

Oh! This is my JAM!

In the past year and a half I have seen:

Puscifer
Tool
Primus
Steve Miller Band
Dolly Parton
Smokey Robinson
Willie Nelson
Dwight Yoakam

And I just went to Welcome to Rockville festival last weekend and saw:
Eagles of Death Metal
Frank Carter & The Rattlesnakes
Coheed and Cambria
Mastadon
A Perfect Circle
Soundgarden
In This Moment
Gojira
Seether
Chevelle

And I officially have no concert or festival tickets for the rest of 2017. For now.

I'm dying to see Alt-J, TV on the Radio, New Order, and a few others.

And to answer summer's question: I can afford concert tickets because I don't have kids. ;-) That and I got a Groupon for Welcome to Rockville, so that was half price.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.