Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Agnes Broomhead ( )
Date: April 23, 2017 09:27PM

What's the deal?

A dozen or so young men, some of whom already married, in town until September, all of them fresh out of BYUI. One of them says he works in the pest-control business.

Is this cause for alarm? Why all these guys here until September? Should I contact the TV station's consumer advocate (isn't that what Gephardt does?) to notify them? Anything fishy?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2017 10:12PM by Agnes Broomhead.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: April 23, 2017 09:39PM

There are quite a few RMs who are contacted to work for pest companies. Supposedly, it's a good paying job.

The reason why they're contacted by the company, is that the kids are used to knocking on doors, and the product they're selling is a lot easier to sell than religion.

I knew a young man who did this after his mission. He was selling in the Deep South. He said he made pretty good money and then bought a few toys before returning home.

So, it's probably legit from my experience! Cheers! Da Bone.

Posted by: Agnes Broomhead ( )
Date: April 23, 2017 10:11PM

In other words, these lads are selling pest control door-to-door, and once they're successful, they used bait-and-switch and change the discussion to, uh, asking them if they've heard about Jesus Christ?

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: April 23, 2017 10:19PM

Agnes Broomhead Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> once they're successful,
> they used bait-and-switch and change the
> discussion to, uh, asking them if they've heard
> about Jesus Christ?

HA!! Well, my friend never mentioned THAT question. He did say, they got better bonuses if the patron bought deluxe pest control packages.

Maybe the two of us should try it. I'll knock, you can speak, and then we'll both run like hell when the woman of the house thinks we're Mormons.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 24, 2017 12:09AM

Is ORKIN in the cult's business portfolio???

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: April 24, 2017 12:30AM

From pests to pest control. I call that moving up.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 23, 2017 10:17PM

I've seen it mentioned on the board before. Certain businesses will hire RMs to do door-to-door sales, often as a summer job. The RMs are used to going door-to-door already, so it may be a good fit for them. Often the businesses send the RMs far away from their homes in groups with their peers. I can't make a judgment as to what they are selling, but I'm never been a fan of buying things from people who show up at my door.

Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: April 24, 2017 12:26AM

Back in the 80s, New York life was recruiting RMs for insurance salesman. From a business standpoint, it makes sense

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: April 24, 2017 01:14AM

Theses young men are often treated poorly. Long hours. No transportation. A promise of a payout that usually doesn't happen. Predatory companies just like their training predatory company TSCC.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: April 24, 2017 10:56AM

In Central Washington, all the RM's going door to door were selling home alarm systems.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.