Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Great Basin Python ( )
Date: April 23, 2017 08:29PM

I decided to go visit the Old Irontown ruins this morning, which are about 30 minutes from Cedar City. They were fairly interesting and the facilities were better kept than I expected. Then I remembered reading about the Righteous Branch LDS temple near Modena. Since I was already out and about west of Cedar and had a whole day to myself, I decided to go check it out. For some reason I assumed I would be able to see the blue pyramid from the highway so I drove all the way to the Nevada border looking for it, but didn't see anything.
On my way back however, just after I had given up looking for it, the little blue triangle came into view on a distant hillside to the south. I took the next dirt road leading down to it to get a better look, where, after a few miles, I discovered a small barb-wire fenced-off community with a gate out front with signs that said: "No Trespassing; Entrance with Written Authorization Only" and "If You Can Read This, You Are in Range" with a picture of cross hairs. The community consisted of mostly ramshackle trailer houses and one larger building surrounded by a conspicuous green lawn, which may have been the leader's residence, a meetinghouse, or both. The area was also strewn about with torn-up polytunnels, construction equipment, and some horse pastures. I didn't see anyone outside, perhaps because it's Sunday, or maybe they all run inside when an unidentified car comes tearing down their dirt road. I snapped a couple of pictures of the pyramid and the signs and then headed out, hoping I wasn't in anyone's sights.
I looked into a little about where the Righteous Branch cult came from and what it believes. I probably won't be visiting them again with how creepy it was. For all I know, they may have been taking my license plate number down through binoculars.
The chances that anyone here has experiences with this splinter is pretty slim since their members supposedly number from 100 to 200 people, but I'll ask anyway: Does anyone know I Righteous Branch member or is anyone here a former member? Does anyone know if all the members live here in this desert commune, or is it like their capital or something?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: April 24, 2017 03:19AM

http://www.samliquidation.com/images/Tama-ReLabyrinthImage2a.jpg

But it's not there anymore.

You must mean this one

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/53/Righteous_Branch_Temple.jpg

But they are just as crazy.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2017 03:23AM by anybody.

Posted by: deja vue ( )
Date: April 24, 2017 08:16AM

Creepy indeed! I wouldn't push my luck by lookie-looing.

When working as a repo agent, I was sent to pick up a vehicle out there. Never tried to enter the compound its-self and just wrote it off as a 'Can Not Find'. Hair still stands up on my neck just remembering the incident.

It's crazy enough just driving around Hilldale/Colorado City. Isolation creates some pretty bizarre people though I do have friends who live in the polygamist concave's who are no longer adhere or are affiliated with the FLDS beliefs per say. Still, for me, it is kind of unsettling to be in the twin towns.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.