Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: free@last ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 11:03PM

there are even pics but of monson doing this but i don't think they will post...oh brother. i would have pulled over and slapped him

A lovely confirmation of how humble and loving the prophet is and a real natural with children.

P

----- Original Message -----

A great picture story, beautifully done! What a great experience, especially the young ones, to have been in their presence. They will remember it forever!

Indeed, "we thank thee Oh God for a Prophet"

I received this email from Robert McDonald (K7 Ward Elder's Quorum President) and thought you might enjoy it as much as I did.

If you click on the photos you'll get a much bigger picture.

Enjoy ~ Matt Brown

President Monson, President Eyring, Elder Holland , and others were in the Gila Valley this last weekend to dedicate the Gila Valley Temple . The Gila Valley is where I grew up. This is my cousins story about meeting the Prophet on the side of the road.

Saturday, May 22, 2010
We Thank Thee Oh God For A Prophet!
Seeing the prophets jet heading towards the Safford airport caused great excitement! It's the little white line at the top of the mountain. Kristen and Amy had made signs to welcome the prophet. Justin got construction barricades for the signs to be put on. We heard the news that the prophet would be landing around 2:00 so we decided to wait at the end of my in-laws drive way so we could wave to him as he drove by. We had no idea that we were in for the treat of a lifetime!

Here comes his slew of cars....

The prophet instructed his driver to pull over. It did almost cause the cars behind his to rear end each other. After they got out of their cars Elder Henry B.Eyring said.... We need to have some signal for those of us behind you President so we know when your stopping. This could have just made the church news. You can imagine our AWE when the cars pulled over. I had been told to take lots of good pictures so I ran closer thinking they might get out and wave to us then get back in their cars. The rest of the story is like a heavenly dream...

I am behind the camera so you can imagine my excitement seeing the prophet walking towards us. He was telling us to stay there and he would come to us, he didn't want us in the road. By great chance I happened to be the first person to greet President Monson. I shook his hand and gave him a gentle hug. I told him how happy we were to meet him. He said "it's good to be here and this looks like a good looking group!" As he walked away from me towards the group of friends and family it was an amazing moment for me. I got the chills.......the good kind, and I started to get emotional while trying to take in what was happening. I have always had a testimony that President Monson is a true prophet of God. But what a testimony building experience it was to have the spirit testify to me while shaking the prophet's hand that This Is The Lord's Prophet On The Earth Today! I felt the spirit so strong as I watched him walk towards the children and crowd. I am not normally a emotional person, but I got choked up and had tears of joy. I will forever be grateful for this experience.

It was great fun to see all his security people. I think they weren't too happy about the prophet being on the side of the road. I could not believe I was about to shake hands with the Prophet! What a humbling experience.

The prophet took Kendall 's hat and tried it on. Who would have ever thought the prophet would be wearing a bird finger hat. He was a little taken back when he read what the cap said. Stacy was so embarrassed. But that's the name of their bird hunting company so what can you do.....it is catchy. The prophet has a instantly great sense of humor! He is so quick witted!

I have tried several times to help my kids understand what a rare and amazing opportunity they had to meet the prophet, Thomas S. Monson, and two apostles, Elder Henry B. Eyring and Elder Jeffery R. Holland. They also got to see a member of the Seventy, Elder William R. Walker. They not only had the chance to shake their hands they spoke like we were old friends. They asked the kids questions and listen to their responses.

In this picture the prophet took Kendall by the face and told him and all the other kids right there to watch his ears. He proceeded to wiggle his ears! It was the cutest thing! The kids got quite a kick out of that. I was glad Kiersten, Hunter and Logan got to be right there to see that. It was amazing to personally witness his profound love for the children! The prophet and General Athorities were all so genuine and personable.

The prophet told the boys, "Looks like a bunch of future missionaries to me. Now you boys make sure to go on a mission." In the picture is Kaely, Jordon, Kiersten, Cambry, Kaden, Kendall Hunter, President Thomas S. Monson, Stacy, Branton...........Logan, Doyle and Brinner are on the other side in front of the prophet.

This is the prophet putting his hand on Hunter's head......what a memory!

All the boys, Hunter, Kendall, Kaden, Logan and Brinner giving the prophet a hug. Kiersten was a little shy but that's OK..........she got her turn later.

This would be Logan hugging or better yet attached to the prophets leg. He told the prophet, "I Love You!" I was afraid Logan was going to knock the prophet down.

I realized being the photographer isn't always the best. So I asked Stacy to take a picture of me by the prophet. I realized I wouldn't have any proof that I was actually there being the one behind the camera. In this picture, Logan is pointing to the prophet saying, "Mom that's the prophet and we follow him." I love Logan 's little smile and him pointing to the prophet. Elder Walker is to the side of President Monson. Later on while driving back to Pima Logan said, "Tank you mom for letting us see the prophet!" He said it with such enthusiasm it was cute. Logan , being four, was oh so confused about the prophet getting here........he asked, "Mom the prophet came here in a airplane right from heaven?" He then asked me, "Did he bring Jesus with him?"
The prophet shaking Kaley's hand. I didn't get a shot of it but he shook Kiersten's hand right after this. And yes that is Logan attached to the prophets leg.
I wanted to get a picture of my kids together with the prophet but this was as good as we got. They all individually had opportunities to hug, shake hands, smile, laugh and enjoy the presence of the prophet. The prophet in the background still makes a terrific picture!
The prophets security was on top of things. There were so many men in suits to ensure the safety of the prophet.
Kendall, Logan and Kaden talking with Elder Jeffery R. Holland. I love Logan looking up to him. I have to say Elder Holland and Elder Eyring would be at the top of my most favored apostles..........before this experience I mean.......and of course now after getting to meet them.
Elder Holland said, "these boys must all be brothers?"
We explained to him who were brothers........Hunter and Logan..........Kendall, Kaden and Brinner.
Elder Holland then said, "well they have to be cousins cause they all look alike!"
Hunter replied, "yes we are cousins!" even though we aren't........the kids think they are. What an experience to not just meet but actually visit with an apostle of Jesus Christ.
I just couldn't take enough pictures to capture the intense feeling of joy, excitement and love that we felt.
Christi, David and President Monson
Mom told President Monson about when she was just 12, she had to speak in a stake conference and he was one of the other speakers. I believe she said he had just be put into the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles at the time. After the conference he told her if she ever got kicked out of her house there would be a place for her at the Monson house!
Without missing a beat he replied........"well, are you ready!"
Kaely and Jacob are right there to witness the prophet laughing and sharing.
I can't fully express the experience to do it justice. To say it was a treat, a thrill, a treasure, exciting , amazing... would be an huge understatement.

Logan , Me, President Monson, Cambry, Kaely, Tif (holding Brynlee) Doyle and Brian. I so wish Justin would have been there. Obviously he would have come had he thought the prophet would actually stop. He was busy working on the fence out back that he didn't want to stop to just see their cars drive by........and we weren't even sure we'd get to see them drive by. When I called Justin and once I got home and visited with him about the experience he said both times he got the chills. He was thrilled and at awe that we had that opportunity, but so wished he had been there as well.
Mr. Grant was a bit fussy with teething so I had left him at home with my mom. I now wish I would have made her come wait with us.
At one point Hunter and Brinner were sitting in the two red lawn chairs and the prophet walked over to them and patted Hunter on the head saying, "We need to get you two buddies out of the sun!"
This picture might not mean a whole lot by itself but what happened right before I took it will forever be a treasured moment for Kiersten............and me.
Kiersten was holding her cousin Jordon and patting him on the bum. President Monson patted Kiersten's head and said, "I can tell you are going to be a great mother........you already know just how to pat that babies bottom." Kiersten and I talked about this experience on the way home. I could see in her eyes the joy that she felt having the prophet pat her on the head and say that to her.
When we got home Kiersten, without being asked, made a bottle for Mr. Grant, rocked him to sleep, washed all the bottles, filled the bottles, emptied the dish washer..........and as Justin and I were leaving to go to dinner before the Temple Cultural Celebration......Kiersten said, "Have a good time Mom!'
There is no doubt that Kiersten WILL be a great mother!
Wish I could have had a list of things for the prophet to tell Kiersten and the boys........if it would have such results as this comment did:)
Elder Henry B. Eyring is my absolute favorite church speaker. I have never heard a talk of his that didn't touch me, regardless of the topic. He is so genuine and sincere. He thanked my father-in-law and Brian for the road and cement work that they did at the temple.
I never dreamed I would have had the chance to shake his hand, especially right here in The Gila Valley.
This is Brent Beals (I love the Beals family!) visiting with Elder Walker, President Monson and Elder Eyring. It was like four old friends chatting together.
I love this picture.......Brent and the Prophet!
This picture is a bit blurry but I couldn't erase it. Shawn Beals, Brent Beals, Elder Eyring, President Monson and Dad sharing a laugh together. Life doesn't get any better than this! I love the joy you can see and feel in this picture pooring from the prophet!
Several times the prophet was being directed it was time to leave, he finally said, "Hey I thought I was the one incharge." His humor is unmatched. As he was leaving the crowd we sang, "We Thank Thee Oh God for a Prophet." I video taped a minute of it but can't figure out how to post it. The prophet joined in with the singing. I got the chills again while our group, probably 40 people or so were singing with the prophet.
As he was walking to his car his security men were holding onto his arms to sort of aid him walking to the car. President Monson pushed them away and I said, "I can do it." He then held out his arms and walked the yellow line one foot infront of the other. He said, "See I still got it!"
We got to follow up this treasured experience by attending the Temple Cultural Celebration.
A Day To Remember............ Forever!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: lily ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 11:34PM

I'm gagging inside because of at least half a dozen things in that letter, but mostly because of the little girl who got patted on the head and told she'll make a good breeder some day.

Christ on Crutches that's terrible.

Posted by: Tiff ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 11:41PM

1) Really? Of all the spiritual things you could say to the little girl, you compliment her reproductive system? Not her spirit, or smile, or personality, etc.?

2) I hope that one of those kids leaves the church just to spite the prophet saying that they'll all be great members.

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 11:49PM

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 11:48PM

If you google on the phrase "jet heading towards the safford airport," you'll find a link with the pictures. I tried to post it but got moderated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2010 11:50PM by munchybotaz.

Posted by: Ms. ( )
Date: October 24, 2010 12:14AM

. . . I mean I understood it, but somehow I always thought it was . . . I don't know. Whenever people on here would talk about the power they enjoyed (as a reward) I would agree but think that was rather a weak payment--however, reading this I understand far better. I suppose anywhere there are TBMs they get this type of slavish treatment.

I hadn't read the entire thing until I saw the comments about the little girl--I searched for that part, about her being a good mother. And just like the initial writer, I got the chills! But perhaps not the same kind . . .

Munchybotaz's photos are hilarious illustrations!!! Especially the second one.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.