Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: michaelm (not logged in) ( )
Date: April 23, 2017 06:51AM

From Amazon:

"These are true Native American legends, gathered during 25 years of research by famed archaeologist L. Taylor Hansen, featuring many different tribes. By consulting museums, libraries, and other experts on folklore, Hansen's extensive findings were successfully correlated into this fascinating book."
https://www.amazon.com/He-Walked-Americas-Taylor-Hansen/dp/0964499703

The author L. Taylor Hansen did not attend Stanford as some claim and she was not an archaeologist or anthropologist. She was a college dropout.

Partners in Wonder: Women and the Birth of Science Fiction, 1926-1965 by Eric Leif Davin, pages 115-118
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=ZoNDebTvUnsC&pg=PA115&dq#v=onepage&q&f=false

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: April 23, 2017 08:25AM

just goes to prove you *can* fit a square peg into a round hole
just chisel off the edges, sand it down, et voila!

You dont need a diploma to do research. College dropouts can do good, independent research too

but this sounds like someone has started with a 'theory' and force fit everything they find to agree with their theory. I am pretty sure there is much more *evidence* that has been thrown away because it doesnt fit into the required narrative

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 23, 2017 09:30AM

this is known as shooting an arrow at the side of a barn and then drawing a bullseye around it.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: April 23, 2017 09:58AM

From the back-of-the-book blurb on the Amazon site:

"These are true Native American legends, gathered during 25 years
of research by famed archaeologist L. Taylor Hansen, . . . "

Not just an archaeologist, but a FAMED archaeologist!

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: April 24, 2017 09:58AM

Peer-reviewed, we all assume.

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: April 24, 2017 12:40PM

and now FLAMED.

HAHAHA.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: April 23, 2017 04:52PM

I'm going to check at the library next week to see if thay have the partners in wonder book. If they dont, I'm headed for the bookstore. Too interesting to resist!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2017 04:52PM by Aquarius123.

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: April 23, 2017 04:55PM

I thought this was going to be about Bigfoot.

Date: April 24, 2017 09:24AM

Mormons reference the book as evidence for the Book of Mormon. For example see Greg Trimble's blog:

"Why are there volumes of books written by non-LDS authors stating that Christ came and visited the America’s a couple thousand years ago just like it says in 3rd Nephi? (See Example “He Walked The America’s”) How would Joseph Smith have known this when at the time no one even considered it?"
https://www.gregtrimble.com/so-you-think-the-book-of-mormon-is-a-fraud/

And a comment on a Deseret News story the other day tried to argue that the Book of Mormon is real because of this book:

"Archaeologist L. Taylor Hansen, not LDS, wrote a book called "He Walked the Americas: The Life, Legend, and Teachings of Quetzalcoatl"
http://www.deseretnews.com/user/comments/865678219/The-unexpected-Book-of-Mormon.html

I'm just passing on information about the author of that book, that the claims about her are fake. It probably won't do anything to change the minds of some Mormons but it can help those who are getting this claim of evidence thrown at them.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: April 24, 2017 12:41PM

Actually sounds like a Johnny Cash album title.

Or maybe Roger Miller.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: April 24, 2017 10:26AM

"... true Native American legends..."

A "true" legend? They need to proofread their spiel.

Unless they mean Eric Clapton, or Mae West, or SL Cabbie; true legends.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: April 24, 2017 10:47AM

Legends are by definition not fact or provable. They are stories handed down from generation to generation. Even if they were handed down by a designated story teller they are still subject to human frailty and the original source is still not verifiable.

It may be "true" that the legends exist. It is not true that the legends are based on truth. That is why they are classified as legends and not as history, except that historically legends do exist.

Mormons love to use misleading language like "true legends," to go along with their true lies. Alternative facts all over again.

Date: April 24, 2017 12:26PM

In the case of this book, it is on par with the Book of Mormon. Both claim to have ancient stories but in fact the stories were made up or in the case of Quetzalcoatl, embellished and modified and falsely claimed to be believed by all Indians in the Americas. An ancient white prophet was never part of the ancient history of American Indians.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: April 24, 2017 01:27PM

All of my youth I heard constantly that the Native Americans, AKA Lamanites, talked non stop about the white God or white prophet as part of their legend and that they were waiting his return. This was proof that Jesus had visited the Americas. Heard this at church all the time. Very exciting this legend. Proved everything!

The Mormons I knew would often try to tie this legend in with Quetzalcoatl which seemed odd since he was half bird and half snake and in no way represented some white glorified white guy. But hey, what did I know?

But of course, then we heard about the Mayans and Incan ruins being proof of the BoM and that sure sounded swell to eleven year old me.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: April 24, 2017 10:59AM

All the book "proves" is that Rigdon et al may have had yet one more legend to weave into their concoction. The BoM itself is no more credible than any other mashup of existing stories. It just happens to have a ton of lying hype behind it.

Date: April 24, 2017 12:04PM

They are not true legends in that book. For example, when my wife converted members often asked her what her people had said about the ancient white person who had visited them. This was of course because of that book and Mark E. Peterson's pamphlet. She had no such true legends from her people because they never had them. That didn't stop the do-gooder Mormons. Some proceeded to try to tell my wife what her people really believed. All it ended up doing was to piss her off.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.