Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: April 23, 2017 01:00AM

http://churchandstate.org.uk/2017/03/its-time-to-start-calling-evangelicals-what-they-are-the-american-taliban/

"the Christian Right is really seeking to establish a theocracy in the United States — at least regionally, throughout the deep south. And this latest effort by the “Council for National Policy” lays further proof to that claim. This is an effort which — in spite of what many Christian leaders say — is NOT supported by the Constitution. The Constitution strictly prohibits the establishment of Religion, as part of the First Amendment, which also guarantees Freedom of Speech and Freedom of the Press. The purpose of this “Separation of Church and State” is intended to do two things:

1. It protects religious freedom for everyone.
2. It prevents the tyranny of any one religion.

But this fact won’t stop many southern christians, who feel it is their duty — as christians — to make the United States “a godly nation” in their eyes. And they will cite the numerous biblical passages in which god exhorts all nations to be faithful to him and condemns those nations who are not, as the basis for this duty — which they feel is their right."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Atari ( )
Date: April 23, 2017 11:07AM

I was JUST thinking this. I had the misfortune of hearing a snippet from "family radio" and thought to myself, how are these people different than the Taliban?

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: April 23, 2017 12:58PM

Honestly, Southern Baptists scare the sh!t out of me. WAAAAY worse than Mormons.

Plus some now want their own militias at church "for protection." They are vigilant trying to get tax dollars for religious schools and no regulations for religious day care centers. That was the news in just one week here.

The most disappointing part is they don't seem to realize that if it were another religion in majority (which it could be in the future depending on who keeps women breeding faster) wanting to impose religious dominance on others, they would be angry.

Be careful what you wish for, Christians. Next time it might be a different religion wanting to do what your religion did with the laws.

Posted by: Tall Man, Short Hair ( )
Date: April 23, 2017 12:58PM

Since I know the title of this topic will attract Evangelicals to click through, please allow me to hijack the thread momentarily to pass along some important information to my fellow believers.

We've had a last-minute change of venue for our upcoming meeting of The Homeland Regional Evangelical American Taliban (THREAT). We just learned that the We Hate Everybody Who Is Not Exactly Like Us (WHEWINELU) group has already booked the secret basement meeting room under Hobby Lobby, so we're moving to our concealed bunker accessed through the back wall of the men's room at Chick-fil-a. Remember, we moved the keypad and retina scanner to a secret panel accessed behind the diaper changing table. The date and time remain the same, so please consult your newsletter for specifics.

We've added one new item to the agenda. We're starting a regional push for the implementation of Community Swear Jars. Most of our members are increasingly distressed at the proliferation of potty mouthed people, and this should help reverse that trend. The Swear Jars will be placed in high population areas, and enforcement will be handled by local police. We anticipate that godless liberal ghettos like San Francisco, Los Angeles, and New York will generate huge revenues.

Our initial trials have shown that public spankings for those who refuse pay the required penalties are having mixed results. Most notably, the majority of potty mouthed offenders in San Francisco seemed to enjoy the spankings, and the penalty seems to encourage the behavior we're seeking to eliminate. We're going to try mandatory scripture readings in certain areas to see if this improves compliance.

We're looking forward to seeing you all at the appointed time and place. We're especially excited to hear from our Hate of the Month Club to see what new aberrant behavior or deviant group will face our ire in the upcoming weeks.

To recap:
If your last name ends in A-I bring a main dish
If your last name ends in J-R bring a salad or desert
If your last name ends in S-Z bring automatic weapons or small explosive devices.

And remember, never speak of these things out loud. Siri and Echo are listening.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: April 23, 2017 02:11PM

Don't you see the parallels between all of these religious extremist groups? Do you not see how the false "religious liberty" argument is being used to promote race, sex, and anti-lgbt discrimination? Do you really want to live in a theocracy? Are you OK with that? Having escaped the Mormon theocracy why would you want to live in a Christian one? Or perhaps you think making the so-called "law of god" (whatever that really is) the same as the secular law?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2017 02:28PM by anybody.

Posted by: peculiargifts ( )
Date: April 23, 2017 12:59PM

Well, I was going to say something about the Taliban using force, including deadly force a lot more than the really zealous Christian extremists.

But then I remembered those little pamphlets that my relatives used to send me, the ones about how homosexuals had better stop all of their activities and quietly go to what basically amounted to concentration camps. This was because Christians would not stand for their shocking activities, and it would be safer for the homosexuals because (I'm paraphrasing, but it is a very accurate paraphrase) "it's really easy for Christian men to get uzis and once the true christians realize what the homosexuals are doing, it will be an open bloodbath, if any homosexuals are still publicly visible." That was in a pamphlet published by a group of men who proclaimed their Christianity loudly. The pamphlets were sent to me by relatives who also proclaimed their Christianity loudly.

And a neighbor from a ways down the road, who organized a group of "Christians for Liberty." They stood at roadsides waving signs that called for the death penalty for Gays.

And I remember friends and friends of friends who were beaten and some who were killed by thugs. And the thugs were never prosecuted or else were let off with the lightest of sentences (like Mormon rapists get in the Morridor).

And I remember how the nice American "Evangelical Christians" were so smug about influencing Uganda to try to introduce a death penalty for homosexual acts. (The death penalty was later changed to life in prison, and the law was ruled unconstitutional on a technicality.)

And I sort of see that, if they actually got the power that they want, the theoretically Christian hate groups would very probably emulate the Taliban in every way possible.

Posted by: peculiargifts ( )
Date: April 23, 2017 03:01PM

Very nice (in a tragic way) list. Too bad that it is ignored by the people who should be paying attention.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: April 23, 2017 01:39PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.