Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Clothes ( )
Date: April 22, 2017 04:56PM

Its time to get rid of my (and my wife's) old temple clothes. What do you do with these things? Burn them? Sell them? Donate them to some good anti-mormon cause?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: evergreen ( )
Date: April 22, 2017 05:54PM

Sell them if you can. Might as well recoup what you can.

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: April 22, 2017 05:59PM

There will be a some humorous responses to your question, no doubt!

This is your OWN choice! There are no rules, now, because there never was any real "authority" in Mormonism--so do whatever you feel like doing with your "world's most expensive underwear," and the "satanic costumes."

I wanted these creepy things out of my house! Immediately! I also got rid of all the Mormon books, lesson manuals, piano and organ music, memorabilia (usually gifts), personal achievement awards, and pioneer recipes requiring things such as butter, jell-o, tons of sugar, and/or lard!

1. I did not want to give them to anyone. Why corrupt someone else with false scriptures, and other garbage used to brainwash and to keep victims entrapped in the cult. I hated the thought of children reading those scriptures, and singing those songs.

2. Why enable the cult in any way? Is giving someone a free book of Mormon or free temple clothes really helping them? Throw the temple clothes in the garbage, and donate the equivalent of money to the Red Cross or United Way or Spca, or whatever you want.

3. Recycle! I recycled several boxes of Mormon books, to save some trees. It was the best and highest use for those books. I could never bring myself to burn any book.

4. It felt good to purge my life of Mormonism. I did not want any old garment-rags to remind me of the cult, every time I washed the car or polished the furniture. No memories, no flashbacks, please.

6. I chose the very next garbage day, to dump my garments. I didn't touch them, but took them out of my drawer with tongs, and put them into the garbage, with banana peelings, coffee grounds, and cat litter. I read and supped coffee, in my chair in front of the living room window, and watched the garbage truck empty my can into the truck, and drive away with the garments, out of my life, forever.

Sooooo satisfying. I've heard of people burying or burning their garments, but that's giving them too much respect. Oh, one poster on RFM threw his garments and temple clothes out the car window, going 90 miles an hour on the freeway, between Salt Lake and Provo, which was cool! Treat them like garbage, or like a joke.

You could mail them to someone who angers you, or use them for archery or gun practice. A friend uses his temple clothes for Halloween, and goes to the party with his wife, sister, sister-in-law, and his teen-aged nieces--all wearing temple clothes, with that polygamy braided hair with the bouf at the forehead. It's hilarious!

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: April 22, 2017 07:13PM

I have one small point to refine: I recycled most of my old Christian Science stuff (except a few I keep for critical research), and put it in the middle of the recycle bin. Perhaps I was a bit excessive, but I did not want a can picker to find anything and say, "Hey--this looks interesting--maybe I'll take it home and read it!"

They can have the nickles from the cans, but not the toxic theology.

Posted by: Jersey Girl ( )
Date: April 22, 2017 06:54PM

I love the polygamy Halloween idea, also the vision of picking up the garments with tongs to put them in the garbage. Very good, Breeze!

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: April 22, 2017 07:09PM

Tossing them out the window driving I15 between Provo and American Fark is the preferred exmo method.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 23, 2017 09:26AM

Posted by: bluebutterfly ( )
Date: April 23, 2017 07:37PM

Could someone here do that and have a passenger videotape that and post it here?? That would be a hilarious sight!!

Posted by: samwitch ( )
Date: April 22, 2017 07:24PM

I had a nice pagan bonfire.

Posted by: op47 ( )
Date: April 22, 2017 07:48PM

Can't you cut them up for rags? and use them to wipe your dipstick? Can't you use them as protective clothing when you are painting?

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: April 24, 2017 11:52AM

op47 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Can't you cut them up for rags? and use them to
> wipe your dipstick? Can't you use them as
> protective clothing when you are painting?

That's what I did with my garmies when I left.
They made decent (but not great) car wash rags.

Best part was when a mormon acquaintance of mine happened by as I was washing my car with un-cut-up garmies. He stopped to chat and invite me back to church. I, with great ceremony, dipped the garmies into the soap bucket, lifted them out so he could see the marks, wrung them out, and proceeded to clean the dirt off my wheels with them, all while saying "no thanks" to his invitation to return.

He never asked me again :)

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: April 22, 2017 07:48PM

I happily slung them into the trash!!!! It was so much fun!

Posted by: Hockey Rat ( )
Date: April 22, 2017 08:59PM

I'd donate them to a farmer, so he can dress his scarecrows in them. That should scare them away. Throwing them out the window from a car , spaced out on the highway is funny too. I've seen shoes and random clothing, but so far, no temple garments.

Posted by: wokie ( )
Date: April 22, 2017 09:15PM

You could have a Garment Burning ceremony!

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: April 22, 2017 09:19PM

I found the dirtiest, stinkiest dumpster I could and tossed them into it, along with any guilt I felt about leaving the cult. The Boner.

Posted by: commongentile ( )
Date: April 22, 2017 10:08PM

Regarding the young married Mormon couple I wrote about in a recent thread who decided to leave and then decided to return: The husband said he would have to burn his garments. I asked why, and he said that the Church teaches that when garments are worn out the only legitimate way to dispose of them is to burn them. I said, since you no longer believe, why be bound by that? He said it is the only proper thing to do. But then he and his wife decided to return to Mormonism and he said he was glad he hadn't gotten around to burning his garments yet.

Posted by: sbj ( )
Date: April 22, 2017 10:58PM

In the 80's , we were told to cut out the symbols and burn them. They changed that and said you are now ALLOWED to just throw the whole thing away.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: April 23, 2017 08:33AM

We can describe the ritual garb to prospective converts or curious non-mormons, but nothing works as well as pulling out the real thing for display. Someone who might have joined is more easily dissuaded if they see a real set of garments or temple clothes. Going through a temple tour and viewing the oxen dead dunking tank also works.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: April 23, 2017 09:16AM

Goodwill

(NOT D.I.)

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: April 23, 2017 06:47PM

Dude, that would scare the fuck out of the GW workers!

Posted by: Southern ExMo ( )
Date: April 23, 2017 05:44PM

They make good garage rags - my husband uses them when he changes the oil.

They're good for dusting the furniture.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: April 23, 2017 06:10PM

Wear them to the bank when attempting to secure a personal loan. It will greatly impress the bank manager to show off your righteousness.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: April 23, 2017 06:27PM

Tie dye them and use for Halloween costumes

Green apron couch pillows

Dog bedding

Posted by: contrarymary ( )
Date: April 23, 2017 06:37PM

After getting over the shock of seeing DH's temple bag and garments in the trash, it shook me out of my indecision, and I grabbed my temple clothes and garments and threw mine in too. Just like Breeze, I sat in my living room the next morning with cup of coffee in hand, and watched the garbage truck take them away. Loved it!

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: April 24, 2017 09:48AM

Throw them away. That's what you do with old clothes... especially ones that aren't true.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: April 24, 2017 09:56AM

Obviously, we were on our way out. This was before my ex left me in 1996. We sold all our books to a used LDS book store in SLC and made quite a bit of money from them. I see it this way. If someone buys a used book, the person who wrote it isn't getting any benefit from it. Just as well not pad the pockets of the leaders.

My temple clothes found a very good place. They had been used very little, maybe 3 or 4 times, and so they looked brand new.

My garments went in the trash.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: April 24, 2017 10:14AM

How about wearing those old temple clothes to halloween parties? When anyone asks about your costume, tell them that you're going as a temple-mormon, and tell them that you're wearing the real thing. When people ask questions, tell that you resigned from the church because they threatened your life in the temple ceremony by threatening to cut your throat open, etc...

Posted by: severedpuppetstrings ( )
Date: April 24, 2017 11:57AM

Dang. What I did sounds boring.
I started by throwing my garments out. I haven't worn them for months, so it made sense to just toss them. Besides, I needed more dresser drawer space.
My TBM roommate found them and told me that I had to cut out the symbols and shred them so "the outside world" wouldn't know about them. I'm sure the "outside world" could care less.

When I was getting ready to move out of that house, I gathered every LDS book I owned and put them out with the recycling. At first, I thought that I'd give them to Goodwill, but then I thought, "Those books are shit, so why would I want to spread that around?"

The day I moved, I just left my temple bag with my temple clothing on the attic.. I could have given them to Goodwill, but then I thought, "Whatever for?" Now after reading these posts, I probably should have saved them for a Halloween party!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2017 11:59AM by severedpuppetstrings.

Posted by: Atari ( )
Date: April 24, 2017 04:11PM

I angrily cut mine up into little pieces along with my Book of Mormon. It was very therapeutic.

Posted by: Atari ( )
Date: April 24, 2017 04:11PM

I angrily cut mine up into little pieces along with my Book of Mormon. It was very therapeutic.

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: April 25, 2017 03:58AM

I am curious how much do garments cost? you had to pay for them right? outside of tithing? I never did the temple dance so I don't know.

Posted by: Darren Steers ( )
Date: April 25, 2017 08:51AM

I've been hoping to buy a set of temple clothes.

I want to put on a Temple themed party for never Mo's. I'd sell my signs and tokens at the party, for entertainment though, not for money, so that's alright surely?

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: April 25, 2017 09:56AM

Cotton garmies make good garage rags, but the temple clothing itself is relatively worthless. My dad gave mine to a young guy who didn't have much money.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: April 25, 2017 10:36AM

Mormon Temple clothes are at their best on a Scare Crow in the corn field. Match made in heaven.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.