Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gettinreal ( )
Date: April 22, 2017 11:02AM

I don't spend much time with my extended family. I live halfway across the country from most of them, including my parents. As such I don't know most of them or keep tabs on the latest events.
This week I was informed that my aunt and uncle left the cult!
This is significant because they were about as TBM as it gets. I didn't ask details, but needlesss to say I was both stunned and pleasantly surprised.
So now, all my siblings (except one), 3 uncles and 2 aunts have left.
The tower is definitely crumbling.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: pathfinder ( )
Date: April 22, 2017 11:21AM

Very cool..

Posted by: praydude ( )
Date: April 22, 2017 12:38PM

Yea! Congratulations! I have a few family members still in. It gives me hope to hear that your family members have left.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: April 22, 2017 12:43PM

^^^^2thumbsup!!!!

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 22, 2017 12:53PM

you are getting your family back.

Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: April 22, 2017 12:59PM

I'm surprised by some who are leaving. But I'm even more suprised by some who stay. These are no-bullshit people who you think would have had enough by now. Some are people who never seemed to have a strong testimony in the first place.

Posted by: bluebutterfly ( )
Date: April 22, 2017 02:00PM

Awesome! I'm always waiting (and hoping) to hear if any of my extended family members have left, but even if it happened I wouldn't hear about it because my TBM mom and her crazy siblings all keep secrets like nobody's business. It would be too much of an embarrassment for them. I do have cousins that I suspect aren't still part of tssc, but it isn't a known thing. It's kind of hard to ask cousins during a family reunion in Utah of all places. lol My TBm mother is so afraid to let her siblings find out that more than half of her children don't have anything to do with tssc anymore, so she LIES about it and makes them think otherwise.

I actually had suspicions that a regular poster on this site was one of my most TBM cousins due to his age, mission, etc. But he then mentioned the age of his mother and that confirmed he wasn't. :-( I was hoping!

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: April 24, 2017 10:08AM

When my sister's husband left the church, she felt she had to notify all of us. But in her notification, she stressed that we could not tell her son and his wife, because their faith was "wavering." Actually, her son and his wife had more than "wavered," they had left the church. Anyway, it's funny how this has to be a family secret, and how secretive Mormons are willing to be. In fact, to be a good church member, you must remain secretive and willing to help the church block members and outsiders from real doctrine.

Posted by: Greendreams ( )
Date: April 22, 2017 05:30PM

Long time lurker, but this kind of info gets me excited. I have an extensive TBM family, and every time another one bites the dust, I am hopeful. I have 9 siblings, and 5 are still believers.

Posted by: op47 ( )
Date: April 22, 2017 07:51PM

Ex mormonism can re-unite families here on Earth.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: April 24, 2017 01:49AM

^^^

Ya ~ this

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 22, 2017 08:18PM

Next time you get a chance, ask for details. No matter whether you ask a TBM or exMo, you'll probably get an interesting answer! Or ask one of each, and compare and contrast. :)

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 23, 2017 12:16AM

Every time a Mormon gives birth to a person who refuses to be frightened, the church erodes. Ruling by fear is no long term strategy. Some of us get really pissed off about the withholding blessings strategy. It's just so goddam obvious.

Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: April 23, 2017 04:17AM

I was frightened because back in the 70's I was taught in Seminary that people not faithful to the church were going to be "turned over to the buffetings of Satan". I was a sensitive young teen, and probably scared easily because my family was abusive and I grew up being always afraid. I didn't want to be buffeted by Satan!

I wish everyone could successfully sue TSCC for their tithing back--with interest. Wouldn't the holy corporation crumble then!

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 23, 2017 04:53AM

if I've got to be buffeted, it had better be Jimmy Buffet.

Posted by: honest one ( )
Date: April 24, 2017 01:03AM

So good to hear and I always hope my daughter gets out....it has been 9 yrs. for her. Never have had a clear indication that she will though, and she is around a large group of her husband's family. She converted against our wishes. At least her hubby was a jackmormon and did not go on a mission.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.