Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 21, 2017 10:09PM

Or, is he & what he said just being Ignored?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2017 10:09PM by GNPE.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: April 21, 2017 10:43PM

We should listen to living profits and ignore the dead ones even though monson is mostly dead.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 21, 2017 11:21PM

But... Joe & Briggy are both dead (?)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2017 11:22PM by GNPE.

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: April 21, 2017 11:52PM

Hinckley was an absolute disaster for the LDS church, using his cheesy 1950s PR methods to avoid dealing with serious conflicts in Mormon doctrine and practice. No one ever mentions his name any more.

But his twisted legacy lives on in a specific phobia he created within the most faithful members of the church. They are terrified to discuss LDS doctrine in public or even in meetings. They know that if they ever take a stand for a specific belief, then some church authority, local or general, will slap them down. All that's left for them to do for the Savior is clean those nasty toilets. Kind of demeaning for future gods and goddesses, or rather for those who formerly thought they could become such.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: April 22, 2017 12:22PM

Historischer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hinckley was an absolute disaster for the LDS
> church, using his cheesy 1950s PR methods to avoid
> dealing with serious conflicts in Mormon doctrine
> and practice. No one ever mentions his name any
> more.
>

Uh, Lying and LYING and LYING and then LYING about Lying does not necessarily qualify as 1950's style PR, Joseph Smith was doing that back in 1830. and Hinckley is mentioned periodically, but you are completely correct about Hinckley being a PR disaster.

sometimes even a self inflicted one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E22FNolOyhQ

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: April 22, 2017 12:00AM

I always got the impression that he was an especially popular prophet. You never hear anyone talk about how great Howard W Hunter was. A lot of that might have to do with the fact that Hunter was prophet for nine months and Hinckley was prophet for 13 years.

Like all things, time has proven though that he made numerous missteps, many that were apparent during his tenure as president of the church, such as his decision to appear on 60 Minutes and give other interviews. Of course, then we had Monson who took over right afterwards and did the whole Proposition 8 thing in California, possibly the churches worst misstep since failing to revoke the priesthood ban in a historically timely fashion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2017 12:01AM by midwestanon.

Posted by: dp ( )
Date: April 22, 2017 12:18AM

midwestanon Wrote:
> Like all things, time has proven though that he
> made numerous missteps, many that were apparent
> during his tenure as president of the church, such
> as his decision to appear on 60 Minutes...

Yeah, but thank goodness he did. That interview was one of the few dots I eventually connected to find my path out. I worry that the current/future leaders will be "too good" at their PR so that family and friends still in won't be able to find their way out, that the whitewashing will be too complete.

Date: April 22, 2017 12:12PM

midwestanon Wrote:
> I always got the impression that he was an
> especially popular prophet. You never hear anyone
> talk about how great Howard W Hunter was.

WHO did you hear that from ??? Gordon BS Hinckley or Gordon BS Hinckley's PR operation ???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YEMX0VooD4&t=3s

Watch Hinckleys official LDS Inc video biography. Watch Monson's official video biography. Watch Hunters official video biography. Sure, all of them are about men who made it to the very apex of running LDS Inc, but Hinckley's is out right boastful start to finish, even when it talks about how humble that Gordon was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIkVNWHT-IA

Date: April 22, 2017 07:57PM

Dude, I understand that there is no prophet here on RfM that anyone is going to consider popular or well-liked, with perhaps a couple exceptions, but that doesn't mean that the lay members of the Mormon Church don't consider prophets popular or respected. I based my statement on both the length of his tenure as a prophet, the length of his tenure as an apostle, and the fact that he pretty much ran the church throughout parts of Kimball's presidency, Benson's presidency, pretty much all of Hunter's presidency from what I understand, and of course the entire 13 years he was the actual president. I also base this on anecdotal evidence- all of my family members that are my age up to a decade older regard him as 'their' prophet- the way my parents consider David O McKay to be their prophet because he was the one who was president of the church when they were growing up. Hinskter had pretty impressive staying power for a man who live to be 98. Monson has been out of commission now for what, almost three years, and he has yet to turn 90. Of course, for anyone but a Mormon Apostle, that is an unusually old age to still be considered the most important Cog in the machine. No one seems to realize that the Mormon cog running the machine has broken down...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2017 07:59PM by midwestanon.

Date: April 26, 2017 09:25PM

so that is coming from your perspective.

my MORmON mother loves and adores ALL of the MORmON PRofits and KNOWS they were/are chosen of god ........whoever they were ......what ever they said....... what ever their names were ....... OF COURSE she knows ALL of them .......what ever their names were ( please just do not ask her for actual names) same thing with the delightful MORmON ASSpostHOLES, ALL OF THEM !!!! who ever they are whatever they say!!!!! They have all done a really good job!!! WHOEVER they were, what ever their names are !!!!!

Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: April 22, 2017 12:06AM

LDS leaders throw everyone under the bus when they are no longer convenient. They don't stand by their people at all. For that matter, they don't even stand by Jesus!

Posted by: Dallin Ox ( )
Date: April 22, 2017 12:24AM

Not that I can tell. The Proclamation on the Family was delivered on his watch, and the cult is doubling down on that all the time.

Are the girls allowed multiple earrings yet? Don't think so. That was him too.

They've still got all his McTemples and his Great & Spacious Conference Center.

Anything else?

Date: April 22, 2017 01:14AM

I don't know why, but that earring thing pisses me off so fucking much.

Maybe because it's such an idiotic thing to quibble over.

Posted by: bluebutterfly ( )
Date: April 22, 2017 01:58AM

Did the earring thing come from GBH?? I was a teenager at the beginning of his reign....That explains why my parents had a shit fit when I pierced my upper ear (cartilage). And I did it in my room! Lol

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: April 22, 2017 09:19AM

FYI...as a parent doing that in your room would bother me...not for the double earring thang...but the safety/infection thang..

just sayin...........

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: April 22, 2017 02:03PM

I was not brought up LDS but my mother said that only gypsies and women of ill repute wore earrings at all. Frankly, I would only support clipon earrings. I think any piercing is damaging the body.

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: April 22, 2017 09:17AM

Doesn't EVERY ex prophet get thrown under the bus sometime after they die, for "speaking as a man" after the fact?

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: April 22, 2017 12:23PM

Yep, as soon as they want whatever the previous guy said to go away, they just say that was his opinion.

The living Mope (Mormon pope) trumps the dead ones, except for the deadest prophets of all the Bible (depending on who they want to quote for their current opinions).

Dead prophets are good only if you want to go digging around for a quote to support whatever you are assigned to talk about at church. :-)

Posted by: Titanic Survivor ( )
Date: April 22, 2017 01:53PM

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: April 22, 2017 06:12PM

Well you can call me crazy but I say Praise to the Man who threw ME under the lds bus.

Way back before he became Mope, Gordon B threw my young ass out of his office in disgust never realizing how he was actually saving me from a life of soul slavery.

Bless you Gordo. Give my regards to Satan.;)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2017 06:23PM by Shummy.

Date: April 22, 2017 08:00PM

Oooo, I want to hear the story, if you care to share it, that is.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 22, 2017 07:15PM

I don't know that we teach that.

Date: April 26, 2017 09:27PM

......EXACTLY !!!!

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: April 22, 2017 08:29PM

Well if you mean the story of Gordy B and me, the old timers have all heard it but maybe I should put up a thread about it for newbnies if I can find the file and refresh my memory.

That was a mighty long time ago, ya know.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 22, 2017 10:03PM

Did the members sustain the bus as such ?

Posted by: peculiargifts ( )
Date: April 22, 2017 10:56PM

I was shocked and felt truly sick when I watched GBH's interview. It was so clear that he was lying, and it was also so horribly plain that he thought that he was being really clever. And later, when he referred to his lies as if it had been such smart way to deal with the questions (playing stupid makes you look smart???), it was pretty much the last straw for me.

I saw all of those smarmy sycophants falling all over themselves to act as if he was so clever. "Look, our prophet has protected us from the evil world by lies, evasion, and pretended ignorance! Hallelujah! This is the true church!"

I knew a lot of people who reacted in just that way. Without the honesty themselves to admit that the lies, evasions, and pretended ignorance were lies, evasions, and pretended ignorance.
I realized that truth had no value in the Mormon church. Honesty had no place in the organization. All that mattered was to try to fool Gentiles into accepting the horrible cult as a mainstream religion.

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: April 23, 2017 06:11AM

> I realized that truth had no value in the Mormon
> church. Honesty had no place in the organization.
> All that mattered was to try to fool Gentiles into
> accepting the horrible cult as a mainstream
> religion.

Lying while pretending to be open and forthright was a Hinckley specialty. It was all so effortless for him. That was his huge advantage over all the other apostles, which allowed him to control the church for thirty years.

Whether it was public relations, historical secrets, or infighting with the other apostles, Hinckley's ruthlessness and instinctive dishonesty made him the winner time and time again. He got things done like no one else, so the other apostles, some of whom were far more reluctant to lie, simply stayed out of his way.

Date: April 26, 2017 09:41PM

Historischer Wrote:

> Lying while pretending to be open and forthright
> was a Hinckley specialty.

BINGO !!!

> It

"It" being LYING

> was all so effortless
> for him. That was his huge advantage over all the
> other apostles, which allowed him to control the
> church for thirty years.
>
> Whether it was public relations, historical
> secrets, or infighting with the other apostles,
> Hinckley's ruthlessness and instinctive dishonesty
> made him the winner time and time again. He got
> things done like no one else, so the other
> apostles, some of whom were far more reluctant to
> lie, simply stayed out of his way.

Gordon "BS" Hicnkley was a master of faux profundity, at least of his MORmON audience. IE "I should not say this, but I am going to say it anyway" folksiness and then saying something completely obvious and basically meaningless while acting like he had dropped a real truth bomb even if it was really just another damned Hinckley LIE.

Retard MORmONS completely ate it up. Prime example -Hinckley told Larry king that there was no such thing as a MORmON fundamentalist and then Hinckley put that coy crap eating grin on his face that was a signal to MORmONS to act impressed. My world class stupid ass MORmON male parent just loved that Hinckley comment and repeated it over and over. I put a stop to that with a follow up comment of my own : "Yah, but those Nephites sure are real !!!!" My male parent wanted to kill me!

Posted by: nomo-a-mo ( )
Date: April 23, 2017 06:31AM

The Hinckster also dedicated something like 100 freakin' temples between 1983 (Atlanta, when he was still just an apostle) and 2006 (Helsinki) ... more than any other church prez combined. A lot of them were those little Mini McTemples (tm), starting with the Monticello utah design, the idea of which (i.e. mini temples) he was the main proponent. For good or bad. Anyway, that's quite a legacy for the TBMs. Even putting aside his theological opinions and so forth.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: April 23, 2017 11:06AM

He should be tossed under. No leader should ever say something as moronic as this. These volunteers donated their time and took all the criticism for the fat cats at the top. And being ribbed and insulted was supposed to motivate them to work harder? This isn't a clever joke or misguided humor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuN_ZDJKkPo

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: April 23, 2017 12:07PM

GBH, imo, was an expert in the art of lying and covering up. I mean, just look at how well he performed during the Mark Hoffman murders news stories that were going on! He at least deserved The Medal of Dishonor for that one!

Date: April 26, 2017 09:06PM

yah here is Hinckley and his medal of free-DUMB. what a disgrace!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9l1pfb6UXfk&t=6s

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: April 23, 2017 01:44PM

I used to be critical of GBH for not being Mormon enough. Haha.

Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: April 23, 2017 02:51PM

ROFL Finally, I meet a bigger dupe that I was. LOL (sorry)

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: April 25, 2017 04:28PM

My reflection on GBH is that he was something of an empire builder.

He tried to make you believe that you were part of something bigger than yourself. The temple building spree made you think that "this great latter-day work" was going forward at full speed around the world. He started to raise the political profile of the LDS Church meeting with U.S. presidents and other world leaders. He went on Larry King's show. He wanted Mormonism to be (or at least be viewed as) a great world religion.

Alas, it was just a facade as with everything in Mormonism. But Hinckley was pretty good at creating and maintaining the illusion. When the scales have fallen from your eyes, you realize that he was lying or obfuscating in many of those media interviews (or the reporters were just paper tigers that he smashed). The smashing went the other way with Helmut Nemetschek of the German TV network ZDF. That guy did his homework, and asked solid well-informed questions in an objective way. Kudos! And Hinckley lied and obfuscated his way around many of them, but at least he had to do it--especially on the finance questions--and get caught.
http://www.salamandersociety.com/interviews/gordonbhinckley/

Some of the other LDS leaders, like Monson, I tend to think are content to have the LDS Church as a primarily Mormon Corridor operation, with a few outposts in Europe and the South Pacific just for fun. Why else would you build temples in Paris and Rome? It's a fun place to take the fellow GA's and their wives for a visit, and rich TBMs can have destination weddings there. It's done for the benefit of the corridor elites not because you are actually building a strong local presence. In that sense maybe Hinckley's vision for LDS, Inc has been thrown under the bus.

My personal journey with Mormonism went full circle under GBH. When I was a kid most of the prophets were on death's door, and barely functional most of the time, but Hinckley was a consistent presence at the top ranks of LDS leadership. He signed my mission call and my BYU degree, but I also resigned while he was still the President of LDS, Inc.

Posted by: Justin ( )
Date: April 26, 2017 02:48PM

I have several Mormon friends on Facebook. They quote Hinckley a lot more than they quote Monson.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.