Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Rolled tacos on a sunday ( )
Date: April 20, 2017 10:47PM

A rant I saw on a lds singles fb group I'm in, Maybe it's one of you:)-----Who has had an ex that has left the church and is now anti? Every time my kids come home from their dads they have some new thing he has told them about how I have lied to them about this and this and that he is trying to tell them the truth. I don't always feel like I handle it well. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. I know there is only so much I can do but another perspective from someone who deals with this too would be great.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: peculiargifts ( )
Date: April 20, 2017 11:31PM

Just show them the facts, as patiently as you can (I know that it will be terribly difficult, sometimes).

Try to explain to the kids how the apologetic answers fall short of truth, logic, and common sense.

Don't mention their father. Just show them the truth, and the documentation for the truth. Sooner or later, they will figure out who is lying and who is not.

Posted by: hawk ( )
Date: April 21, 2017 01:01AM

sorry, put my foot in my mouth. Didn't realize OP was quoting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2017 01:01AM by hawk.

Posted by: TXRancher ( )
Date: April 21, 2017 01:05AM

I guess that it depends on how old your children are. You might simply tell them that you don't believe the teachings of the LDS church because you found out information that proves they have not been honest. And that you want them to know this.

You probably don't need to go into much more detail than that. As long as they know that they _don't have to_ believe in the church simply because others have told them to--and that it's possible to not believe--then it will benefit them as they come to decide for themselves.

You haven't said anything negative, only what you believe (or don't believe.)

If your ex is entitled to say that he believes in the church, you are entitled to say that you don't.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.