Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: April 20, 2017 05:51PM

I was at the Salt Lake County Library today, picking up some stuff that wasn't available at the Salt Lake City Library. (I've always wondered why these 2 liberry systems aren't combined. It would seem to make more sense that running them separately...)

I saw this DVD on the shelf. I'm almost sure most libraries in places other than Utah wouldn't carry material that is so religious in nature. I could be wrong.

http://imgur.com/a/q5xoy

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 20, 2017 06:08PM

Not in the southern Alberta Moridor either.

Posted by: paulk ( )
Date: April 20, 2017 06:39PM

That doesn't bother me so much as a library should carry items it's patrons should want. What concerns me is the legislated morality that takes away choice. In Alpine there is an ordinance that all businesses must be closed on Sunday.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: April 20, 2017 06:43PM

No, there is no separation of church and state in Utah. City libraries and county libraries run separate governments, separate budgets and report to separate governing bodies. If it wasn't for the county system, I doubt a lot of Utah cities would have libraries-outside of church.
However, carrying lds books and info in the largest mormon state, isn't a church and state issue-it's management stocking items that appeal to a large bloc of residents.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 20, 2017 07:13PM

You're not going to tell us what it is? You're going to force us to follow your posted link to find out.

Thanks but no thanks. I find it highly annoying to being manipulated into clicking on a link.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: April 21, 2017 12:36AM

Libraries are free to circulate any materials that they see fit!!

Okay, now that I've said that...I had to ask my local librarian for a copy of No Man Knows My History. It was kept in a special collection. When I asked the librarian why, she said it was full of lies and patrons had to request the book. This was about 30 yeas ago...

I should have asked for a collection of presidential speeches! No Man Know My Boner.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2017 12:37AM by BYU Boner.

Posted by: TempeX ( )
Date: April 21, 2017 01:31AM

Actually, keeping "No Man Knows My History" behind glass doors, may in fact, keep "Lying for the Lord" missionaries from stealing it, but don't give sister "guardian of
Morality" any ideas...

Posted by: Tall Man, Short Hair ( )
Date: April 21, 2017 12:39AM

They likely have more pro-LDS titles than their counterparts in other parts of the country, but that should reflect the interests of their community.

I'd hold off calling the ACLU on this one. I think we're going to be fine. They also have some anti Mormon stuff too:

The God makers / Ed Decker & Dave Hunt.
http://catalog.slcolibrary.org/polaris/search/title.aspx?ctx=1.1033.0.0.6&pos=1

Mormonism : a life under false pretenses : the true story of a Mormon bishop's journey of discovery / by former Mormon Bishop, Lee B. Baker.

Mormonism, the matrix and me : my journey from Kolob to Calvary / Tracy Tennant.

And just for BYU Boner, they've got 8 copies of Fawn Brodie's "No Man Knows My History." All copies are checked out at the moment.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2017 12:42AM by Tall Man, Short Hair.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: April 21, 2017 12:45AM

So, who checked them out? Maybe this is a ploy by Morg missionaries to keep sincere folks, like me, from reading the anti-Mormon stuff! The Anti-Mormon Missionary's Boner.

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: April 21, 2017 01:19AM

Scienctologists did something exactly like that regarding a court report that mentioned the word Xenu back in the eighties, I remember reading about it. Not at the time, of course, just on Wikipedia or something. Apparently back then it wasn't well known about the whole space alien theology, and they kept sending scientologists to the courthouse to check out this court document that mentions Xenu to keep other people from finding out. The ploy eventually failed, though.

I wouldn't put it past Mormons to checkout copies of controversial or 'anti-mormon' books to try and keep other people away from them. With the advent of the internet, stuff like this is just going to become absolutely useless though. And it has been proven again and again that when you make information taboo or try and keep people from knowing something, they will often go to even greater lengths to find out about it. That was a huge reason for why I left the church. I was really curious about a lot of stuff that people weren't telling me, like what happened in the temple, so I looked it up on the internet, and lo and behold, I found out a bunch of other super weird stuff.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2017 01:21AM by midwestanon.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: April 21, 2017 01:26AM

You must detest the Library of Congress.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.