Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: nomonomo ( )
Date: April 19, 2017 09:53PM

The other day I was poking through my neighborhood on my bike and came across two mishies, on their bikes but standing and hunched over the handlebars, who were speaking with an African American woman who was probably out for a walk or jog (based on her outfit).

I felt bad for the lady. I rolled up to a stop and in a friendly tone said "hi, elders," and reached out to shake their hands.

I've been waiting for an opportunity like this to appear, but was a bit uncertain. Didn't want to go on the attack, necessarily, and really more wanted to warn the lady and maybe send a message to the elders.

Anyway, after shaking hands with mishies, I didn't skip a beat. Reached over to shake the lady's hand too, and said, "are you a member?" She said that she wasn't, so then I said "did these guys tell you that before 1978 black men couldn't be full fledged members?"

She gave them a quick, sideways glance, and one of them instantly denied it! I looked at the other one and asked if he was going to deny it too. He said "no," but then started to explain that things had changed.

I interrupted him and said "oh yea, that's not true anymore." I'm not sure who was more surprised, the lady or the first mishie. Then I added, "the important thing though is that Black women still can't."

I was sort of having an adrenaline rush by then, so I pushed off to ride away, but called out to the lady, "you'd be crazy to let them talk you into joining their church."

I figured I'd leave it to them to explain that it was not because she was black, but "only" because she's a woman.

In retrospect, I wish I was better prepared to hang in and debate them, but at least I threw them a curve ball, "taught" one a history lesson, and hopefully discouraged the woman and gave her an excuse to blow them off.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: April 20, 2017 12:16AM

Actually, it's probably better that you didn't stay and debate them. You never want to do anything that fits a paradigm that they are prepared for or that they might be able to counter. And because mormon testimonies are all false witnessing, avoid creating situations that are likely to lead to them telling those lies.

You did well. Hit them with something that can't be explained away easily, and then leave. You could also be nice but be the adult enough to make them feel like children if they question your perceived authority. If you manage the situation well, no logic and no testimony can give them any traction. Enough of this and maybe they'll just go home.

Posted by: janis ( )
Date: April 20, 2017 01:59AM

You got to be Satan for a few moments. That lady was lucky you were on duty.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: April 20, 2017 03:58AM

Good show! I bet she'll go home and do some Googling now.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: April 20, 2017 07:12AM

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: April 20, 2017 11:01AM

"Man Saves Woman in Drive-by Truthing"

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 20, 2017 11:04AM

good hit and run

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.