Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: April 18, 2017 09:30PM

Anyone else seeing this on FB and Instagram? What a bunch of lemmings. Mormons are the only people I see doing this...repeatedly posting photos of their new babies and bunches of kids saying how "obsessed" they are with them.

What a crazy culture Mormonism creates. I finally got so very tired seeing all the dysfunctional FB posts from TBM family that I unfriended every single one of them-even the very few exmos because they also engage in this weird Mormon Utah(?) cultural behaviour. I have a BIL who, estranged from his teenage daughters due to a recent divorce from their mom decided it was a good idea to make a FB profile and then make posts about him and his new girlfriend acting like teenagers. He often posts memes and comments that make him sound like a teenage girl himself-it's pathetic.

When they aren't posting how obsessed they are with their kids their posting selfies or constantly lauding other family members.

Ugghh thanks for the vent.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: April 18, 2017 10:53PM

I quite agree. All the "I'm so thankful for myself" posts can be irritating. What I don't get is why some things are appropriate to brag about and why some other things are not.

Like the romantic posts get 400 comments and if I post something about how much money I made on a stock everyone ignores me or tells me I'm greedy or something?

Who made up the rules for facebook, cuz I never figured them out, lol!...

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: April 18, 2017 11:16PM

This is why I've unfollowed most TBM's on Facebook, with the worst offender being a young mom. She got back from a mission, had a brief dating period, quick engagement, and married within months of returning. They ended up having their first child about a month before their first wedding anniversary, and now their second child is due around the time the first kid is a year old.

Most of what she posts are pictures of the kid, selfies, and religious crap. I actually unfollowed her shortly after the wedding, which was a good thing as one of the things that was posted was a video of the birth of that child.

Date: April 19, 2017 12:00AM

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: April 19, 2017 12:08PM

I don't know, I have several very non-religious friends who are overly obsessed with their kids (or grandkids) on Facebook. I'm like "oh look, a tooth. Wow. How did you end up with kids who grow teeth? That's amazing." (I don't really post it, only think it). Yes, I admit, I post grandkid pics occasionally. But not enough that people forget how much they've changed because they see a pic every day.

Posted by: rubi123 ( )
Date: April 19, 2017 12:17PM

I'm glad I grew up in the 80's and 90's. Imagine what it's like for kids today, to have their entire existence catalogued online. I think it's a mistake to put so much out there (on Facebook).

I have a nine-year-old daughter who I'm prouder than hell of -- and she's beautiful, too -- but I don't think I need to share our life with everyone online. When she's older I know she will want to have an online presence, but I'll be sure to help her understand the potential consequences of posting things on the internet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2017 12:33PM by rubi123.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: April 19, 2017 12:23PM

It gets to be a bit much. Let's show everyone that we are more righteous than everyone else, that we have the perfect lives.

Posted by: scaredhusband ( )
Date: April 19, 2017 12:56PM

The church trains them to be SHM caretakers with no other purpose but to have children. They are conditioned to think that this is the only thing they are meant for. What else are they going to do?

Date: April 19, 2017 03:24PM

I really think its sad when people undervalue or denigrate women who choose to take care of their families full time. In many ways, it is the most important job in the world.

Yet I don't believe "obsessing" over your children online is an indicator of an exemplary mom.

Posted by: scaredhusband ( )
Date: April 19, 2017 04:58PM

I wasn't suggesting that being a Stay at home mother is something to look down on or undervalued. The point I was trying to expound on, was that the church leaves no choice for the individual.

The church doesn't let mothers have purpose in anything else. If they do choose to find their purpose elsewhere they are look down on and treated as second class citizens.

Posted by: anonski2! ( )
Date: April 19, 2017 01:36PM

They are self validating.

This is the grand prize that they were promised, ever since they were 9 years old: If they were good girls, they'd find a young returned missionary, get married in the temple, have kids and live happily ever after.

What ends up happening is that she realizes that her returned missionary is just a regular guy, she's home by herself all of the time with kid(s) and wondering why it seems like life could be so much better.

Posted by: tankeryanker ( )
Date: April 19, 2017 07:13PM

and this breeds divorce because they are primed to think there is a perfect life out there if only they could find it

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: April 20, 2017 08:19PM

This is the main reason I shut down my public facebook. I was tired of seeing baby pictures and gym pictures. Thank god I don't have grandkids yet.
All the "popular" moms had hundreds of likes, but how 'bout the mom with only 13 likes. Is that a snotty way to say they don't matter? Apparently so.
When these popular girls see each other in public they don't even say hi to each other.
WTF

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: April 20, 2017 09:27PM

The song of the TBM mom

I love myself
I love myself so
I took myself to a picture show
I put my arm around my waist
I got so fresh
I slapped my face.

Posted by: granny ( )
Date: April 20, 2017 09:40PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.