Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: April 18, 2017 04:54PM

Starting very early, even before turning 12, I was indoctrinated to believe that if I was alone with a female I would get into trouble that would last for eternity. This was further entrenched into my young mind up to the very minute I was instructed to find a wife and start making babies. Hence, I still carry a fear and uneasiness when I'm alone with a woman, any woman.

I always avoided breaking the word of wisdom because I didn't want to upset gawd and I knew that the angels would rat me out in a heart-beat with their constant note taking.

I spent two years on a mission straight out of the anal cavities of Hell. Hate is a strong word, but I hated every minute of every hour of every day that I was on that mission of gawd.

Most of all, the money. Oh Gawd, the money I gave away. I/we ate crappy food, lived in shambles, wore clothes until they turned to rags, forgo medicines we should have taken, and barely scrapped by from paycheck to paycheck. That ten percent would have made a big difference, but we gave it away and pretended we did it willingly.

Now, when I'm asked why I'm angry towards the mormon church. I just shrug my shoulders as it doesn't seem worth it to argue with someone about it. But, I know, deep down I know.

Do you still harbor anger towards the mormon church?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: liesarenotuseful ( )
Date: April 18, 2017 04:59PM

it comes and goes. I think your experiences were more severe than mine. The anger/depression/anxiety comes less often now, but it still can show up.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 18, 2017 05:10PM

The damage is for a lifetime, so I think it's appropriate to dislike it for a lifetime.

All's fair in a firefight, and we didn't start the fire.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: April 19, 2017 12:21PM

Exactly. Sure, I harbor anger. Especially for my father who should have been smart enough to see through it and who wasn't raised very mormony. But the racism and misogyny of it was very appealing in his young adult days, I'm sure.

That doesn't mean that anger consumes me by any means. And the longer I go, the more I realize that I would not even begin to appreciate what my life is now if it weren't for the fact I didn't even know how shitty it was for 40+ years until my paradigm changed.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: April 21, 2017 04:46PM

For a long time I hated my ex and the woman who had managed my office for a while. Both were mini-Mussolinis, who carried an invisible horsewhip and would you you a tongue-lashing on nearly any pretense.

After being away from them both for a long time, I have reduced then to indifference feelings. Hate is too high maintenance for these two, and takes too much effort.

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: April 18, 2017 05:14PM

I do for sure but it's more buried than it was.

Posted by: anonuk ( )
Date: April 18, 2017 05:29PM

it took about two years to let go of it and to forgive my parents for getting me into the mess in the first place. One thing that helped was acknowledging that I would not have met my husband if they had not joined the church - gotta find those silver linings somewhere or go crazy.

The biggest plus of getting over the anger is being able to calmly discuss my issues about the newly released church history with my relatives. My disdain is now all for those at the top who obviously realise after they do not get a personal visit from Jesus in the temple that it's all a crock of crap.

Posted by: DumbLawyer ( )
Date: April 18, 2017 05:31PM

We were obviously channeling each other.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: April 18, 2017 08:01PM

Yes and no.

After taking an honest inventory I'm still left with myself. How would my life have been better if I hadn't been given the family I was? We had certain advantages growing up LDS in Idaho. There were setbacks. There were disadvantages. But we were sheltered.

Sheltered from the world. From life outside the Mormon bubble. We grew up to take on the world, my siblings and I. Each of us despite our early struggles would get through college, have families, and careers. We learned values that we were taught through our elders/teachers/church and school (school consisted of predominantly LDS teachers & classmates.)

It wasn't all bad. It wasn't all good either. So I'm ambivalent about what wasn't.

I figure what I didn't get right in this life there'll be future lifetimes to learn the things I need to learn. Eternity is a long time.

The early Mormon teachings have shaped who I've become, as they did my siblings. Despite our human shortcomings, each of us landed on our feet. Hindsight being 20/20, there will always be things I'd have liked to do differently. We don't get that chance though. It's best to live without regrets (and that's a work in progress too!)

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: April 18, 2017 08:55PM

I generally ignore all things Mormon (except for this Board). I get pretty angry at some of the hateful things the Mormon Church does to people through their stupid policies. But, a lot of things Mormon are now pretty comical--The Ephraimite's Boner.

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: April 18, 2017 09:19PM

Do I still harbor anger? Not usually. UNLESS I am alone or with somebody!!

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: April 18, 2017 09:24PM

No. Anger requires too much energy.

I laugh at the idiotic beliefs, and I laugh at myself when I think back on the mental gymnastics and logic twisting I used to do to keep my "testimony."

These days I mostly just shake my head.

Date: April 18, 2017 09:35PM

When I was 19 or 20 we had a stakewide 1 day workshop for members of all ages. We'd choose between several self-improvement classes to attend (not dissimilar from other mini conferences I'd been to as a LDS during those early adult years.)

One of the classes was on financial planning for our future. The speaker was emphasizing how to save 10% with every paycheck, in addition to our tithes and offerings. That was a good 20% or more each month off the top of our take home. 10% for the church; 10% for ourselves.

In reality and practicality it wasn't something I ever got around to doing. My money was usually spent before the month was up on a subsistence standard of living. Tithing was non-negotiable. Any savings was a luxury neither I nor many I knew back then, was able to do.

Clearly misplaced priorities. Typical Mormon mindset though for the conservative Republicans that predominate in Mormonese, politically and socially.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: April 18, 2017 10:02PM

No, I think anger uses up too much energy. If anything, I'm more likely to laugh at the absurd beliefs Mormons have. Aside from this board, I mostly ignore Mormonism since I live outside of the Morridor. As for social media, I've hidden or blocked most Mormon stuff, and unfollowed those TBM's who post mostly religious stuff. For those things I can't ignore, I tend to laugh about those beliefs, even if it means I have to leave the room to avoid offending them for laughing about their cult.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2017 10:05PM by adoylelb.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: April 18, 2017 10:37PM

My life as a Mormon female was often about a lot of frustration and annoyance, and unfair treatment. It did not rise to anger.
Leaving was about taking my power back and owning it and changing my mind. It was never about anger.

Anger is too exhausting. Plenty of other emotions rise before getting to anger.
Secondly, my goal is always, always to get to the: HUMOR!! That is the healing place.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: April 19, 2017 12:14PM

"harbor?"
No.

I clearly and regularly express out loud and very publicly my anger at the mormon church and its policies. Because that anger is reasonable given the church's actions.

I kind of take "harbor" when it comes to anger as hanging onto it unreasonably, and keeping it inside, where it builds up and finds no expression.

I don't feel that way. I let it out long ago, and continue to do so when it's merited :)

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: April 19, 2017 12:17PM

Depends on the day. Depends on how the mormons are acting. I really don't think about it often. Basically, I'm just THRILLED to be out, to be FREE.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: April 21, 2017 05:06PM

In my case I place the blame on myself. I joined even though I knew much was false. I did not show my family the falsity of moism until it was too late and then they would not listen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2017 05:06PM by rhgc.

Posted by: DumbLawyer ( )
Date: April 21, 2017 05:19PM

What kind of law do you practice?

Date: April 22, 2017 08:27AM

That's sad, rhgc.

It's a double indictment. Still, don't blame yourself for what were otherwise good motives when you joined.

Mormonism uses family values as a selling point. It's easy to get swept up by that when you have your family's best interests at heart.

Many good people are deceived by that.

Posted by: janis ( )
Date: April 21, 2017 07:21PM

I think i'll always harbor anger towards mormonism. It may not be evident to most, but, it stole my life and all that should have came with that.

I'm lucky it didn't get my husband, kids, or grandkids. And even though they got some cash, they didn't get the mother load, and they didn't get what they demanded. I suppose I can live with that.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: April 22, 2017 12:02AM

Not angry, but why can't I just let it go? It's kind of unsportsmanlike to be shooting fish in a barrel. Mormonism is just too easy to criticize. Should I stop? It's a bit like making fun of the mentally handicapped.

Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: April 22, 2017 01:47AM

Sometimes. But I'm looking forward to the day when I can just laugh at it all. I'm grateful that my grown children have chosen not to follow Mormonism and see it as totally ridiculous. I get angry, however, when I remember the tithing payments and think of what I could have done for my children had I not handed over those silly tithes. I don't understand how I could have allowed myself to be so brainwashed, as I was a convert and not BIC. When I look back, I am furious that people who befriended me as an investigator no longer cared for me once I was converted and baptized in. At the time it hurt my feelings, but I ended up accepting it as the will of God. I should have left. I am angry that I somehow picked up the idea that God would somehow punish me if I dared to leave Mormonism. That I was led to believe that my life would go so much better because I had chosen to live Mormonism. It didn't pan out. I could go on and on. I buried anger and hurt for many years, and as a result I felt these emotions intensely for almost two years. Now it has lessened, but still pops up.

Posted by: unbelievable2 ( )
Date: April 22, 2017 05:51AM

Yes, I am angry. And I am discovering anger is a useful emotion, a teacher who can protect me from making horrible mistakes and set boundaries. It has also shifted my priorities and motivation levels.

Posted by: canary21 ( )
Date: April 22, 2017 07:20AM

It's not worth it. Once you leave it behind, it no longer has anything to do with your new life. Being angry means you're giving your power away. It channels too much energy you could otherwise invest elsewhere, like enjoying new experiences and pleasures.

Don't water a plant that is already dead. Your garden will never grow unless you pluck out the weeds first.

Posted by: allegro ( )
Date: April 22, 2017 09:25AM

I was extremely angry at the church for a long time. I worked a lot of it out on this board and therapy helped too. Now it comes and goes. It is an emotion I choose. There are triggers, but I can control that 99% of the time. With that said, there is that 1% that sicks around.
I look at my single life now. I was engaged but the church won and he broke it off. I am out and feeling good. Health has improved and I have more energy even though I am doing more than when in the church. I am respected in my field and as a woman. Then I look at two of my Mormon older single friends that stuck by me. They are stuck in a rut and keep wondering why the church is not there for them. Why doesn't somebody(a man) come along? God promised them this or that. Also why is Mormon home decor stuck in the 80s? But I digress. Anger takes energy, and I want to put that energy into other things.

Posted by: london ( )
Date: April 22, 2017 10:46AM

Let's see. Lost my 17 year marriage over it. Dated another girl for three years, lost her over it. Ironically, she left the Church about a year after we broke up.

Two years ago, I met a woman who seemed very liberal and open minded. I explained in detail my position with the Church and she stayed. We had a passion, beyond passion for each other. Intamacy was healing and spiritual. She struggled severally with LDS sex guilt over covenants made. She was diagnosed with an aggressive form of breast cancer. She had a couple blessing that told her she would be healed if she stayed. I think this is where she got off then fence and made a more serious commitment to the Church, through we were still being intimate. I stayed to help her through her cancer for 6 months. Once she was out of the woods, the hard part, we decided to go on a trip together to Saint George. About an hour into the drive, I brought up that I had been listening to Zelph on the Shelf and wanted to talk through some Church shit with her, as I was feeling the angst again. She turned the car around on a trip together that we both desperately needed. I knew that was a signal that was the end. I loved this women more than any other, I loved her kids as my own. I really don't think she understood how much the Church played into my anxiety about the relationship, that her Church and her God would eventually win out in the end and I would be left to pick up the pieces of my life's greatest love.

It's so crazy, because she really picks and chooses what she wants. She's a feminist, hates the idea of inequity between men and women everywhere, except within the Church. She doesn't wear garments at night because they are uncomfortable, apparently she can somewhat justify sex outside of marriage. It would have been impossible for us not to due to the level of intimacy we shared. We could spend hours exploring each other's bodies. She said she will never regret any of what we had it, which goes against conditions of repentance, so I'm not sure how she will make that work.

So, yes. I hate the Church with every part of my being. It has my four kids, it has the woman I loved more than any love I have ever experienced, and it's taken her kids from me as well. I have lost more than one family to it, and now I sit here unnecessarily alone in Morridor, at age 47.

I'm sure I'll be asked why I get involved with LDS women. Something is broken in me that way, that is what feels comfortable for me? There is a lot of polarity here in Utah between Church and non-church people. The non-church seem to engage more heavily in drinking, tatoos and the bar scene here in Utah. I don't know that there is anyone for me who's still got a set of internal morals, lives a clean life, but doesn't want anything to do with the Church. Anyway, I'm a good man. I loved those people with all my heart and now I feel fucked over again by that org. It's sinister what it does to people. I'm sure the fact that she needs the meta-physical promises of a return to health from an aggressive breast cancer played heavily into what was going on behind the scenes toward the end of our relationship. A believe who is given a blessing to return to health, especially a single mother with kids to raise, it not going to risk nullifying a blessing that of course came with the caveat of "according to your faith." So, here I am not having slept for 2 months straight, suffering extreme levels of sorrow.

To top it off, the bishop got work I was moving out of the ward, came over and asked if he could give a blessing. He blessed me if I read the Book of Mormon she and that family would be restored to me, so of course, feeling like I do about her, the Church mind fucked me again! I hate the Church!!!

Posted by: ElizaB ( )
Date: April 23, 2017 10:56AM

Please do try to date never Mormons when your heart feels healed enough to try. There are so many wonderful people out in the world who could make a great partner for you. I feel that you need that experience. If you still follow the word of wisdom and the drinking thing is a stumbling block, as it was for me when I started dating my husband (his family drank wine with nice dinners), it may be helpful to reexamine the idea of drinking socially vs. drinking to excess.

My mother in law drank socially, she no longer does because of a specific health condition, on the advice of her doctor, but this drinking did not prevent her or her family from being the most loving, involved and supportive family for our children. I would hate to have lost the opportunity of knowing them because of my irrational prejudice. I did have reservations about that habit for a long time, but as I came to know them I knew that they never would abuse alcohol, it was simply a part of their French culture. Thankfully they were very patient with me as I slowly pulled Mormon ideas out of my head and reviewed them for logical content. This took years, did I mention that they are really lovely people? Their forbearance on this topic and many others made me love them more over time.

Am I angry? I am angry and sad that the church foisted these ideas on you. But I am, after 22 years out, extremely happy with my life and my mixed Mormon (my parents) and non Mormon family.

Posted by: oneinbillions ( )
Date: April 23, 2017 12:35AM

Yes. I may be able to forgive individuals like my parents because I think that they were only doing what they thought was best for me. But I am and probably always will be angry at the organization and everything it stands for. And I'm okay with that.

Posted by: Glass rose ( )
Date: April 23, 2017 12:45AM

Not for myself, but it makes me furious for my dad, who's still deeply imbedded in the MORG. He's happy being active, and that's fine, but paying the church a tenth of his social security check every month makes me a crazy person.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: April 23, 2017 12:38PM

Like the character Quintus Arrius said to Ben Hur, "Your eyes are full of hate, forty-one. That's good. Hate keeps a man alive. It gives him strength." In a way, that's true. It's helped me to activate my long,unused BS detector. At the same time, I'm gradually letting go of some of the anger.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.