Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anonymous123 ( )
Date: April 17, 2017 12:38PM

I was ordained a few years back,and it just occurred to me that it might be considered joining another church.I was ordained by the ULC, the same one as John Dehlin.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: April 17, 2017 12:41PM

The handbook makes suggestions on who should be exed, but it's up to locals to make any final decision. There's little if any consistency from one area to the next and getting new leaders changes everything.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 21, 2017 11:43AM

The locals ex'd Helmuth Hubner in WWII Germany, which was later repudiated by SL-COB as 'unauthorized'.
History says his membership was "reinstated", although we don't know if he was proxy-baptized or if this was purely administratively done...

Some of the Utah pioneers were re-baptized as they crossed the plains on their way "reformation".

Welcome to the wacky world of Mormonism!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2017 11:46AM by GNPE.

Posted by: Now a Gentile ( )
Date: April 17, 2017 12:57PM

Officially you can be ex'ed. According to their rules, joining another church, or religion, is grounds. Since becoming "ordained", I think that qualifies.

Posted by: anon for today ( )
Date: April 17, 2017 01:06PM

I'm betting that your chances of being ex'ed go way up if you perform a gay marriage.

In any event, it depends on how tough your stake prez wants to look.

Posted by: JudgeJohn ( )
Date: April 20, 2017 10:46PM

I used to be a judge. I performed multiple same sex marriages. I had quit attending TSCC by that time. My home teacher is the SP since I'm one of those hopeless cases. Maybe he'll find out and ex me.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 21, 2017 11:38AM

Didn't I read that Robert Kirby officiated at a same sex marriage a couple years back?...or am I dreaming??

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 17, 2017 02:51PM

There's a certain poetic justice in having a fake excommunication for a fake ordination into another fake church.

Dead unicorns everywhere!

Posted by: nomonomo ( )
Date: April 17, 2017 07:32PM

Hehehe

Posted by: paintingnotloggedin ( )
Date: April 17, 2017 03:41PM

you started running backyard weddings... but then they might just be relieved to get their cousin or daughter or sister legally married rather than living with a partner finally. from their perspective it might be a huge relief...since that cousin or sister or daughter might be unwilling to visit a church much less talk to a bishop and arrange a back yard wedding.

it would be a huge community service for some families- with mixed values. not everyone is going to show up in the temple anyway they know that. They have to.

maybe if you married the stake president's daughter and her lover in a backyard ceremony they would - either love or hate you. laugh or cry. depends on how bad they wanted their kid married doesn't it. (Mormon beliefs: marriage is good.)

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: April 20, 2017 11:56PM

I have done that twice now--two semi-formal backyard weddings.

We had chairs, backdrop, justice of the peace, catered food and live--hold you breath--- rock and roll music. One of the weddings had an open bar. Right here in Cache Valley.
It can happen.
Maybe I should go into business.

Posted by: Question ( )
Date: April 17, 2017 04:45PM

Can you be excommunicated if you merely attend another church, or do you have to officially become a member of it?

Date: April 17, 2017 04:50PM

Posted by: UTtransplant ( )
Date: April 17, 2017 08:16PM

Robert Kirby has done a few weddings (including one for a gay couple) after being mail order "ordained". He is still a member in good standing so it depends on how visible you are.

Posted by: unbelievable2 ( )
Date: April 17, 2017 08:27PM

I read somewhere last year that GOP Florida Senator Marco Rubio belongs to three churches, i.e., LDS church, a Christian church and another one. Can anyone confirm? I doubt the LDS folks will ex him.

Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: April 18, 2017 01:07AM

Marco Rubio left the LDS church years ago to become a Roman Catholic. He probably never bothered to remove his name, like most Mormons who leave. He has a Protestant church that he enjoys visiting on a regular basis, but still pops into Mass and considers himself officially Catholic.

Posted by: Betty G ( )
Date: April 18, 2017 03:26AM

Marco Rubio was a Mormon?

Date: April 18, 2017 03:02PM

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: April 17, 2017 08:52PM

Dead unicorns!!! Hahahahahahahaha!!

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: April 17, 2017 09:10PM

Brother Of Jerry:s wrote: There's a certain poetic justice in having a fake excommunication for a fake ordination into another fake church. Dead unicorns everywhere!:

Creating fake events certainly are very popular now.

However, it is my understanding that joining another church does not, necessarily, mean you have to be excommunicated from the LDS church.

As witness, look at all the non-attending members who are left alone and not bothered by the church--even if that person becomes a member of another church.

A couple of decades ago, such persons may have been kicked-out. But, today, numbers of membership are more important, and so keeping such people on the record can indicate there are more members of the church than there actually are.

And, remember, a wards share of money received from SLC is directly tied to the wards membership number.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: April 17, 2017 09:18PM

People, people!!! Let's get real here. The Morg can excommunicate anyone they want for whatever reason--"conduct unbecoming a Latter-day Saint."

Did you get a business license for your Summer lemonade stand? No, well let's excommunicate you!

Did you get a new subscription to cable with three-month free premium channels? Did you watch Skinamax after hours? Let's excommunicate you!

Did you stub your toe and use that unholy word, "flip?" Let's excommunicate you!

The Stake Prez's Boner

Posted by: Now a Gentile ( )
Date: April 18, 2017 02:59PM

I wonder if the ex ex-bishops who are found guilty yet the judge says he is an outstanding person who made a mistake.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: April 17, 2017 10:27PM

Yes. There are a list of offenses that will generate a Disciplinary Council.

This covers it well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disciplinary_council

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 18, 2017 12:22AM

I'm an ordained priest.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: April 18, 2017 11:57PM

According to the church, Jesus Christ himself (in the flesh) told Joseph Smith not to join any other churches. Joseph joined the methodists anyway, and he was never excommunicated from the Mormon church.

But I draw my lines differently. If Jesus ever shows up in his glory and tells me not to join any other church, I probably won't join any of them. If he tells me to join the mormon church again though, I might join a different church anyway.

Posted by: Particles of Faith ( )
Date: April 21, 2017 03:47PM

If memory serves JS applied for membership in the Methodist church. At that time the rules were a lot stricter than when I joined. Anyway the line drawn in the sand was that JS stop with the whole "gold Bible" thing. He refused to do so and was not admitted to membership.

Posted by: TXRancher ( )
Date: April 21, 2017 10:25AM

I agree with earlier statements that, depending on the local leaders (or as we also know, quiet direction from SLC), you can be ex'd for any reason they want.

I think that generally being an ordained minister in another church is a slam dunk reason to kick a person out.

HOWEVER, so are things like adultery, fornication, etc. But when I was in the bishopric, I had a conversation with the bishop and he mentioned that he "probably needed" to initiate church court proceedings against an inactive sister because she was living with guy and they weren't married....but he had put it off for over a year and really didn't want to do it. And he didn't take action for the next couple years, either, while I was his counselor.

It really depends on who is in leadership at the time and what they (the church) would gain from ex'ing someone.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.