Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Rush Fan ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 09:18PM

As an exmormon (though not out yet) and senior in high school, I am looking at college options at the moment, and I was thinking of going to USU. I have a good scholarship there (4 years, full tuition and student fees) so USU is looking like a very good place to go. I'm simply wondering if it will be hell for me while I am there.

I do have many TBM cousins currently there, and a large portion of my TBM extended family lives about an hour away. I don't know how my extended family will react to me being an exmo, but I think that my cousins at USU will be fairly accepting.

Thanks for your help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: LordBritish ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 09:24PM

In the wise words of Eugene Krabs, "The MONEY is always right!"

If you don't take a full ride just cuz of some social and cultural stupidity...I'll cut you.

Date: October 23, 2010 09:27PM

Haha, I'm almost definitely going to go there, I'm just wondering what the extent of the Mormon influence is going to be.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 09:25PM

I was just in Utah last week and stayed with one of my good exmo friends in Utah County. Her daughter is a Freshman at USU and has a full scholarship. She was on Fall break so came home so she could see me while I was there. She was also a little leery of what it was going to be like being an exmo there.

Turns out she absolutely loves it. She has found many non-mo or exmo friends and in fact, she lives in a dorm for honor students and more students in that dorm are nomo/exmo than are TBM. Just thought I'd pass that on to you.

Posted by: Simone Stigmata ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 09:32PM

You will be fine, at USU you can find whatever you want. I hid from the church for a year there, no problem.

Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 09:41PM

Posted by: Cali Sally ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 11:10PM

As a student I loved it. As an employee I hated my office because everyone was TBM. As a student you have lots of freedom and can stay as far away from TSCC as you like. As an employee it all depends on the make-up of your office. So, by all means, enjoy yourself at USU but get a life away from there after you graduate. Good luck.

Date: October 24, 2010 01:00AM

Thanks everybody! That clears up a few things. I am excited for what the future holds.

By the way, I didn't quite get a full ride (I still have to pay board and for books and stuff), but its pretty close and I'm not complaining.

Posted by: atheist&happy:-) ( )
Date: October 24, 2010 01:07AM

http://usu-shaft.com/\

Utah State University Secular Humanists, Atheists, and Free Thinkers

Date: October 24, 2010 02:03AM

Thanks, I'm definitely going to check that out.

Posted by: rallychild ( )
Date: October 24, 2010 03:44AM

Go to USU, we can hang out! I'll be a junior there next fall. I'm gonna need some exmo friends to chill with. The few semesters I've been there, I've noticed that a large portion of the students there are mormon, but there is enough diversity of non mormons to compensate. Just depends on who you choose to associate yourself with, obviously. USU is a pretty good school, a lot of fun can be had up there, if you make it fun. And this is coming from someone who absolutely hates cache valley and freezing ass cold weather. ;) Good luck

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2010 03:45AM by rallychild.

Posted by: a ( )
Date: October 24, 2010 10:57AM

Jack mormons can thrive at USU. I'm not going to tell you it's right, but only that it is possible.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: October 24, 2010 11:42AM

But you probably won't be dealing with the locals much, except maybe as a landlord. I lucked out with mine. They were very hands-off. As long as we paid the rent on time and didn't break things, we never saw them. I heard stories of very snoopy, invasive, restrictive landlords. They had a hard time keeping tenants, though.

Posted by: persephene ( )
Date: October 24, 2010 12:10PM

I can't remember what the acronym stands for it's something like ... atheists and free thinkers. They are starting up an exmormon meeting.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.