Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: April 14, 2017 04:54PM

Sharing a taxi recently in Utah, a French couple asked me why I left the Mormon Church. I answered that I discovered facts about Joseph Smith that made me realize he was dishonest, plus I experienced system-wide abuse in the Mormon Church because of being divorced. I told them how my children were spit on and pelted with rocks by Mormon children after we left the church.

The woman said, "I'm sorry someone offended you, that's such a shame." Her husband said, "There are answers to every Joseph Smith question if you take the time to find them."

I felt like they both were using rehearsed answers, so I asked them what their jobs in the church were. Mission president, he said.

LOL! Of course. He probably gives refresher lessons on the door-to-door sales technique pioneered by Kirby and Fuller Brush.

Kathleen

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: April 14, 2017 05:12PM

Mormons are hanging onto that "offended" rationalization like it's their last hope in their war against reason and decency. I guess they have to grab whatever straws are available as their bag of tricks gets emptier.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 14, 2017 05:16PM

It cracks me up that they are on the offensive against others having taken offense.

Ouroboros is always eating its own tail.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: April 16, 2017 02:28AM

Posted by: perditious1 ( )
Date: April 14, 2017 05:17PM

yes, there are answers to every joe smith question
problem is [for mo's] the answer screams sexual predator conman
but it's hard to hear when you have your fingers in your ears while singing lalalalala

Posted by: severedpuppetstrings ( )
Date: April 14, 2017 05:18PM

> The woman said, "I'm sorry someone offended you,
> that's such a shame." Her husband said, "There
> are answers to every Joseph Smith question if you
> take the time to find them."

Wow! How condescending! But unfortunately members are conditioned to think/respond that way.
Sad that they pinned the guilt upon YOU, rather than realizing that was you had been through was abuse because of your marital status. Or what other LDS children put your own children through. Such ignorance!

Funny that the husband talks about finding answers about Joseph Smith. So much for selling Jesus Christ to you, eh?
The church should just change their name to The Church of JOSEPH SMITH of Latter Day Saints. His name is flung upon our heads all. The. Damn. Time.

Posted by: you don't know me ( )
Date: April 15, 2017 12:49PM

Too bad I couldn't share a cab with you.

I think you may be the wisest person on this board, and that's saying a lot.

Posted by: jiminycricket ( )
Date: April 15, 2017 01:02PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2017 11:21PM by jiminycricket.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 15, 2017 05:52PM

>> The woman said, "I'm sorry someone offended you, that's such a shame."

I hate how there is a Mormon tendency to put the blame on you. They imply that you were offended, not that Mormons behave offensively. How about, "I'm sorry that you were mistreated by some members. That is not right."

Posted by: texsaw ( )
Date: April 15, 2017 06:41PM

She was sorry someone offended you when they spit on your children and threw rocks at them?!?

TBMs have been programmed to the point that can't even listen to what comes out of their own mouths.

Posted by: liesarenotuseful ( )
Date: April 15, 2017 07:09PM

"There are answers to every Joseph Smith question if you take the time to find them."

Right! they want you to research? ok.

How about they take the time to tell the answers.

spitting on and throwing rocks at children is not offensive. It's despicable and abusive.

Posted by: cinda ( )
Date: April 15, 2017 09:39PM

Hahaha, I first misread this as, Taxi Religious Conversion in Utah. My first thought was, "No, not Kathleen!" lol

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: April 15, 2017 10:31PM

The other Kathleen here--no relation.

How awful you and your children were treated like that!
At least your children got the lesson of their lives as to how cults operate!

Glad you are here! Your posts have been tremendously valuable!

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: April 16, 2017 01:08AM

I misread the post as "Tax Religious Conversations in Utah." Hey, that's a great idea! Utah's tax revenues would make Colorado's weed income seem puny in comparison!

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: April 16, 2017 01:16PM

"There are answers to every Joseph Smith question if you take the time to find them."

That's the problem for mormons: people like Fawn Brodie, the Tanners, Richard Packham, et al *did* take the time to find them instead of simply accepting the Visitor's Center video/Sunday School/Ensign/GC/North Korea whitewash answers...

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: April 23, 2017 05:08PM

Thanks so much for the kind words, everyone.

When you get older, your memory of the injustice you suffered remains but without the pain. I saw this couple as folks who memorized what to say to people who were "offended" without really listening or connecting with me.

I know they can't connect any more than a bank robber can connect with the bank manager. I bring information that could take from them the thing they hold most dear. I have compassion for them having invested their whole lives in an illusion.

I feel so very lucky to have gotten out of a vicious trap--and recognize that I must thank Mormonism for the great joy I feel on a Sunday afternoon, just stretched out on my sofa enjoying a view of Commencement Bay. Compared with the years of guilt and suffering of never being/doing enough, I haven't a care in the world.

We ex-Mormons are like Holocaust survivors who enjoy each breath of fresh air more--yet don't want anyone to forget what happens when lust and greed employ faith to defraud millions.

Kathleen

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.