Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: April 13, 2017 06:07PM

I just saw this announcement, too. Maybe nostalgia from us old geezers is causing an uptick in traffic to these stores.

I remember once I had a haircut in their salon and the gal really did a horrible job. I didn't even want to talk to her. I went to the store manager and told him I had been a loyal JC Penney customer for 50 years and wanted a refund.I told him I didn't want to even speak to the stylist. He immediately opened a till and gave me my money back.

Yes, times are changing and the stores of my past are either gone or fading fast...Mervyn's, Sears, KMart, Kings, Woolworths and now Penneys.....

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Reddwarf ( )
Date: April 15, 2017 11:32PM

I think they are done, We were just shopping last week and couldn't find anything my daughter even considered (swimsuits) Walking around I saw that they had a large display of those toxic little tree air fresheners in the aisle.

(Background - I am a marketing and retail expert, do it every day, post graduate degrees in it, not just spouting off here.)

Those are not targeted to their demographic and are far outside their product mix. It shows they are desperate and looking for anything that can pull in a few extra dollars.

It is a shame because I have purchased from them many times but they lost their way when they hired a CEO with no relevant experience and let him swerve them off the road. It is a hard thing to recover from and I fear they don't have it in them.

Posted by: Waltz ( )
Date: April 25, 2017 10:52PM

Reddwarf Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> (Background - I am a marketing and retail expert,
> do it every day, post graduate degrees in it, not
> just spouting off here.)

ROTFLMFAO! That is nothing to brag about. On the contrary, it is unintentionally hilarious!

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: April 16, 2017 07:52PM

I wonder what's so hard about getting stylish clothes? What would sell you may ask, it's April they need to get a bunch of turquoise and tanish California surfer wear, any thing that has to do with the beach (upscale though) and baseball caps with eye catching logos. Everyone wants to be a surfer!

But no they go for the grandma look?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2017 07:53PM by poopstone.

Posted by: janis ( )
Date: April 17, 2017 08:29PM

Even the grandmas don't like the grandma look. If you have a store full of that stuff, you won't be around much longer.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: April 25, 2017 09:55PM

JC Penney's has a pretty decent selection in our metro area stores. Macy's has gone under in recent past; we have a couple anchor stores left that are Macy's and Sears. But the Penney's have managed to keep going despite the sluggish sales.

I drove by the Sears anchor store last night, and it's all boarded up - it closed earlier this month. It had been a fixture, repeat historical marker practically, of the mall where it closed. That was a good third of the store space of the mall that's now closed.

The old institutions aren't what they used to be. Remind you of anything? Hint: Moism. Another commercial enterprise on skid row.

I can dream can't I? :)

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 26, 2017 12:35AM

guess who destroyed the middle class ?
just where do these stores think their customers will come from ?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.