Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: March 27, 2017 01:54PM

I have a special friend. His name is Jack. Just Jack. He is quite unusual. For example, he is invisible. Which shows how powerful he is, I think. He can also communicate with me without saying a word, he is so clever. He sticks around (I can almost always feel when he is near) to watch over me and protect me from harm and temptation. And if I ever need anything or want anything, all I have to do is ask Jack. And if Jack approves, he makes sure I get it. Of course, if I ask him for something that wouldn't be good for me, he doesn't let me have it. So I can depend on him to do the best for me.

Jack was also a friend of my dad's, which is how I came to know him. Dad told me all about him. Dad said that long ago Jack was not invisible, but just like you and me. But then he died (or - and this is the best part - he PRETENDED to die) and his body disappeared, but he just kept right on being alive, so that he could help people like me and my dad.

My friends kid me sometimes about how much I admire Jack and depend on him. And sometimes I think maybe they're right. But then Jack reminds me real quick that I had better not piss him off. Nothing really bad, of course - he makes me bang my finger with a hammer, or makes me get stuck in traffic so I'm late for work. Boy, does that bring me back quick to my senses! I've learned never ever to doubt Jack. He is one powerful dude!

Some of my friends are nicer, and ask me to introduce them to Jack, so that Jack can help them, too. I tell them it's real easy. All you have to do is be ready to notice when Jack shows up. You won't see him, you won't hear him, but you'll know when he's there. And then you just have to do whatever you think Jack would want you to do, because if you do something he doesn't like, he'll dump you.

I'm pretty sure that Jack is so great that when any of his friends are about to die, Jack won't let them. He'll show them how to do exactly what he did: keep right on being alive, even though the body is gone. In fact, I asked Jack about that, and I just had such a wonderful thrill go through my body that I know it was Jack, telling me, "That's right!"

I can't believe how lucky I am, that I got to know Jack.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: March 27, 2017 02:29PM

You are so blessed to know Jack. Those who don't know Jack will never feel the still, small voice that will impress them to choose the right (thing to do). Jack is so awesome, Jack can do EVERYTHING, but he needs us to do his work here--he works *through* us. Isn't that wonderful? An opportunity to serve Jack! To go through every day, working hard, and thinking about how we will be with Jack some day. He needs us to work for him because there is an adversary who wants us to stay away from Jack; the adversary wants us to turn Jack off. It's very tempting.

Please, doubt your doubts, don't turn Jack off.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: March 27, 2017 02:32PM

The best part of knowing Jack is you get to tell others, "You don't know Jack!"

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: March 27, 2017 02:39PM

"I can't believe how lucky I am, that I got to know Jack."

Oh, I believe it!

Reminds me of the following from Stalag 17, set in a WWII POW camp:

Triz' Trzcinski: [after reading letter from home] I believe it. My wife says, "Darling, you won't believe it, but I found the most adorable baby on our doorstep and I've decided to keep it for our very own. Now you won't believe it, but it's got exactly my eyes and nose." Why does she keep saying I won't believe it? I believe it! I believe it.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: March 27, 2017 02:41PM

I often ask Jack why he only helps some people. I ask him if he could help all those dying kids in the hospital, but Jack tells me they have to be doing the right things and asking for help themselves and sometimes, helping the dying kids isn't what's right for the dying kids. So then I ask if Jack already knows what's going to be good for us, and what's going to happen to us, should I even ask for things. Jack says that asking is part of the process no matter which way it turns out.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: March 27, 2017 04:27PM

Isn't this the guy that bums a free ride in your trunk, but lets you down at the first sign of trouble?

Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: March 27, 2017 05:04PM

You are so lucky, I wish I knew Jack. His last name isn't shit by any chance is it? Oh, sorry, just re-read your post, he doesn't have a last name. Someday I would like to meet Jack and have him hang out with me too. Does he approve of people who say naughty words and has a fridge full of beer? Does Jesus know Jack?

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 27, 2017 07:07PM

Dogs can smell things we can't smell. Certain animals can see things we can't see. Just because something is beyond the ability of our senses to detect, does that mean that it's not there? Or does it just mean that our senses have limits?

We are like a fish in a fish bowl claiming that there's nothing outside our bowl.

Posted by: carameldreams ( )
Date: March 27, 2017 07:24PM

summer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> We are like a fish in a fish bowl claiming that
> there's nothing outside our bowl.

Why do all your examples involve only animals?

How are we 'like a fish in a fish bowl' in sensory data assimilation?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.