Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Disbelief in Albany ( )
Date: March 27, 2017 07:30AM

They say that when we die, we go to the spirit world. Yet, we also must wait to be resurrected. What's up with THAT?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: March 27, 2017 07:50AM

Maybe heaven is like one huge bureaucracy. When you get there supposing you do, you're asked to take a ticket and get in line like the other spirit souls waiting their turn.

Or, we have to die to self ie, id, ego, consciousness, in order to be reborn into our immortal being.

Or ... only heaven knows.

I believe when we die we shed the physical body for good, in exchange for an immortal one. If we really are going to live beyond this life in a another realm, I personally believe that we're in transition upon death. It may be a process that involves transcending. If there is to be a judgement, it will be done individually - and not at the same time.

But without inordinate waiting time to get where we're going.

Posted by: Disbelief in Albany ( )
Date: March 27, 2017 09:26AM

Great. So it'll be like my doctor's office: always overbooked by two hours. I better bring my spirit tablet so I can read some spirit books.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: March 27, 2017 09:48AM

Made-up stuff rarely actually makes sense.
Or is self-consistent.

People are scared of dying and ceasing to exist. So they make up "comforting" fantasies to tell themselves to ameliorate that fear. And then pretend it's real.

Date: March 27, 2017 10:31AM

Are you afraid of what's on the other side, if there is life after death?

Would it frighten you after being adamantly opposed to the idea of it, that when you die you realize you aren't really gone but instead a different version of your former self?

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: March 27, 2017 01:39PM

Amyjo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Are you afraid of what's on the other side, if
> there is life after death?

Of course not.

> Would it frighten you after being adamantly
> opposed to the idea of it, that when you die you
> realize you aren't really gone but instead a
> different version of your former self?

I would explore that situation with the same wonder and awe I explore life.

But here's the thing: there's no evidence of any kind there IS such a thing. And 'belief' that there is such a thing IS largely driven by a fear of dying/disappearing.

I'm not "adamantly opposed" to any idea. I simply don't give outrageous ideas based on fear and superstition that haven't got a shred of supporting evidence any merit whatsoever. They don't deserve it.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: March 27, 2017 10:12AM

Heaven is supposed to be just that: Heaven. However, according to mormon doctrine, we were living with heavenly parents in the "pre-mortal" existence, Therefor, pre-mortal existence=heaven. As I recall being taught, there was a huge "war" in heaven resulting in some spirit folks being kicked out. Wow. Sure doesn't sound very peaceful or happy to me. It makes me wonder if when we pass to the next life, is it going to be more of the same? ;)

Date: March 27, 2017 10:32AM

I picture a Star Wars kind of heaven.

W/Darth Vader for the bad guy. And Obi-Won Kenobi to the rescue.

;)

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: March 27, 2017 10:25AM

You also have to wait until a Mormon does a 15-second dead dunk in one of their temples. And you need to fight orcs from Middle Earth.

Mormonism is the "Uncle Rico's time machine" of religion.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: March 27, 2017 10:31AM

"TURN IT OFF! TURN IT OFF!"

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: March 27, 2017 01:35PM

It always sounded like a waiting room. That's what life is, some would say. Pure nonsense!

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: March 27, 2017 01:46PM

Dont forget that theres also spirit prison where people wait for missionaries from spirit paradise to come give them the discussions

Date: March 27, 2017 01:57PM

Some YouTube video that was posted last week shared some woman who had a vision she saw Joseph Smith burning in hell. His many wives were in the background burning along with him, but each was beyond his reach.

How would that be for being in hell? To be so close to the object of your desire and forever kept from her (or him?)

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: March 27, 2017 02:13PM

Yeah, I've wondered about the pre-mortal" heaven vs. the "pre-resurrection" heaven vs. "eternity".

Is pre-mortal heaven like a super-cool mansion we lived in until Heavenly Father sent us off to work at the East Bakersfield McDonalds so that we would learn life lessons and wisdom and prepare to pass the test so we could come *back* to the super-cool mansion?

Or is it different?
And, what exactly is eternal heaven? Is it actually Earth as some kind of transformed giant crystal thing? (D&C 130:9) But then where exactly do the less-valiant go?

I would like a REAL definition from a TBM. It doesn't make much sense because the church says that we learned things in the pre-existence (so what do we learn on Earth that could better than in heaven!?) And it seems to be a super-cool thing to get a physical body--"All who kept their “first estate” (premortal life) were promised that they would “be added upon” (which includes receiving mortal bodies)."(BoA 3:26)

Does *that* make sense, that you a body that eventually falls apart, and has limitations, needs, and urges??

Amway makes more sense than TSCC doctrine.......

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.