Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: March 25, 2017 11:44PM

1. Do you believe that self-replicating life occurred via purely natural processes, randomly, with no direction or purpose?

2. Do you realize there is absolutely no scientific support for this assertion? It is a statement of faith, not fact?

I'm curious, without lengthy explanation, to hear some yes - no responses . . . . then perhaps an explanation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2017 11:52PM by thingsithink.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: spiritist ( )
Date: March 26, 2017 12:08AM

I 'believe' in God, spirits, evolution, and progression/advancement (mentally, physically, etc.).

However, based on some 'experiences' I believe in 'intervention' ----- not necessarily only a one-time intervention but that is just a belief based partially on experiences and also some comments from various 'woo area' authors.

Therefore, I believe we are still in the process of progressing.

As far as logically ------ if scientists now, with all our technology, cannot demonstrate how 'self-replicating life' could have come about, what is the 'chance' that life could have occurred 'purely at random'????

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2017 12:32AM by spiritist.

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: March 26, 2017 11:11AM

Talk about a nonsense response that had nothing to do with the question posed. Can you say anything on this board that isn't a total deviation from the topic or something that doesn't espouse your particular brand of woo-woo beliefs in spiritist nonsense?

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: March 26, 2017 01:18PM

midwestanon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Talk about a nonsense response that had nothing to
> do with the question posed. Can you say anything
> on this board that isn't a total deviation from
> the topic or something that doesn't espouse your
> particular brand of woo-woo beliefs in spiritist
> nonsense?

The question posed by the OP was about "belief" and "realization."

"...espouse[ing] your particular brand of woo-woo beliefs in spiritist nonsense" was the answer implicitly sought by the OP.

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: March 27, 2017 05:31AM

Really? The way I read it, the long and short of the question was about evolution. I know it said the word believe in it.

And if that's what spiritist believes with regard to self-replicating life and evolution... I dunno. I have no words.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2017 05:33AM by midwestanon.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: March 26, 2017 12:15AM

I'm with Charles Darwin on this one. Shit happened and here were are.

Posted by: Tall Man, Short Hair ( )
Date: March 26, 2017 12:33AM

Lethbridge Reprobate Wrote:
> I'm with Charles Darwin on this one. Shit happened
> and here were are.

Darwin specifically avoided addressing the origin of life. He suggested that all life could have descended from "some primordial form," but offered no suggestions on the source of these building blocks.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 26, 2017 03:18AM

Let's see. . .

Darwin avoided saying in his most famous publications that God did not exist. There were no political reasons for that reticence, right? I mean, public atheism wouldn't have discredited his work on natural selection, right?

The fact is that in his letters and notebooks Darwin described the spontaneous origin of life as probable and recorded his surmises about the chemical mechanisms that may have been involved. He said as much in at least one publication. Your implication that he was agnostic about the genesis of life, in other words, is false.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: March 26, 2017 12:23AM

If we accept that life only comes from life, it must mean that there always has been life.

The history of our universe as we understand it suggests that there was a time before living organisms could function.

There is no evidence for life arising from sterile elements.

So if I want a placeholder to fill the gap between life and no life, I could call it God, or I could call it Bleen* The name means nothing. It's the function that is unknown.

*Thanks to George Carlin for the word Bleen.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 26, 2017 12:26AM

I believe the word you are looking for is abiogenesis.

Try taking a stab at education instead of creationist bullshit.

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/abioprob/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2017 12:29AM by Dave the Atheist.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: March 26, 2017 12:44AM

Yes. You and I are evidence of self-replicating life.

Posted by: Programmed ( )
Date: March 26, 2017 02:27AM

Murphy's Law: anything that can happen will happen.

Given infinite time, every possible thing will happen.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: March 26, 2017 02:47AM

We shouldn't be here. At two times in human history, the population was so low and sparse (according to genetic bottlenecks), humans should have gone extinct. But we didn't. It's possible we were incredibly lucky, but if dumb luck doesn't do it for you, someone was watching out for us.

Life is a big deal. Much too important to be left up to chance.

Posted by: William Law ( )
Date: March 26, 2017 01:14PM

Yep. We were lucky, and we should acknowledge it--no problem with that.

What about the millions of other species that have gone extinct, including every other one of our homo genus cousins? Unlucky? Yep.

The problem with saying that we were created by something intelligent means that eventually, going backward, something intelligent rose out of chaos and randomness.

The old Mormon reasoning about the origin of God was that he came from a father and mother, and they in turn came from a father and mother, ad infinitum. But it has to begin somewhere.

Date: March 26, 2017 01:19PM

Posted by: jstone ( )
Date: March 26, 2017 10:06AM

This is perhaps a slightly different version of the “where did everything come from?” question. It has, of course, no real satisfactory answer either through science or otherwise.

Our challenge on realising this situation as individuals is what do we do next?

Well, good advice on personal integrity and how to be happy abounds - though I think many of the answers on how to live we know intuitively. We do also need to be on our guard against sophistry and deceit, and I must add to that Mormonism is not such a great route.

Date: March 26, 2017 10:29AM

The first commandment is "Don't worry" and the second is like unto it: "Be happy".

Posted by: 64monkey ( )
Date: March 26, 2017 10:35AM

I'm here, that's evidence enough for me for self replicating life.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: March 26, 2017 11:04AM

We have two choices (I can't think of a third possibility) as answers to this question:

1. Life did indeed begin with a chance combination of inanimate chemicals and energy, millions or billions of years ago, and continued to reproduce itself.

2. Life began when some super-intelligent and super-powerful being (whom nobody can explain without uttering self-contradictory nonsense and absurdities) said some magic words, and created life, leaving completely unanswered the question of how that being got ITS life.

Posted by: thinking ( )
Date: March 27, 2017 02:09AM

Maybe it's all "alive"?

That may seem silly. What is it that defines life? How can we tell that one thing is alive and another is not? Most people have an intuitive understanding of what it means for something to be alive. However, it’s surprisingly hard to come up with a precise definition of life. Because of this, many definitions of life are operational definitions—they allow us to separate living things from nonliving ones, but they don’t actually pin down what life is. To make this separation, we must come up with a list of properties that are, as a group, uniquely characteristic of living organisms. These characteristics and qualification are what people at our current level of science attribute.

When you drill down far enough to you just run into molecules and elements which are considered to be the precursors to life. Obviously, certain things seem more alive than others, but why? One thing is certain the cause and effect principle. From the seemingly lifeless molecules to the complex human will always react with acted upon. Maybe everything has an "element" of life in it just at various complexities which denote its sentience.

My side hypothesis to this quandary. What is the motor or the locomotive force behind all of this which physics has grappled with for 100s of years? My educated guess, under recognized and misunderstood properties of magnetism.

Is there more to the story? An intelligence of some source which set it all in motion and which we are part of? So far nobody seems to be able to prove empirically what they claim to know for or against. To offer up any answer is faith based production of a belief.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: March 26, 2017 12:26PM

thingsithink Wrote:

> 2. Do you realize there is absolutely no
> scientific support for this assertion? It is a
> statement of faith, not fact?

There is so much scientific support it makes my head hurt. Look up de novo polynucleotide synthesis. Look up spontaneous formation of amino acids in labs. Look up the phenomenon of organisms foreign to anything we call normal living in heat vents at the bottom of the ocean. Best bet: take a blxxdy biology class!!!

I promised myself yesterday that I would stop posting for a while to let somebody else have a turn. But threads like this one really grate me and I had to respond.

Okay, maybe there was a supernatural force at work. But to expand on Mr Packham's response: which supernatural force? Was it the Earth Diver? Did the cosmos appear after a great battle between Tiamat and Marduk? Or when Shiva had a dream? Or when some Semitic El spoke some powerful words? Which one? Oh, wait! I know! It was all the work of John Frum!!!!

And if so: where did Earth Diver come from? How did Shiva originate, or El, or Marduk? Remember: there is no scientific support of the existence of any of these.

Science does not require any sort of faith. Science is learning how to tell your ass from a hole in the ground.

Date: March 26, 2017 12:48PM

slskipper Wrote:
> thingsithink Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> > 2. Do you realize there is absolutely no
> > scientific support for this assertion? It is a
> > statement of faith, not fact?
>
> There is so much scientific support it makes my
> head hurt. Look up de novo polynucleotide
> synthesis. Look up spontaneous formation of amino
> acids in labs. Look up the phenomenon of organisms
> foreign to anything we call normal living in heat
> vents at the bottom of the ocean. Best bet: take a
> blxxdy biology class!!!

I don't think anyone here is arguing that some elements needed for the formation of living matter can be located. The problem is the distance between the gaps and the paucity of substantial evidence to support the assertion that the whole could be assembled entirely by random chance with no external guidance or direction.

If you hand me a lug nut, steering wheel, oil pan, and a brake pad, then give me a bit of time, I can probably tell you the exact type of car they come from. I might even be able to show you how all the missing parts come together to form a working automobile. I cannot honestly tell you exactly how all the other parts came into existence, and I have no way to even guess at the sort of engineering required to compile them into a functioning automobile. Evolutionary science often seems to insist that they are able to make these sorts of leaps, however.

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: March 26, 2017 01:04PM

Tall Man, Short Hair Wrote:
> Evolutionary science often
> seems to insist that they are able to make these
> sorts of leaps, however.

"In principle," they can, they say. But it is this that betrays their faith.

I don't understand why the 'science-and-only-science' crowd cannot simply admit that there are a few axiomatic assumptions behind our pursuit of truth via the scientific method.

Date: March 26, 2017 01:12PM

Human Wrote:
> Tall Man, Short Hair Wrote:
> -----
> > Evolutionary science often
> > seems to insist that they are able to make
> these
> > sorts of leaps, however.
>
> "In principle," they can, they say. But it is
> this that betrays their faith.

Great point! What would science be without some super smart people wondering, "Hey, what if...???" and then having the tools and education to pursue (perhaps outlandish) possibilities to see what may actually be valid? But the discovery process is entirely different than the proof of a process.

>
> I don't understand why the
> 'science-and-only-science' crowd cannot simply
> admit that there are a few axiomatic assumptions
> behind our pursuit of truth via the scientific
> method.

Yep, we need to be careful how liberally we define "self-evident" truths.

Date: March 27, 2017 01:50AM

It could be that nature favors intuitive beings. First of all it's a selection process. Secondly, intuitive beings can project intention to produce a future pole that attracts that reality. The "what" occurs first and the "how" emerges out of possibility space. Expansive thought leads to increasing complexity and upward evolution. No "God" required.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: March 27, 2017 09:45AM

> The problem is the distance
> between the gaps and the paucity of substantial
> evidence to support the assertion that the whole
> could be assembled entirely by random chance with
> no external guidance or direction.

As there is no evidence of ANY kind (making the 'distance' you refer to above infinite) of any "external guidance or direction," you have a far bigger problem than 'science' does.

And adding the straw-man of "entirely by random chance' simply doubles-down the fallacies you are so enamored of.

Arguments from personal ignorance and incredulity are so silly. You're a smart guy, why keep using them?

Posted by: dogblogger ( )
Date: March 26, 2017 12:41PM

The evidence was most likely destroyed. I don't mean that in the angel took back the gold plates style though.

Life probably evolved multiple times on earth before and during the beginning of the Late Heavy Bombardment period. This life was likely ejected into space near earth during the bombardment.

We know that is possible from rocks on earth from Mars. We know that primitive life like bacteria can survive into space.

And orbited earth until falling back to earth returning life to an even better environment after the Late Heavy Bombardment. We know bacteria can also survive this trip.

The Late Heavy Bombardment of Earth rewrote the surface of the earth in catastrophic ways that could easily have and certainly seems to have destroyed any evidence left on earth.

Posted by: Eastbourne ( )
Date: March 26, 2017 10:29PM

Consider the "Double Slit Experiment" Are subatomic particles alive?

Caution 1: Physicists can describe what happens, but cannot fully explain it.

Caution 2: Most physicists are atheists, and neither they or any other medical or scientific community has yet to provide a generally acceptable explanation of "consciousness"

Caution 3: I am not a physicist, but have friends who are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwXQjRBLwsQ

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double-slit_experiment

Short summary: Physicists have demonstrated that particles such as electrons "know" when they ARE, being watched/measured/observed and when they ARE Not being watched/measured/observed.

When NOT under observation electrons behave as a "wave function", and can go through 2 different slits at the same time.

When under observation, electrons "change" from their wave-function and act like baseballs, and can only go through one or the other of the slits, but not both.

Physicists have also proven that electrons can travel back in time to become particles AFTER they went the the slits as a wave, but only when they REALIZE that they- the electrons - are being observed.

Are electrons self aware? Are they alive?

Religionists likely believe that God has endowed these subatomic particles with life, and humans consist of billions and trillions of them.

Date: March 26, 2017 10:38PM

I don't think awareness is implied by the collapse of wave function.

Date: March 27, 2017 01:57AM

Mostly it proves that the mind in not entirely inside the skull. It's the proverbial camel sticking its nose in the tent of science.

Date: March 27, 2017 09:02AM

Babyloncansuckit Wrote:
> Mostly it proves that the mind in not entirely
> inside the skull. It's the proverbial camel
> sticking its nose in the tent of science.

No, actually, it doesn't "prove" any such thing.

Date: March 27, 2017 04:35PM

Describe the physical process by which meditation upon a double slit interference pattern can perturb its wave function. The equipment is inside a box. There is a field apparently produced by consciousness. But scepticism is big business. Cash is king, and materialists are like everyone else. If they have a pile of it, they guard it like Smaug's gold.

Date: March 27, 2017 05:28PM

Babyloncansuckit Wrote:
> Describe the physical process by which meditation
> upon a double slit interference pattern can
> perturb its wave function. The equipment is inside
> a box. There is a field apparently produced by
> consciousness.

Since nobody's demonstrated such a thing, why should I have to "explain it?"

Yes, an essay was published making such a claim, in 2012. And shortly after, numerous problems with the methodology and statistics were pointed out, and nobody has been able to replicate the results. That, of course, doesn't keep the "popular" press from reporting then, and now (both incorrectly) that "science" has "proven" that "consciousness" produces a "field" of some kind, which hasn't been shown at all.

> But scepticism is big business.
> Cash is king, and materialists are like everyone
> else. If they have a pile of it, they guard it
> like Smaug's gold.

Oh, sure. I get thousands of dollars every time I'm reasonable, rational, and skeptical. The men in the tin foil hats pay me.

Not.

Posted by: TMSH nli ( )
Date: March 27, 2017 02:06AM

donbagley Wrote:
> I don't think awareness is implied by the collapse
> of wave function.

But honestly, don't the double slit experiments sort of blow your mind? I don't think I've ever just said "WOW!" so much as when I first waded in and started reading about them.

Date: March 27, 2017 05:45AM

consider this alternative: when we view the photons, they go from non local to local. Is this because we're localized and Newtonian?
Are the possibilities collapsed because of our limitations?

I have no idea what the real answer is.

Posted by: TMSH nli ( )
Date: March 27, 2017 06:18AM

Entangled pairs of particles can be separated by huge distances and a measurement performed on one of the pair will instantly (faster than the speed of light) impact its entangled partner. Einstein called it "spooky action at a distance."

Here's some more on it:

The paradox is that a measurement made on either of the particles apparently collapses the state of the entire entangled system—and does so instantaneously, before any information about the measurement result could have been communicated to the other particle (assuming that information cannot travel faster than light) and hence assured the "proper" outcome of the measurement of the other part of the entangled pair. In the quantum formalism, the result of a spin measurement on one of the particles is a collapse into a state in which each particle has a definite spin (either up or down) along the axis of measurement. The outcome is taken to be random, with each possibility having a probability of 50%. However, if both spins are measured along the same axis, they are found to be anti-correlated. This means that the random outcome of the measurement made on one particle seems to have been transmitted to the other, so that it can make the "right choice" when it too is measured.[32]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_entanglement

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: March 27, 2017 07:01AM

Yes, it is a paradox. And it could be evidence of some as-yet undescribed law of physics. But, like everything else that "science cannot explain", it doesn't mean that the only possible answer is the God of the Old Testament.

Date: March 27, 2017 09:01AM

It's not a "paradox" at all if there are actually 11 or so dimensions. If that's the case, these "entangled" particles could still be right next to each other in some dimensions, requiring no travel time for information exchange, while being far apart in others. Think of a vertical line on a 2-dimensional Cartesian graph: two points could be at the exact same location in the Y dimension, while being far apart in the X dimension. Similar idea.

No, we don't know yet if there are 11 dimension (or more, or less). It's an area of intense research to find out. I just wanted to point out that "entangled particles" might not be so "paradoxical" after all.

Date: March 27, 2017 08:57AM

thingsithink Wrote:
> 1. Do you believe that self-replicating life
> occurred via purely natural processes, randomly,
> with no direction or purpose?

I don't do "belief." I go by facts and evidence.

> 2. Do you realize there is absolutely no
> scientific support for this assertion? It is a
> statement of faith, not fact?

There is evidence of self-replicating "life" occurring naturally. You. Me. All life.

How did that observed self-replicating, natural life "occur" originally? We don't know yet. We might never know, as it occurred a long time ago.

There is also evidence of several natural mechanisms (you can leave "random" out of it, by insisting that be included you go too far -- and non-random does not mean "supernatural) by which self-replicating life *could* have come about. We don't know which one (if any) of those mechanisms *did* result in life, and we don't know specific details about lots of them. But we do know there are processes that *could* have produced all-natural life.

Not knowing yet doesn't mean "god did it." Or aliens did it. Or that it was "supernatural" in any way. It also doesn't mean it must have been "all-natural." It means we don't know yet.

However, as there is zero evidence of any kind of anything "supernatural" at all, and a great deal of evidence in the universe that natural processes produce "order," it's reasonable to look for natural process "origins" of life, and see if we can find them, while it's not reasonable at all to claim 'god did it.'

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: March 27, 2017 09:40AM

And I think this hurdle will never be resolved. Observation backed up by data that has been objectified by countless retests and reviews. The observations about the supernatural world by definition cannot have data to back them up. So supernatural observations cannot be quantified or qualified.

Date: March 27, 2017 09:47AM

jacob Wrote:
> So
> supernatural observations cannot be quantified or
> qualified.

Or even shown in any way to have ever occurred.

Especially since what's claimed as a "supernatural observation" is always, without exception, an argument from personal ignorance or incredulity. As in:

"I can't explain how it happened, so it must be supernatural!"
and
"I can't believe it could be anything but supernatural, so it must be!"

Date: March 27, 2017 11:57AM

ificouldhietokolob Wrote:
> jacob Wrote:
> -----
> > So
> > supernatural observations cannot be quantified
> or
> > qualified.
>
> Or even shown in any way to have ever occurred.
>
> Especially since what's claimed as a "supernatural
> observation" is always, without exception, an
> argument from personal ignorance or incredulity.

These become "what's good for the goose is good for the gander" moments. There are frequent elements of dogma in science regarding these things even though the basic assumptions are entirely unscientific. The emergence of matter and its subsequent animation into self-replicating life are events that have never been observed and never suggested we will ever see again.

An appeal to "science will provide the answer to prove it occurred by entirely natural processes" simply because of a personal ignorance or incredulity that it could possibly have occurred otherwise is a statement of faith on par with that of an individual who insists it must have been supernatural to the exclusion of any other process.

The dogma of the supernatural position readily admits the events leading up to the emergence of matter and its animation into self-replicating life are past events that for some reason no longer occur, and likely are due to circumstances or events that are outside of anything remotely approaching what is part of our current existential understanding of the natural world. This position is more accurate than a dogma insisting upon a natural process that simply cannot be identified or duplicated.

It seems pretty clear there's no room for absolute dogma with either position, but science tends to embrace theirs with the religious fervor similar to the, well, religious. And seldom do you see these discussions in a scientific presentation that will readily pause at each gap in actual, observable, evidence-based elements to note the departure from fact and the extension of supposition.

Ironically, it's the supernatural position in these discussions that occupies the more scientific position. It readily admits it can be falsified if a natural process is discovered that demonstrates the pathway for inert matter to somehow assemble itself into self-replicating life. The dogmatic claim this process is natural and no supporting evidence is needed to establish this claim results in an unfalsifiable proposition. That sort of claim wouldn't even be accepted in a philosophical or ideological discussion, and it's certainly foreign to actual scientific methods.

> As in:
>
> "I can't explain how it happened, so it must be
> supernatural!"
> and
> "I can't believe it could be anything but
> supernatural, so it must be!"

As in:

"I can't explain how it happened, so it must be natural!"
and
"I can't believe it could be anything but a natural process, so it must be!"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2017 12:33PM by Tall Man, Short Hair.

Date: March 27, 2017 01:03PM

> These become "what's good for the goose is good
> for the gander" moments.

Perhaps, if you'd stop crafting straw-men to argue against.

> There are frequent
> elements of dogma in science regarding these
> things...

Oops, there goes that 'no straw men' idea.

There is no dogma in science. It's a proven-reliable method for finding out facts. That's all it is.
There *are* some scientists who get "dogmatic." They're fallible human beings, with their own biases and failings, so that's not at all surprising. But you taking those flawed, irrational leaps of some scientists as "dogma" in science would be like me taking mormonism as representative of christianity...something you would rightly call me out on, because doing so is ridiculous.

> An appeal to "science will provide the answer to
> prove it occurred by entirely natural processes"
> simply because of a personal ignorance or
> incredulity that it could possibly have occurred
> otherwise is a statement of faith on par with that
> of an individual who insists it must have been
> supernatural to the exclusion of any other
> process.

I never made any such appeal. There's another straw-man.
If you'll notice, I said above that we don't know, and possibly never will. How you got your made-up "quote" out of that I'll never know.

> The dogma of the supernatural position readily
> admits the events leading up to the emergence of
> matter and its animation into self-replicating
> life are past events that for some reason no
> longer occur, and likely are due to circumstances
> or events that are outside of anything remotely
> approaching what is part of our current
> existential understanding of the natural world.

a) it's dogma
b) since there is zero evidence of any kind for that dogma, frankly I really don't care what the dogma is. Without some supporting evidence, it's a pile of worthless claims.

> This position is more accurate than a dogma
> insisting upon a natural process that simply
> cannot be identified or duplicated.

With no supporting evidence of any kind, the position isn't "accurate" in any way. It's a dogmatic assumption, without any evidence to show it "accurate." Calling it accurate is absurd.

> It seems pretty clear there's no room for absolute
> dogma with either position, but science tends to
> embrace theirs with the religious fervor similar
> to the, well, religious.

Please point out where in the scientific method ANYTHING is embraced with any 'fervor,' religious or otherwise.
And by the way, everything isn't a religion. I know your toolset is limited, but using the 'religion' hammer where it's not appropriate is a very poor choice of tools.

> And seldom do you see
> these discussions in a scientific presentation
> that will readily pause at each gap in actual,
> observable, evidence-based elements to note the
> departure from fact and the extension of
> supposition.

By all means, present some evidence for that assertion. For example, in the recent "Cosmos" TV show, which admittedly had its poor moments and was mediocre "popularized" science, its host did just what you claim "rarely" happens on dozens of occasions.

And then compare and contrast that with religion, which claims to 'know' without a shred of evidence of any kind to back up their knowledge claims. You might want to address the much more egregious flaws in 'presentation' of the groups you agree with before going after other groups. Just a thought.

> Ironically, it's the supernatural position in
> these discussions that occupies the more
> scientific position. It readily admits it can be
> falsified if a natural process is discovered that
> demonstrates the pathway for inert matter to
> somehow assemble itself into self-replicating
> life.

That would be funny if it weren't so flat-out dishonest.

> The dogmatic claim this process is natural
> and no supporting evidence is needed to establish
> this claim results in an unfalsifiable
> proposition.

As I pointed out, 'science' doesn't make that claim in the first place (there's that straw-man problem again...).
And even if it did, your assertion would be false.
Evidence of something 'supernatural' could falsify it.
Got any evidence of something supernatural?
No.

> That sort of claim wouldn't even be
> accepted in a philosophical or ideological
> discussion, and it's certainly foreign to actual
> scientific methods.

As 'that sort of claim' isn't made by 'science,' and your assertion about it was false anyway...we can ignore that part.

> As in:
>
> "I can't explain how it happened, so it must be
> natural!"
> and
> "I can't believe it could be anything but a
> natural process, so it must be!"

How nice to finish up with two more straw-men. So consistent.

Date: March 27, 2017 01:20PM

I gotta go do some more work on plumbing, so I'll respond in detail later. But what did you do, take the weekend off? Benson had to work overtime, and it's messing with our budgeting.

Date: March 27, 2017 01:24PM

> I gotta go do some more work on plumbing, so I'll
> respond in detail later. But what did you do, take
> the weekend off? Benson had to work overtime, and
> it's messing with our budgeting.

I did (take the weekend off), actually. First one in several months. Does it show? :)

Date: March 27, 2017 03:52PM

Stopped for lunch, and no, you seem perfectly well rested and prepared for our conversation after your weekend off. I hope you did something frivolous and fun with the family.

I'll own the somewhat strawmanish nature of some of my reply, but offer an explanation.

We hold these conversations in the open and are likely viewed by others in our community. In your absence there was a bit of stir regarding this topic, and in my reply to you here, I addressed the larger issue that pops up here on occasion with those atheists who have moved beyond the standard "I don't believe in a god" atheism and have come to embrace the hard atheism of asserting, "there is no god." Am I reading you correctly that you don't consider yourself actually part of that camp?

The hard atheists are a strange bunch. They paint themselves into a corner where there is no science or empirical evidence that can ever be hoped to retrieve them. It's one thing to assert things that you may be able to support through a variety evidences, history, personal experiences, etc. But to assert something that is by definition impossible for any human to actually know, is the very essence of blind faith. Philosophical materialism is common with many atheists, but the hard atheists must embrace it as a universal, undeniable truth. That's just not something that can be proven scientifically.

Much of my reply was crafted with that position in mind since it was the genesis of this conversation at this time.

So, we may have more points of agreement here than is apparent from my talking past you to address the others.

Date: March 27, 2017 04:03PM

I would have thought by now you would know I wasn't in the "hard atheist" camp. You're correct -- they often make the same kind of assertions without evidence that religions make, and they're just as unsupportable.

I argue against any replacement of "we don't know" with unsupportable claims of certainty. Whether they come from theists, atheist, scientists, or anyone else.

How's the toilet replacement coming??
I did do some fun family things this weekend. New daughter is nearly 2, and she's just so damn cute...:)

Date: March 27, 2017 04:36PM

Cool. I can't believe it's been two years already since you welcomed your little one.

The plumbing is going well, and we're enjoying all the modern conveniences now. Much work remains. We're a bit over a year into rehabbing this foreclosure and still have our "what the hell did we get ourselves into" moments.

Regarding the hard atheists, we may depart on this, but Christians can at least point to actual historical touchstones that are part of their faith package. Hard atheists don't have these. I'm not sure the allure. Personally, I'd just adopt deism and avoid all the conflicts with reality.

Date: March 27, 2017 08:46PM

> Cool. I can't believe it's been two years already
> since you welcomed your little one.

Neither can we. Can't imagine life without her, though!

> The plumbing is going well, and we're enjoying all
> the modern conveniences now. Much work remains.
> We're a bit over a year into rehabbing this
> foreclosure and still have our "what the hell did
> we get ourselves into" moments.

Hopefully there's a light at the end of that tunnel. And it'll be worth it...right? ;-)

> Regarding the hard atheists, we may depart on
> this, but Christians can at least point to actual
> historical touchstones that are part of their
> faith package.

Well, ok, *some* "historical touchstones." None of them pertaining to "miracles" or "divine" or such, of course :)

> Hard atheists don't have these. I'm
> not sure the allure. Personally, I'd just adopt
> deism and avoid all the conflicts with reality.

Oh, I get the allure, I just treat all unsupportable claims the same way. The allure for many, I suspect, has to do with the culture around them pushing god-belief so hard. Once you reject -- for good reasons -- belief in the ones people are pushing you to believe, it's easy to get fed up with the whole thing, and just declare "There is no god, period!" Even if it's irrational and unsupportable (which it is).

Even so, deism is equally unsupportable, and to many (both believers and 'hard' atheists), it seems like a bit of a cop-out. You know, 'well, I can't make up my mind about the claimed gods, and they all seem beyond belief, but I might as well believe in SOMETHING, even if it's something that not claimed to have ever really done anything we could check up on, so I'll be a deist." Probably better to just say, "got me" when asked if you are a believer or not, and tell people it's not something you care to spend time on. :)

Date: March 27, 2017 09:57PM

I've always viewed deism as the polite philosopher's way of saying, "We gave at the office."

Posted by: Henry Bemis ( )
Date: March 27, 2017 03:08PM

These become "what's good for the goose is good for the gander" moments. There are frequent elements of dogma in science regarding these things even though the basic assumptions are entirely unscientific. The emergence of matter and its subsequent animation into self-replicating life are events that have never been observed and never suggested we will ever see again.

COMMENT: I fully agree that the specific abiogenesis mechanism is a mystery, and further that all proposed possible mechanisms are fraught with difficulty and even disqualifying objections as viewed from standard reductionist science.

However, notwithstanding, there is abundant evidence in molecular biology for the general principle of emergence, which is the backbone of evolution. Looking at this evidence in all of its marvelous detail makes one much more confident that there is indeed a natural biological explanation for the origin of life, making religious explanations appear to be much more ad hoc and "gaps" motivated. In short, the explanations are not on an equal "unscientific" footing at all. The abiogenesis assumption you allude to is absolutely scientific; because we can see the power of nature at both high and low levels of complexity.

An appeal to "science will provide the answer to prove it occurred by entirely natural processes" simply because of a personal ignorance or incredulity that it could possibly have occurred otherwise is a statement of faith on par with that of an individual who insists it must have been supernatural to the exclusion of any other process.

COMMENT: Again, no! (See above) Although I agree there is a scientific assumption involved, and if you find comfort in calling that faith, fine. The scientific assumption of abiogenesis is scientifically based, whereas the supernatural assumption is based solely upon religious dogma.

The dogma of the supernatural position readily admits the events leading up to the emergence of matter and its animation into self-replicating life are past events that for some reason no longer occur, and likely are due to circumstances or events that are outside of anything remotely approaching what is part of our current existential understanding of the natural world.

COMMENT: We understand the world of molecular biology more and more each day, and are continually astounded by its power to generate complexity. Moreover, we can see simple molecular structures evolving into replicating autocatalytic systems. So, your assumption that the abiogenesis thesis is "outside of anything remotely approaching . . . our understanding of the natural world is just wrong. I do agree, however, that science's inability to duplicate life, i.e. concoct a "primal soup" and watch it evolve, remains an interesting problem.

It seems pretty clear there's no room for absolute dogma with either position, but science tends to embrace theirs with the religious fervor similar to the, well, religious. And seldom do you see these discussions in a scientific presentation that will readily pause at each gap in actual, observable, evidence-based elements to note the departure from fact and the extension of supposition.

COMMENT: I essentially agree with this criticism. Science does not appreciate fully the holes, and systematically underestimates the difficulties. But again, the general assumption is very much valid scientifically.

Ironically, it's the supernatural position in these discussions that occupies the more scientific position. It readily admits it can be falsified if a natural process is discovered that demonstrates the pathway for inert matter to somehow assemble itself into self-replicating life.

COMMENT: Falsification does not require clear logical inconsistency. The supernatural position is effectively falsified by the reasonableness of the abiogenesis assumption, given what we already know, and the improbability of the supernatural assumption, given what we *do* know about life and its structural components.

The dogmatic claim this process is natural and no supporting evidence is needed to establish this claim results in an unfalsifiable proposition. That sort of claim wouldn't even be accepted in a philosophical or ideological discussion, and it's certainly foreign to actual scientific methods.

COMMENT: Entirely wrong, for reasons stated. You assume that because we do not have *the* mechanism for abiogenesis that the assumption of the *existence* of a natural explanation is scientifically unfounded. Nothing could be further from the truth.

The claim that life could not have originated from natural processes is a non-starter. The abiogenesis assumption is scientifically reasonable. What is more fruitful for religion, I think, is to accept that essentially all of *physical* nature is the result of natural processes, and question (1) whether consciousness can be explained by such processes; and (2) why the laws of nature are such as to include rather mysterious *emergence* of complex systems, most especially life, without any known underlying principle quantifying emergence as a natural law. Regarding (1), it is one thing for science to insist that one physical system can generate another more complex physical system through emergence, but quite another to throw in consciousness (a non-physical system) as also an emergent property. In this context, emergence as scientific "magic" does seem to be a valid criticism. Regarding (2), science's explanation for the highly improbable fine-tuning of the laws of nature to support the emergence of life (multiverse theories) is just as speculate as religious explanations of intelligence being involved.

(Suggested reading: Kaufmann: Reinventing the Sacred; particularly the chapter, Origin of Life.)

Date: March 27, 2017 04:00PM

Henry Bemis Wrote:
> ...but quite another to throw in
> consciousness (a non-physical system) as also an
> emergent property.

The assumption of "consciousness" as a "non-physical system" is a non-starter :)

> science's explanation
> for the highly improbable fine-tuning of the laws
> of nature to support the emergence of life
> (multiverse theories) is just as speculate as
> religious explanations of intelligence being
> involved.

'science' doesn't offer 'explanations." Scientists might, but that's different.
At any rate, "multiverse theories" aren't offered as explanations, though they are sometimes mentioned as *possible* explanations for some things IF they turn out to be correct (which isn't assumed or stated).

Date: March 27, 2017 07:04PM

The assumption of "consciousness" as a "non-physical system" is a non-starter :)

COMMENT: Well, you are the only person I know of that thinks consciousness is physical. For example, our distain for Mormonism is an attitude and a feeling; not just the state of, or firing of, neurons in the brain. When we feel hurt we are talking about how we feel; our state of consciousness; not the state of our brains.

'science' doesn't offer 'explanations." Scientists might, but that's different.

COMMENT: Last time I checked, "science" proceeds through scientists.

At any rate, "multiverse theories" aren't offered as explanations, though they are sometimes mentioned as *possible* explanations for some things IF they turn out to be correct (which isn't assumed or stated).

COMMENT: Multiverse theories have been offered as an explanation for universe fine-tuning (cosmic anthropic principle) by various scientists on a number of occasions. In fact, a number of scientists recognize on theoretical grounds alone that this is the only viable explanation because of the improbability of a universe arising from the big-bang that is fine-tuned for the emergence of life.

Date: March 27, 2017 04:11PM

Henry Bemis Wrote:
> These become "what's good for the goose is good
> for the gander" moments. There are frequent
> elements of dogma in science regarding these
> things even though the basic assumptions are
> entirely unscientific. The emergence of matter and
> its subsequent animation into self-replicating
> life are events that have never been observed and
> never suggested we will ever see again.
>
> COMMENT: I fully agree that the specific
> abiogenesis mechanism is a mystery, and further
> that all proposed possible mechanisms are fraught
> with difficulty and even disqualifying objections
> as viewed from standard reductionist science.
>
> However, notwithstanding, there is abundant
> evidence in molecular biology for the general
> principle of emergence, which is the backbone of
> evolution. Looking at this evidence in all of its
> marvelous detail makes one much more confident
> that there is indeed a natural biological
> explanation for the origin of life, making
> religious explanations appear to be much more ad
> hoc and "gaps" motivated. In short, the
> explanations are not on an equal "unscientific"
> footing at all. The abiogenesis assumption you
> allude to is absolutely scientific; because we can
> see the power of nature at both high and low
> levels of complexity.
>

Hi Henry. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I think our main point of contention will be with this statement above. I often see the confidence displayed that the gaps are minute and the supporting evidence is so great, that there is no reasonable foundation to doubt it.

Well, I do. I'm certainly no expert, but I've read a lot on this topic, and I find the gaps are consistently much larger and spaced farther apart than proponents seem willing to admit. In my experience, it's the gaps that are great and the supporting evidence is minute.

The actual mechanics involved in the formation of that first living, self-replicating cell are astronomical. But I frequently see heralded milestones along the way of a certain component that has been recreated in extensive laboratory testing as somehow substantial proof pointing to the whole. Sorry, I'm just not seeing it. And each of these milestones carries the irony of having been the product of intelligent intervention to create something that could not be observed naturally occurring. It's tough to use this sort of thing as an argument against external intervention in the process.

The balancing act of the permeable membrane, precursor RNA leading to DNA, processing and creation of proteins, etc. etc. etc. is monumental. Add to this the intrinsic claim that valid data is collected, stored, transmitted, and duplicated by some entirely natural process with no goal or purpose, and the equation becomes even murkier. Our ability to isolate and imagine the origin for some of the elements in its creation is not the same as understanding or explaining how the whole came to be.

Date: March 27, 2017 06:43PM

Greetings to you as well.

"I think our main point of contention will be with this statement above. I often see the confidence displayed that the gaps are minute and the supporting evidence is so great, that there is no reasonable foundation to doubt it."

COMMENT: Well, "reason to doubt" is a bit different question. That is a psychological response to the scientific abiogenesis assumption. But, as I noted, we are talking about a scientific assumption that is reasonable, whether one doubts it or not. In fact, it seems much more reasonable than a theological assumption. True, the answers are still not there, but, again, the power of nature to generate complexity *is* there, which supports the claim that providing a more detailed and satisfactory natural explanation is not so intractable as to suggest looking elsewhere for the answer.

"Well, I do. I'm certainly no expert, but I've read a lot on this topic, and I find the gaps are consistently much larger and spaced farther apart than proponents seem willing to admit. In my experience, it's the gaps that are great and the supporting evidence is minute."

COMMENT: I cannot comment unless you make a specific point about a specific gap, or gaps. Note also that theists unreasonable exploit these gaps just as scientists may at times minimize them. I think you have to step back a bit and ask yourself the general question: What does molecular biology tell us about the ability of nature to generate complexity? If you conclude, which I think you must, that very simple molecular systems organize themselves through autocatalytic processes to create autopoietic systems (essentially self-preserving molecular systems), then you are forced, I think, to give biology the benefit of the doubt with respect to abiogenesis. But, what have you read? As I suggested, read Kaufmann, who is a biologist, and whose book I noted is recent. You will find that he takes the abiogenesis problem quite seriously. Many other recent books also discuss this, for example, Terrance Deacon, Incomplete Nature, discusses such issues at length.

"The actual mechanics involved in the formation of that first living, self-replicating cell are astronomical. But I frequently see heralded milestones along the way of a certain component that has been recreated in extensive laboratory testing as somehow substantial proof pointing to the whole. Sorry, I'm just not seeing it. And each of these milestones carries the irony of having been the product of intelligent intervention to create something that could not be observed naturally occurring. It's tough to use this sort of thing as an argument against external intervention in the process."

COMMENT: As complex as the cell surely is, it is still made up of molecular structures and functions that are basically known and understood. Moreover, the molecular components are not complicated. What *is* complicated is the organizational complexity; how everything fits together to accomplish the cell's various functions. But--and here is the rub--self-organized complexity can be seen as a property of biological systems outside of the abiogenesis debate. That fact is the basis for a reasonable abiogenesis assumption.

Also, your assessment strikes me as a bit outdated. First, as you say, no mechanism has even come close to being established to explain how life happened. So, I agree with you there. Part of the problem is viewing this issue from a narrow, classical lens of Newtonian mechanics; or from the failure of clearly inadequate experimental efforts. 20th century naturalism involves the possibility of both quantum influences and emergent properties, both of which imply possibilities beyond Newtonian mechanics.

"The balancing act of the permeable membrane, precursor RNA leading to DNA, processing and creation of proteins, etc. etc. etc. is monumental. Add to this the intrinsic claim that valid data is collected, stored, transmitted, and duplicated by some entirely natural process with no goal or purpose, and the equation becomes even murkier. Our ability to isolate and imagine the origin for some of the elements in its creation is not the same as understanding or explaining how the whole came to be."

COMMENT: I don't disagree with this; Both "RNA World" approaches and protein first approaches are Newtonian approaches that have significant problems in principle; as you say, one of which is getting from point A to point B, and from point B to point C, etc. etc. through some mechanistic story. Notice, however, that we have and understand DNA and protein synthesis to a very high level; and we see how these processes, and others, combine and evolve in cellular structures and functions. And we see to a large degree how all of this is put together. The fact that we cannot explain how simple amino acids first combined into a functional protein within a cell, or the first functional DNA sequence became encapsulated within a cellular membrane, does not, in my view, undermine our reasonable expectation that it happened somehow within the context of what we understand about how biology works.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: March 27, 2017 05:16PM

I think you misunderstand me. At issue is not the source of the observations, whether it be intuition, blind luck, or measured. At issue here, at least to me, is the nature of the thing being observed. Something in nature can be observed in any manner, but it will also provide data, that data can be accumulated, measured, debated, and so forth. The data is what validates or invalidates the opinion about the observation.

The hurdle is that observations of things that are not in nature cannot be accompanied by data, or at least data that can provide the validation/invalidation.

I don't think this hurdle can be overcome. Thus we are stuck discussing two different things ad nauseam. Bottom line is that if it is truly a supernatural thing, you will never reconcile with the individual who cannot see it or does not recognize it.

Date: March 27, 2017 04:52PM

Didn't you just mention 11 theoretical dimensions? That leaves a lot of room for the supernatural. In one of those dimensions, we could all be one being.

Evidence is a funny thing. If it slaps you in the face, does it still not exist? How can we know whether or not to trust our own lying eyes? Well okay, sometimes you can't. But those can be explained.

Posted by: cinda ( )
Date: March 27, 2017 01:28PM

From the OP:

"Do you realize there is absolutely no scientific support for this assertion? It is a statement of faith, not fact?"

You are asking for 'evidence' and stating that there is none?

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: March 27, 2017 03:08PM

If we go back a few centuries) many of the facts that we take for granted, would have been held up as 'proof positive' that a god, or gods, definitely existed. Thunder and Lightning, auroras, Volcanoes.

even in relatively recent times, scientists were unable to work out how the sun could 'burn' for so long, without it's fuel (thought to be oil or coal) running out.

as science advances, so the gaps, where the gods fit in, fall ever smaller.

on the other hand, as science advances, apologists have ever increasing resources for 'special pleading'
I have even seen the comment that "god totally exists in all the other dimensions that we dont see"

I dont believe in any gods
I dont buy the theory that I have to accept *anything* that cant currently be explained as proof of a god or gods
I havent studied abiogenesis enough to be able to argue the point - but that just means that hasnt interested me enough to move me............it doesnt mean I am going to start praying to Jeebus
when the OP says "Do you realize there is absolutely no scientific support for this assertion? It is a statement of faith, not fact?" I wouldn't take his word for it

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: March 27, 2017 08:19PM

I 'believe' the goal posts will move yet again when science figures out how life can begin. The new argument will be an intelligent such and such explained by a fantastical amount of fluffy human verbiage provided all the ingredients so life could start in the first place, or insert your fluffy fantastical new argument here.

That's my stab at it and I'm taking it to the bank because history has shown that the woo-woo mechanism works in exactly that manner. As much a guarantee the posts will move as the sun will rise.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.