Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: lazylizard ( )
Date: March 25, 2017 02:54PM

So, a small part of my LDS family came by - my mother, my elder brother and sister-in-law.

Long story short, big bro had to use the computer and when he opened up the server this website (exmormon.org) was posted as "most recent." He gave me an odd look when I was talking to my sister-in-law and I asked him what was wrong. He replied "Nothing," but I have a feeling it was because of this.

Nothing has been said yet, but I will keep you posted. NO ONE, and I repeat NO ONE! knows that I have left. They just assume I am inactive.

If they try to pry it from me, I might just tell them to mind their own business and that I am an adult. If you don't know already, my mother has had years of practice guilt-tripping me into confessing if I have done wrong - but I feel leaving the church the best things in my life I have done for myself.

I may just even own up to it instead of hiding. Lord knows what will happen.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dp ( )
Date: March 25, 2017 02:59PM

One way of looking at it is that he'll rat on you and you'll get hell from your relatives.

Another is that you've planted a seed.

Posted by: canary21 ( )
Date: March 25, 2017 03:06PM

Hi lazylizard, your family sounds like they are orthodox Mormon. Rather then beat the bush, if they pry and ask, just come forth clean about it. How old are you, by the way?

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: March 25, 2017 03:25PM

Keep the mystery going. Report back. Okay?

You're big bro just might check this place out and, well, who knows what might happen?

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: March 25, 2017 03:42PM

Haha I see this happening to me as well my resignation letter was half finished on the kitchen counter when my dad was fixing my sink not sure if he saw it or not I forgot it was there. I'm not quite ready for the final battle but I am getting there.

Posted by: bobofitz ( )
Date: March 26, 2017 02:35PM

Adam, why was your dad fixing your kitchen sink? If you don't know how, why weren't you there to learn how so you won't have to depend on your dad next time it " breaks"? This is more important for your independence than if your dad reads your letters or not. I hope you take my comment as constructive, not just critical. I have followed many of your posts and I know you are looking for independence. I struggled with personal issues at your age also.everything you learn now as a young adult will come in handy when others aren't around anymore.

Date: March 27, 2017 02:56PM

Well I was recovering from foot surgery and I don't have the knowledge or skills but I guess I could have figured it out, I really have no excuse you are right.

Date: March 27, 2017 08:09PM

Thanks for the civil answer Adam. I was hesitant to say anything but I like your honesty and forthrightness and figured you'd take it fairly as it was meant. So, are you in a Boot still or able to walk without one ? Best of luck in the future, especially if you go back to school. FYI, I'm nursing a shoulder separation for the last two weeks and have at least 2 more months to be back to be able to work. Gets boring, doesn't it.

Date: March 27, 2017 08:43PM

Been out of the boot for about a week now and I'm walking pretty good now I know sometimes I'm a loose cannon with my responses but I'm trying pretty hard to piece myself back together. I know how the shoulders go I had two surgeries before my foot on both and my right shoulder still hurts and it was done in December. Well I wish you luck with the shoulder.

Date: March 28, 2017 12:15AM

Thanks man.

Date: March 28, 2017 12:17AM

Thanks Adam.

Posted by: - ( )
Date: March 25, 2017 03:45PM

Print up some cards with this site's URL.

Hell, add a QR code for the more technically inclined in your family:
https://chart.googleapis.com/chart?cht=qr&chl=http%3A%2F%2Fexmormon.org%2F&chs=180x180&choe=UTF-8&chld=L|2

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: March 25, 2017 03:58PM

Just FYI, if he decided to go on-line at home and see if he could figure out what it was YOU were posting here, he can probably figure it out now.

Date: March 25, 2017 04:41PM

Does your bro know you are a lazylizard? If so he definitely knows.

Posted by: janis ( )
Date: March 25, 2017 04:56PM

Hi! LazyLizards brother. Welcome to RFM.

What do you know about the Mormon Church? Would you like to know more?

Go To:
MormonThink.com and/or CESLetter.com

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: March 25, 2017 10:25PM

Don't fret about it. That's life.

Be yourself. If your brother brings it up, don't hide it. You don't need to volunteer it either.

You're both grownups. It's a free country.

They're going to find out anyway, so maybe it was a good way to break the ice.

Posted by: TXRancher ( )
Date: March 25, 2017 11:06PM

^^ Agreed

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: March 25, 2017 11:12PM

If you dont want to come out yet, tell him you were just browsing. What you share is up to you.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 26, 2017 01:56AM

If you want to maintain anonymity, you might want to change your user name.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: March 26, 2017 10:57AM

You mean he found that the bishop wanted you to confront a doubting member and by bearing your testimony on this site many of us return to church???????????

Posted by: Elizasnowjob ( )
Date: March 26, 2017 12:31PM

Insist on a thorough search of his browsing history if he brings it up. It's none of his business if you don't want it to be. On the other hand, just letting the truth fly and letting the chips land where they may is empowering. Your choice. Always your choice.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: March 26, 2017 01:32PM

lazylizard Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I may just even own up to it instead of hiding.
> Lord knows what will happen.

He does. He designed it to be a shiz storm of retribution for non-belief.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: March 26, 2017 03:03PM

It's your business. Everybody else needs to get their big nosy noses out of your business. They would have their nerve for any kind of questioning found on your own computer.
And, Adam, I just wish my dad was still around to help with plumbing problems, etc.

Date: March 27, 2017 03:00PM

aquarius123 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's your business. Everybody else needs to get
> their big nosy noses out of your business. They
> would have their nerve for any kind of questioning
> found on your own computer.
> And, Adam, I just wish my dad was still around to
> help with plumbing problems, etc.

Plumbing is not my thing, I can do a lot of other things like alarms and in putting up fences but that's about it.

Posted by: pathfinder ( )
Date: March 27, 2017 03:47PM

This,,

And, Adam, I just wish my dad was still around to
> help with plumbing problems, etc.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: March 27, 2017 06:36PM

This might be an open door for you, but only if you want it to be.

Some words of what not to do....way back when, before I had found this site, in my excitement and anger, I wrote a letter to family members. In totality, it wasn't a terrible letter, but I have since learned that there are much better ways to let the cat out of the bag. I had a variety of reactions to the letter, one was glad I wrote it including him in my journey, some felt it was not needed, while others felt I was calling them out on their choices.

I believe not making a big deal of it, just doing your thing and living your life, and letting people come to you with their questions, when and if they have any, is a terrific approach....one I would choose if I got to do overs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2017 06:37PM by presleynfactsrock.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.