Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 25, 2017 03:09AM

Many times atheist board members ask the question, "Why would someone remain Christian who has left the Mormon church?" The feeling is that after having once examined the truth claims of Mormonism, the truth claims of Christianity are also suspect. While I understand this argument, I think it does little to advance an understanding of why some people remain Christian. In my opinion, it is approaching the question from the wrong angle.

The easiest way to put it is that mainstream Christianity can be quite a different experience than Mormonism. It would be like asking why someone might reject the Mormon temple experience but embrace traditional Masonry. Yes, there are commonalities, but it is a different experience.

Most Christians are not bible literalists (for instance I was not and my family were not as Catholics and Episcopalians.) So if you tell them that the facts do not support the great flood and Noah's ark, they might very well agree with you. In addition, Christians on the more moderate to liberal end tend to think for themselves. So they will listen to a church leader speak, and perhaps think, "Okay, I agree with this, but not that." They do not necessarily take the pronouncements of leaders as truth. They do not engage in the black and white thinking that is the bedrock of Mormonism. They feel free to sift ideas and to come to their own conclusions about things.

Also, the churches on the moderate to liberal end do not treat their members abusively. The churches do not track their members down if they miss meetings. They don't endlessly call or knock on their doors. They are not given semi-mandatory callings nor assigned times to clean the church. They are not "commanded" to give 10% of their incomes. You might ask what this has to do with chasing down the facts of Christianity, and I would respond that it makes the membership a lot more relaxed and unconcerned about the exact precision of the facts, because their feet are not held to the fire. They are looking at the experience as a whole, and focusing on uplifting things that they hear each Sunday. Christian sermons are not focused on temple, tithing, and obedience. They focus on topics like compassion, generosity, humility, etc.

It is also a longstanding tradition in Christianity to leave one denomination for another over doctrinal differences. Christians accept doctrinal differences as a legitimate reason to leave a particular church (unlike the Mormons, who tend to go with sinning, lazy, or being offended.) So you could say that people who leave Mormonism but retain Christianity do so over doctrinal differences. In effect, they never lost the religious impulse. This would be particularly true of more conservative Christians such as the fundamentalists, bible literalists, and the evangelicals.

If you think that all religion is anathema, then probably little or nothing of this will add up for you. But in my opinion people who embrace mainstream Christianity (or Judaism, Buddhism, etc.) may do so for reasons other than why they left the Mormon church. Joseph may have lied, but they can find a meaningful spiritual experience elsewhere.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2017 09:20AM by summer.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: March 25, 2017 03:13AM

Exactly

Posted by: Visitors Welcome ( )
Date: March 25, 2017 03:42AM

They have learned TSCC is the one true church. If it isn't, then another one must be true.

As an atheist in an Arab country I get this all the time. When I tell people, "there are 10,000 religions in the world, why would yours be true?" the most common answer is "but if islam is not the true faith, then which one is?!" The idea that they could all be wrong is unfathomable to them.

The famous slogan "Atheism. We go one god further" does not work from Senegal to Indonesia and from Azerbaijan to Tanzania. It appeals to western sentiments, instincts and cultural conventions.

By the same token, when we read about the gods of a polytheistic faith, our first reaction is to find out which god is bigger.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 25, 2017 09:30AM

>>They have learned TSCC is the one true church. If it isn't, then another one must be true.

Not all Christians think this way. I didn't, my family didn't, and our friends didn't.

Part of the reason was that I came from a mixed Catholic and Protestant family. My Catholic mom married a Protestant. My dad's Catholic mom married a Protestant. But we also had mixed-faith friendships in my family, as did my mom's very Catholic family. There was never in my family or in my friend's families a fear of the "other."

The Catholic church that I grew up in was starting to become more ecumenical. It was reaching out to other churches. We had exchange services with other churches. No one batted an eye that I was affiliated with a Girl Scout troop at an ELCA Lutheran church, or occasionally attended the Lutheran services or social events.

The Catholic church also has the example of the Trappist monk Thomas Merton, who was a friend of Buddhism.

Some Christians really do believe that there are many paths to God, and that none is the "correct" path -- just the right path for them.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: March 25, 2017 04:09AM

I'm an atheist. I don't believe in religion, but I respect everyone's right to choose.

I draw the line at overly controlling or potentially violent and destructive religions.

I have no problem with accepting religions which offer community and solace to those who enjoy them. I wouldn't waste a moment trying to convince anyone to accept my beliefs. I have no problem as long as they don't knock on my door or confront. I don't need to prove I'm right and they don't need to convince me. They have a right to believe in miracles or anything else if it doesn't encroach on others.

Most people need religion. I'm fine with that.

Expecting explanations and justification from religious people would make life a constant exercise in frustration and turmoil. Life is too short for that for me as I don't believe in an afterlife.

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: March 25, 2017 05:07AM

<<They have learned TSCC is the one true church. If it isn't, then another one must be true.>>

In my case I learned that there WASN'T one true church, or at least not the same one for everyone.

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: March 25, 2017 05:29AM

I find that ex-Mormons who were born into Mormonism turn atheist or non-religious but ex-Mormons who were converts revert back to the religion they were originally raised in.

My parents and I left Mormonism a few years ago. I turned atheist but my parents, who were converts as adults, are still "Christian."

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: March 25, 2017 07:05AM

There are ex-Mormons here who retained their Christianity after leaving Mormonism.

I am one of them. Sandra Tanner is another well known figure who is a devout Christian. Grant Palmer is another.

My religion is a hybrid these days, but it isn't atheism or New Age. It derives from the bible and a belief in a monotheistic God. I'm fine with that, it works for me.

As a young adult I had a personal witness to the divinity of Jesus Christ, and as an even younger adult a personal witness to a living God. Without asking for such, they were enough to convince me we aren't alone on this journey we call life (ETA: correction re my witness to there's a God in the firmament. I did pray as a young adult to ask if he existed. That was during my agnostic phase. Soon after within days and weeks, I had my answer.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2017 07:20AM by Amyjo.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: March 25, 2017 01:49PM

The retired Episcopal bishop of Utah was born a Mormon. So are two Catholic deacons I know. I really dont think any studies have been done and anecdotal evidence is rather meaningless.I could say from my experience that ex Mrmons becoms clergy in Christian religions.

Date: March 26, 2017 09:55AM

Oh very cool. :)

At a Jewish worship service in Salt Lake City my grandmother and I attended together mid-1970's, the rabbi told us after services that they had many Mormons from Utah Valley who had converted to their ranks. (So at least in SLC you may find some of the Jewish converts there were Mormon first.)

He was also the first person to tell my grandmother and me that we were both fully Jewish because her mother was. That synagogue was the same her mother had taken her to before grandma was orphaned at age 6, and sent away to be raised by Protestant aunts. It was the first time she'd been in it again, with me that day. I begged her to drive us to a Jewish service while visiting her one summer, to explore our Hebrew roots together. She chose to drive us to Salt Lake City instead of Ogden where she lived.

It was part way during the services (in Hebrew which neither she nor I understood,) that she tugged at my sleeve and whispered she remembered, as she pointed up to the stained glass windows in high walls, that she had studied them as a little girl sitting there with her mother and grandmother. :)

It was a bonding time for grandma and me. :)

Posted by: aaron ( )
Date: March 26, 2017 03:24PM

Can you ask God why he didn't answer me? You are obviously more special to him/her/it.

Date: March 26, 2017 04:03PM

aaron Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Can you ask God why he didn't answer me? You are
> obviously more special to him/her/it.

Hmm, I have no idea. It would be presumptive of me to ask. No one knows the mind of God. That's something we're told in scripture. And I believe it.

I know the times I've prayed I humble myself beforehand. My prayers tend to be simple & straight forward.

One thing I haven't done is to mock God. If Mormonism taught me anything it is to have reverence for the Creator. I didn't discard all my teachings upon leaving Mormonism. I kept my faith.

I had to lose it first, to find it. That was in answer to my prayer @ age 19 when I was agnostic. My faith was as tiny as the seed of mustard I was taught in the Jesus' parable as a child. Maybe not even that big.

From that moment forward I grew into my faith. It was faith building experiences that helped it grow. I didn't ask for them, but I was given some.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2017 04:52PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: aaron ( )
Date: March 26, 2017 05:10PM

Maybe because god is dick- or only exists in your head.

Date: March 26, 2017 05:45PM

Suit yourself.

I civilly replied to your post.

Who's the dick? With an attitude like yours, maybe you just tuned God out.

Don't ask me again, because you aren't deserving of a reply.

Posted by: The Apostle Paul ( )
Date: March 25, 2017 06:38AM

Because every knee shall bow, and every tongue confess, that Jesus is the Christ. Rom 14:11.

That's why.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: March 25, 2017 10:23AM

Every knee shall bow, and every tongue confess, that Santa Clause is coming for Christmas.

If you believe in a personal God, God is there for you. It becomes baked into who you are. When all the doctrine collapses, there's still something "beyond" that you can't explain. You know there's no actual Santa, but you probably celebrate Christmas.

Mormonism is all about the doctrine. Some other churches are all about the people. That's the difference.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: March 25, 2017 10:52AM

I've also retained my belief in Christianity,as well as my husband. And like Amyjo, my family has had experiences with having a personal witness of the divinity of Jesus Christ. We didn't ask, they just happened, and most of these happened right after we left the church. I don't have the answer as to why some people have experiences and others haven't, One thing I know for certain, is that it's good to communicate and share opinions and ideas with each other.

Posted by: glad2see (nli) ( )
Date: March 26, 2017 08:28AM

Also had personal witness that Jesus is real, which led to seeing the falseness in Mormon scriptures, teachings, doctrines and ordinances.

Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: March 26, 2017 01:47AM

I was a convert from Protestant Christianity. I was 16 and trying to finish growing up in tough, mean circumstances. I was looking for a church that I hoped would be more spiritual and less hypocritical (my mother had dragged me to a very snotty church). I had had a spiritual experience with Jesus already, but I needed to find a church where I fit better, and where people acted more like real Christians. When I came upon Mormonism, I wanted to take plenty of time to decide on that or another church; I wanted to explore for a while. But you know how Mormons are! They just have to get their brownie points. Having come from a cold and cruel background, I was quickly taken in with the love bombing. I thought they really meant it, that they really wanted to be family. I still might have held back from joining had it not been for other clever manipulations. So I was baptized, the missionaries and the BP got a number, and the love bombing members scored their brownie points with the Mormon God. And I learned that love bombing is not for real.

The Mormon God is a cruel God. The Jesus I had known before let you decide for yourself which church you felt the most comfortable with. The Mormon God says you have to go to this ONE TRUE CHURCH or else. I stayed out of fear of what happens to apostates. For endless years I tried to make the church work, but I was the square peg trying to push into that round, round hole.

The internet age saved me, but not at first. I was afraid to look at the information! When I finally did, I was out. Then I had a spritual experience with Jesus again, where I was informed that it is more important to follow Him (as the New Testament teaches) than to worry about which church. Now I go to a church where I'm comfortable, but I will not join for now. I won't let anyone rush me, and nobody is trying to.

It seems to come natural to me to be a Christian. Mormonism never felt very natural, especially the temple part. If I had been born and raised Mormon, I may very likely have become Atheist after leaving it. I probably would have believed that all Christianity is pretty much the same and also might have demanded empirical proof before trusting anything again. I'm glad that LDS is only a small, narrow sect, so that most people aren't damaged by it before they get to know God outside of it.

Posted by: dirtbikr ( )
Date: March 26, 2017 09:05AM

For me when I came the conclusion that God doesn't prayers it was pretty much over, yeah Jesus seems like a pretty cool guy but it's all hearsay what he did. Remember in those days people were pretty gullible, people told stories, sheet got added to embellish it's meaning and now in this age we are supposed to believe it. if there is a just God he will understand what we are going through, if he's not a just God then I will go to hell with my friends, for they are all I know and care about, why do people stay Christian? Hell if I know, I think they much have a inner weakness that they need a crutch to help them through life. Now I feel I have two strong legs to stand on and a clear mind to see over the clouds, my wife and family and nature are my gods now, amen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2017 09:13AM by dirtbikr.

Posted by: Mannaz ( )
Date: March 26, 2017 09:46AM

I think we all need a 'tribe', an association with a community of others who are people of 'good will'. We are fundamentally social beings. Likewise the ritualistic aspects, in part, also facilitate this. And perhaps many who leave and identify as Christian are deep down more 'followers' of Christs teachings than anything else. I live in the southeast and Christian congregations are pretty much what is there to find communities of good folk to associate with to some extent. I myself now find myself considering this option, a church community that is about service and kindness to associate with and hopefully find more opportunities for community service and some friendships. So far I have found one that has potential-a very progressive Prespreterian congregation. I am OK with going so far as saying I am a 'follower' of Christ's teachings but I am not a 'believer' by any stretch. So perhaps my own desire to find a community of like minded folk and my hope to build some lasting friendships might be an explanation of why some exMos do not completely leave
Christianity. We all need a tribe. Plus I think if DW could see 'someplace else to go' she might be consider leaving the cult.

Just my perspective on the matter as I also have wondered about the same thing. It has also taken me two years to even consider stepping into a church building again.

Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: March 26, 2017 10:08AM

In an attempt to answer your question I would have to say that they stay christian out of fear. Someone who has been indoctrinated for their entire life in a particular belief can't just turn it off like it was never there. At least that was true for me. Over time I learned myself to believe that gawd didn't exist and hence no reason to believe in him anymore.

Posted by: An Exmo ( )
Date: March 26, 2017 01:06PM

Remember the New Order Mormons? Well I am a New Order Christian and Exmo. I used to be an Agnostic but then as I thought about the local political correctness matters on where I live I decided that I want my life to be blessed, not inflicted with social stigma. Thus I praise Jesus and tell people I am Christian when they ask. I would prefer our society had a "don't ask don't tell" philosophy on this question but many like to ask so I am prepared.

I even have a small cheap kJV Bible in my living room bookcase to "prove it". I can still very quickly open up to John 3:16 and John 14:6 after I have quoted them verbatim thanks to the numerous times I did Missionary Discussion 1 when I was TBM. I would get a newer Bible translation as that is more normal now. But due to the fact I can only quote KJV language verbatim that would require me to do too much studying so I stick with KJV. And I never wear it on my sleeve or wear any lower case letter "t" in jewelry or clothing as is popular for many Christians to do.

Oh, and I do try to not overdose on Church. Going more than a half dozen times annually for any service or staying longer than 90 minutes would be too much for me. And there are other things I can do to maintain privacy and respect for my boundaries. It is much easier being "New Order Christian" than "New Order Mormon".

One of my favorite verses in the Bible is the commandment about not bearing false witness. This is important regarding any reading, discussion, or interpretation of any book/chapter/verse therein. Understanding the full historical context in real honesty is important. Scientists can really be helpful on this as many disciplines touch upon them. There are some Christians who don't believe in interpreting every verse honestly. But I do so I guess that makes me an honest Christian :)

So what if someone says the following. A particular Bible verse is wrong. the Bible is the infallible word of God. And God is perfect. Well it sounds like someone got things mixed up, doesn't it?

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 26, 2017 04:22PM

I just love these out-of-the-frying-pan-into-the-fire threads.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: March 26, 2017 04:33PM

I do ask that question a lot, summer. A few things that you said really stood out for me in helping to answer that question. As always, your words are amazing.

One thing which stood out for me is that, yes, Mormonism is so truth-based. When you are constantly told that the Church is true, no matter what, then when you leave Mormonism for another religion, there definitely would be a tendency to ask yourself, "So is this one true then?"

But if one could get away from needing everything to be literally true, then I can see how they could find a comfortable home in another religion. I guess for some of us who do leave our religious beliefs behind entirely, truth remains important to us.

It's when we do examine mainstream Christianity under the same microscope as Mormonism, that we find it impossible to remain in any kind of religious setting.

As usual, I really enjoyed your post.

Posted by: isthisnameok? ( )
Date: March 26, 2017 05:27PM

I say apply the same level of septicemic you have of Mormonism to any religion. I suspect most stay in due to familiarity and community.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.