Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 01:29PM

My uber-TBM sister always goes into Starbucks and orders "steamers," often having to tell the personnel what they are (steamed milk with flavoured syrup). I don't recall ever seeing or hearing of this outside Utah. Is a "steamer" a regular thing with Starbucks, or just a Utah thing to allow Mormons a feeling of normalcy? Or am I just more unfamiliar with Starbucks than I thought I was?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 01:44PM

Ugh, I always thought a steamer was what a dog or cow dropped on a cold day.....

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 01:54PM

My assessment as well.

Appropriate analogy btw.

Posted by: nomonomo ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 01:57PM

I think Starbuck$ will sell anything to anyone at any time. I don't really like coffee, but my wife and girls do, at least the sweetened up kind of stuff you can get there, plus all the cakes and scones. So, if we go in, I'll order hot chocolate, or grab a juice or something. I also like their sausage sandwich things.

Posted by: pugsly ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 01:57PM

You can get them in Kentucky but you have to tell the workers what they are. Our local mom & pop coffee shop have them on the menu.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 02:07PM

I'm sure they do, but it's not something I notice as I'm there to get a coffee drink or iced tea. Other times, I'm there to buy those espresso pods for that Verissimo machine my brother got me a couple of years ago for my birthday.

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 02:12PM

Steamers are unique to Utah Starbucks, I just asked here at the counter in Solana Beach.

One would expect they are a pathway drug to English Tea with a spot of milk and honey.

Posted by: nomonomo ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 02:34PM

hehehe

Before you know it, they're mainlining black coffee! Horrors!

Posted by: carameldreams ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 03:02PM

Hedning Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Steamers are unique to Utah Starbucks, I just
> asked here at the counter in Solana Beach.

No they are not.

Posted by: SF ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 11:46PM

I am not sure about Starbucks, never really liked their coffee, but the coffee houses in California that I used to go to all had Steamers on the menu for all to see.

I used to get them when we went out for coffee after a movie.

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 02:33PM

when I was in Argentina that was the common way for a sidewalk cafe to make hot chocolate. Really really good.

Posted by: canary21 ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 02:34PM

Yes. I get steamers all the time. I just got one today.

Posted by: oxymormon ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 02:39PM

As a former Starbucks Barista, I can confirm that Steamers are not a menu item.
However, people did order them; for their kids, mostly. And yes, you'd have to describe what exactly you want. (you'd be amazed at the disgusting recipes people create for themselves!)

ETA: This was in CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2017 02:40PM by oxymormon.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 02:53PM

Why wouldn't they??

They do in New York.

It caters more to children whose parents don't allow them to have coffee before they mature - but anyone can order one.

Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 03:27PM

or anywhere on LI. To be honest I've never seen these in the many other Starbucks across the country. Doesn't mean they don't exist but my guess is they are fairly rare.

Lattes or steamed milk with tea or coffee are common.

notmonotloggedin

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 03:32PM

I've overheard people ordering steamers, but didn't pay much attention to it before seeing this thread today.

We didn't frequent Starbucks when my children were young. I know from my doctor's not to give children caffeine before their neurological systems mature. Even as an ex-Mo my children didn't drink caffeinated beverages before they went off to college.

Posted by: westernwillows ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 03:32PM

Although I can't vouch for Starbucks (my town doesn't have a Starbucks, and actually I can't confirm if Billings or Great Falls does either as I've never gone looking for one).

Saturday morning coffee is a tradition around here. That's where you get your weekly gossip =) Our three local coffee houses are packed, and all three have steamers on the menu. It's a common thing for parents to order for their children. I don't know any non-TBM adults who drink them on a regular basis.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 03:45PM

What you didn't know about coffee:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaQNy0Ef4YY

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 10:29PM

I thought a "steamer" is some kinky sex thing.

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 11:08PM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I thought a "steamer" is some kinky sex thing.

I thought it was a hygiene practice recommended by Gwyneth Paltrow.

Posted by: UTtransplant ( )
Date: March 25, 2017 12:03AM

My daughter got Starbuck's steamers when she was a young teenager in Iowa and didn't need the caffeine. They are not unique to a Utah. If a Starbuck's employee doesn't know what they are, that is the fault of their training. I have heard people ordering steamers in multiple states, generally by young folks.

Posted by: Hamster on a Wheel ( )
Date: March 25, 2017 03:35AM

I'm sure these are branded as baby(cappac)cino (babycino) at my local Starbucks drive thrus in England.

Posted by: aaron ( )
Date: March 25, 2017 12:18PM

Sounds like they are mostly for children, so I can see it being a popular item among the infant mormon adults in Utah.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: March 25, 2017 12:19PM

Yeah, we get them in Toronto. My TBM friend loves them. They don't put them on the menu anymore, but if you ask for one, you can still get one.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: March 25, 2017 05:27PM

Never heard of them. Course, here in Tennessee people put coffee in their babies' bottles.

Posted by: janis ( )
Date: March 25, 2017 10:58PM

Live in western Washington and they've had the steamed milk and steamed apple juice at the local Starbucks for at least the last 15 years.

Posted by: June ( )
Date: March 26, 2017 11:43AM

I live in a coffee loving part of the country with coffee shops on every corner. Steamers are definitely a thing. My daughters and their friends (not Mormon) get them all the time. I imagine they aren't a popular item but I know these kids who are too young for coffee feel really cool with their steamers. But I don't know aboyo Starbucks, I usually go to the small coffee shops.

Posted by: Watchmen ( )
Date: March 26, 2017 07:42PM

My wife doesn't like coffee so she always orders steamers. The workers always know what they are and we are not in Utah. It's definitely not a Utah thing.

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: March 26, 2017 07:49PM

Order a latte and ask them to hold the espresso.

I'm pretty sure my wife doesn't know what a "steamer" is. I think I'll ask her for one...maybe I'll get lucky...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2017 07:50PM by getbusylivin.

Posted by: quatermass2 ( )
Date: March 27, 2017 05:49PM

In Cleveland, do people ever go into Starbucks and say "I'd like a Cleveland Steamer, please" :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2017 05:49PM by quatermass2.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.