Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: hawk ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 12:46AM

I'm getting rather tired of a few people on the board and I'd rather not see their posts and replies if I can help it. Is there a way to "hide" them from myself?

Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 01:00AM

To the best of my knowledge, the answer is "No."

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 01:06AM

It would be nice to block trolls or people who constantly refuse to abide by board rules. Other than that is would be open to abuse I think. There are posters I am sick of but blocking them just because I dont like them is problematic. Do I want to be blocked because some posters dont like me? No and I doubt anyone else would either. .

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 10:30PM

bona dea Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It would be nice to block trolls or people who
> constantly refuse to abide by board rules. Other
> than that is would be open to abuse I think. There
> are posters I am sick of but blocking them just
> because I dont like them is problematic. Do I want
> to be blocked because some posters dont like me?
> No and I doubt anyone else would either. .

If things worked the way I presume that Hawk meant, the posts of any person you choose to block would be unseen by you and your posts would be unseen by the person, much like the way it happens on Facebook. Users who didn't block the person would still see the person's posts. I would have no problem whatsoever with anyone who disliked me not seeing my posts. I would be bothered at having no access to the board as a whole, but it doesn't help me in any way to have individuals who are annoyed by me reading my posts.

It doesn't really matter since Eric says it can't presently be done, anyway.

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 01:07AM

It is easy to circumvent a block. I wished there were a way. We have an individual currently who is mentally unhealthy and wishes to destroy our board. Many sites have fought this problem and gave up. We will add an admin or two shortly to help.

Date: March 24, 2017 01:14AM

Thanks for the replies.

@bona dea I honestly wouldn't mind if I were hidden from someone else if they were sick of me. I'd rather "unfollow" someone's posts than get upset or angry with them picking fights with people or just displaying the same passive aggressive BS that always bothered me in the cult. It's exhausting, and not what I come to this board for.

Date: March 24, 2017 01:17AM

An ignore button would be nice. I imagine all of us have posters we are tired of but who dont deserve to be kicked off the board as a whole.I have unfollowed a number of people on FB and it is so nice not to read their crap.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2017 01:18AM by bona dea.

Date: March 24, 2017 01:19AM

Sorry, that's what I meant? All I want to do is not see their posts, not kick them off the board.

Apologies if I was unclear.

Date: March 24, 2017 01:23AM

Okay, I took it to mean banning.I see that as a last resort,but there are posters I would unfollow if possible. Not many, but there are a couple.

Posted by: seamaiden ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 01:14AM

What did I do now?

Kidding, but seriously. If I post something I'll remove it if you ask... I have no buffer, I geget that! Blocking people on a board like this which was created to help people transition isn't the best idea, anyone on here, like them or not, could post something very beneficial to you while you are making this journey

Date: March 24, 2017 01:16AM

It's only a couple of posters who repeatedly display what I consider to be immature and close-minded behavior. I honestly don't think I could benefit from those individuals at this point in my recovery.

Posted by: seamaiden ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 01:18AM

Trolls are different! I get that, but I think it depends on someones personality. I can live with it cause I, again, have no buffer. I will get it right back! I just want to let everyone know if I go over a line to let me know.

Date: March 24, 2017 01:20AM

Yeah, the ones who drive me up the wall may not bother others at all.

Date: March 24, 2017 01:20AM

Yeah, it's just a personal thing for me. I don't mean to send them away from the board itself. I just don't want to see them personally.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 09:23AM

If there's a poster I don't want to "see" when here, I skip over their posts.

Likewise if a thread is something that doesn't interest me I don't read it. Who has time to read all the threads and posts here anyway?

I certainly don't.

That helps me to weed out what I choose to see and read or not see/read.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 01:11PM

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 06:53PM

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 02:01AM

You can block me I think a good portion of my posts get deleted anyways cause I actually try to vent instead of debate like I'm on a game show and I cuss, trying to debate with a ton of long educated responses doesn't help me I got enough of that crap in the church I'm over it.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 05:30AM

If I could block someone out for a few months it would be myself. I can imagine how it would feel to reconnect down the line.

Date: March 24, 2017 05:52AM

Haha I know what you mean I'd block myself as well atleast for a while.

Posted by: ALifeExamined ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 07:38AM

One feature I do like about this board is that the number of edits to a post is clearly displayed. There are some posters on this board who routinely make numerous edits as replies to the original post reveal inadequacies in that original posting.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 08:06AM

For me the edits are usually due to spelling or grammar errors. Even then, I don't always catch them all. Sometimes I want to add some additional thoughts.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 08:09AM

The edit feature is good for only the first 24 hours. If you want to make a correction, get it in quick or the option will be lost.

Facebook is my personal sanctuary for choosing who I keep for friends. There is no such option here.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 11:11AM

My edits are always for embarrassing spelling and awkward use of grammar. Even after proof reading, I still need to go back to add/delete words.

Missing Persons "Words"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IasCZL072fQ

No, I never denied that I enjoyed watching MTV at non members homes because they never asked in those pesky youth interviews.

Posted by: Gentle Gentile ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 05:18PM

messygoop Wrote:
> My edits are always for embarrassing spelling and
> awkward use of grammar. Even after proof reading,
> I still need to go back to add/delete words.
>

If I log in -- but I never do -- this is why I'd need to edit.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 01:08PM

Ya. It is very easy. You skip over the posts you don't want to read. Look at the posting names. If they show up in a post you are reading, skip over it. Not hard.
It would take hours and hours to read every single post on every single thread every single day. We all skip over some that do not interest at the moment.

Secondly, take your power back and own it. Never give someone permission to disrupt your day, emotionally or otherwise, especially anonymous posters. Refuse to give anyone the power to get you angry or take offense. Nobody can "make" you angry without your permission!

It is impossible to offend me. Why? Because nobody has the power to do that.

Take control of your life!

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 02:03PM

The only posters I think that should be blocked are actual trolls, since they're only here to disrupt the board. Other than that, it's just easy to either skim over a certain post, or not to click on a thread started by someone.

Date: March 24, 2017 04:43PM

Again there is a difference between kicking posters off the board and having an individual unfollow or block option such as Facebook has.I probably wouldnt use it much, but the option would be nice for some. I agree that only trolls, and I would add posters who wont follow rules or cant get along with anyone, should be banned. I can think of one past poster who met that description and the board is much calmer without him .

Date: March 24, 2017 10:44PM

bona dea Wrote:
> Again there is a difference between kicking
> posters off the board and having an individual
> unfollow or block option such as Facebook has.I
> probably wouldnt use it much, but the option would
> be nice for some. I agree that only trolls, and I
> would add posters who wont follow rules or cant
> get along with anyone, should be banned. I can
> think of one past poster who met that description
> and the board is much calmer without him .

We don't need to divulge the identity, but 10-1 I could guess his initials and hence his screen name.

Date: March 24, 2017 10:48PM

Probably, but at least I have deniability and hopefully wont get blocked.

Date: March 24, 2017 11:00PM

bona dea Wrote:
> Probably, but at least I have deniability and
> hopefully wont get blocked.

The operative word is INITIALS.

;)

Date: March 25, 2017 01:53AM

You obviously guessed it right. lol

Date: March 25, 2017 04:18AM

bona dea Wrote:
> You obviously guessed it right. lol

I've had experience with him, too. ;)

Date: March 24, 2017 04:49PM

I would block the parody posters in a heartbeat I know everybody else loves them but they drive me crazy.

Posted by: V2You ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 05:12PM

Why not just ban ificouldhietokolob and be done with it?

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 05:48PM

If you don't like them, don't open their posts and don't read their posts.

Posted by: cinda ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 09:27PM

Lethbridge Reprobate Wrote:
> If you don't like them, don't open their posts and
> don't read their posts.

Exactly!

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 06:03PM

The ones whoo drive eme up a wal are the slloppy spellars.

Posted by: - ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 06:15PM

Stop worrying so much. Most people on this planet probably would annoy you, and you would probably annoy most of them too.

It builds character to see/read/hear things you don't think should exist but do, and always will.

Posted by: Tall Man, Short Hair ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 06:24PM

Is this a cry for a "safe space," or am I just being cynical?

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 06:36PM

One thing this message board does not do is coddle you. There are many features that are standard on message boards, like the ability to block posters, privately message other users , post images, etc., that are either turned off or just plain not available. It used to bother me, but it gives the board a stripped-down feel and it is probably much easier to administer that way.

Plus the less features it has makes it more user-friendly to people.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2017 10:41PM by midwestanon.

Date: March 24, 2017 10:46PM

Delete

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2017 10:46PM by midwestanon.

Posted by: deja vue ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 08:50PM

Really folks? This isn't and should not be an issue. No one forces anyone to read posts from people they do not like or posts that they know are going to upset them. It's called self discipline. You don't like it? Don't persist in putting it on your plate. Not a hard thing to do. Just skip over and/or ignore that person and their posts. I do it all the time. I check in the upper right hand corner and if it's a person who has proven themselves to me to be up in the night (according to my persuasions) I just move on.

Date: March 24, 2017 09:03PM

There is nothing wrong with wishing we had it. For me it isnt so much not opening threads that dont interest me or by posters I dont like.That is easy. My problem is people responding to my posts in a rude way,esp when they were not part of the conversation until they decided to be insulting. That is harder to ignore. I have seen it happening to other posters too. An example: a few days ago a poster asked for restaurant recommendations and I made a comment about the downside of of one recommendation and was attacked by one poster who just wouldnt let it go and totally misrepresented what I had said. I found it hard to ignore, although I probably should have done so. If that happened on FB I would have blocked the person and been done with it.BTW, IF THAT POSTER WANTS TO COMMENT, I AM NOT RESPONDING.

I am not demanding it and probably wouldnt use it much. I simply think it would be a good idea.No one would have to use it. Of course it is up to Erik and there may be good reasons why he doesnt want to do it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2017 09:10PM by bona dea.

Posted by: - ( )
Date: March 25, 2017 11:22AM

So we need you to invite us before we have your permission to make a comment? Not sure you get the point of a forum, or what the word "attack" means.

Posted by: Kristy ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 09:14PM

The OP doesn't want certain posters ex'ed, but rather only disfellowshiped. I get it. The OP reminds me of my bishop.

Date: March 24, 2017 09:16PM

No, he just doesnt want to read their posts.

Date: March 24, 2017 10:14PM

I'd block people who constantly write novellas.

Date: March 24, 2017 10:19PM

I think I know who you're talking about I feel like I've read some books on here.

Date: March 24, 2017 10:26PM

Indeed.....just from my RFM feed....everyone else is free to read them.

Date: March 24, 2017 10:47PM

I get that, but it's even easier in that case: just don't click on the thread. It's not like you'll get caught off guard if you decide to skip over certain threads.

As for overlong posts in threads, that's another story, but I don't usually see that sort of thing. Usually the longest post in the thread is the original post, but there are obviously exceptions.

Date: March 24, 2017 11:55PM

It does happen within threads and is a pain to scroll past it every time to get to the other posts.

Date: March 24, 2017 11:59PM

Exactly. Someone comments on a thread and a poster who doesnt like him jumps in with a nasty remark and diverts the thread. People who make a habit of that are the ones I would put on ignore. I have a couple of those.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2017 02:23AM by bona dea.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: March 25, 2017 01:58AM

Spend a couple of decades married to a really difficult person. Then dumb posts won't bother you as much.

Posted by: Tall Man, Short Hair ( )
Date: March 25, 2017 02:23AM

Ouch. I hope this isn't your story. My condolences if it is.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: March 25, 2017 12:30PM

Tall Man, Short Hair Wrote:
> Ouch. I hope this isn't your story. My condolences
> if it is.

From me, too.

Posted by: Cpete ( )
Date: March 25, 2017 02:18AM

You could censor yourself and not read the post. It is possible to be responsible for oneself. https://youtu.be/sXQkXXBqj_U

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: March 25, 2017 11:39AM

Bazinga! Owning your choices. What a novel concept.

Order only what you want from the menu. I don't like beef, so I don't even peruse the list of steaks. It's not rocket science.

Posted by: rt ( )
Date: March 25, 2017 11:54AM

There is a dangerous downside to blocking people who annoy you. Italian researchers who have studied the likes and comments of 376 million Facebook users over a five-year period found that over time, people will only interact with like-minded people, and will only read things that confirm their world-view. Over time, they will not even see different views anymore.

Confirmation bias is a human trait but if people are not even aware of other views and opinions, society becomes extremely polarized.

Blocking is nothing but censureship. People are different, behave differently and have different opinions. Deal with it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2017 11:55AM by rt.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: March 25, 2017 11:59AM

Much like during Civil War times.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.