Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: March 23, 2017 10:15PM

I've heard about people witnessing miracles.

Has anyone here done one?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cold-Dodger ( )
Date: March 23, 2017 10:52PM

his torn ligaments would be healed when he went to go see the doctor next time. I don't think anything happened. I was transferred away before I got to see what happened though. For years I was afraid to find out what happened. Immediately afterwards, I just felt stupid... like I had no right to invoke heaven in that way. Then there was this other part of me that believed in the BofM when it said that God would do miracles...

Posted by: spiritist ( )
Date: March 23, 2017 10:54PM

If you mean by miracle something not explainable by science I have had 'numerous' experiences that happened to me personally.

I have 'known' test questions/total test and (other minor things during my career before validating) before tests ---- this came in handy one time in college,

I have seen visions (dreams while awake) and been told by an unseen person (spirit guide) warning me of dangers that I verified were valid.

I have participated in 'guided meditations' where I have seen past lives where I was able to see glimpses when I was a child and adult and noticed what roles people in this incarnation had then ----- it made my TBM wife mad when I told her she was my 'mother' and married to my son in one incarnation and I actually was married to a grand daughter. This 'role reversal' is fairly common among people who have had multiple experiences.

I received in my mind the 'correct random number between 1-100' when winning a 'free 3 day class' ----- apparently someone felt I needed this training and it has been somewhat useful in my life.

I believe I was able to heal myself quickly in some instances through 'energy healing' but too hard to really be very certain of that.

I have had a lot more but the above include some of the major things ----- had a lot of minor things and do record them but many are not as 'clearly unexplainable' as others.

Date: March 24, 2017 12:16AM

How about doing a miracle?

Have you ever done one?

Just like you intentionally made a miracle – like You said hey I'm gonna make this flock of pigeons turn into buckets of fried chicken for the homeless people on the corner?

You know, where are you intentionally set out to perform a specific thing. And it worked

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2017 12:17AM by thingsithink.

Posted by: spiritist ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 10:23AM

No, I can't generally control when I get 'supernatural' events in my life or 'perform miracles'.

I do try to get 'unknown information' when I practice 'remote viewing' and also try to heal myself using energy. I don't get consistently high (normally above average but not way above average consistently) results RVing but do feel good about the energy healing but have no 'miraculous experiences' on major things just minor things 'seem' to heal faster.

I use to have a lot of success calling 'news stories' but after 'seeing' so much loss of life/etc. and not being able to really help avoid any losses, I soon became uninterested and gave that experimenting up.

Posted by: janis ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 12:26AM

I extricated myself from the mormon church. That is a miracle.

Date: March 24, 2017 12:53AM

i believe

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 02:43PM

Posted by: seamaiden ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 12:29AM

My daughter had a plant that was dying, and I healed it! Brought it back from the brink of death. However when I gave it back to her she started over watering it again and it croaked.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 12:48AM

Saved me a trip to the chiropractor.

Date: March 24, 2017 10:36AM

Hehe. You found the one true part of the church--

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 05:51AM

Yeah, me. I didn't mean to. In fact, I told everyone it was the doctor who did it, but since I gave the blessing, everyone in the stake said I had performed a miracle.

I home taught a woman who was paralyzed on one side due to a drug-induced stroke. She was a strange lady to home teach. She lived in public housing and had a live-in boyfriend. Her house was packed with glitzy furniture, and she had a 6-foot high stereo system that could send the neighbors running. But she couldn't pay her rent and utilities, and the bishop kept throwing funds at her.

She was diagnosed with diabetic neuropathy in one of her feet, and the doctor planned to amputate a part of her foot and four of her toes. I came to the hospital in Annapolis and gave her a blessing with the usual words "to guide the hands of the surgeon" and other such bullshit.

When she came out of anesthesia, her foot was fully intact and not even wrapped up. The surgeon got her all prepped and decided the problem COULD be an arterial problem in the thigh. So they did an ultrasound scan and found a blocked artery. They went in and somehow cleaned the artery, and her foot pinked up, and she was fine. Next I knew, she was at the pulpit crying and saying how I healed her.

It was a miracle. Like jeebus himself, I healed a crippled person.

Posted by: oneinbillions ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 06:06AM

Thanks for the good laugh!

P.S. "Miracles" don't exist.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 09:39AM

Merriam Webster defines a miracle as one of two things:

Definition of miracle. 1 : an extraordinary event manifesting divine intervention in human affairs the healing miracles described in the Gospels. 2 : an extremely outstanding or unusual event, thing, or accomplishment The bridge is a miracle of engineering.

To perform a "miracle" other than what is meant by definition #2, is outside of our realm or power to cause & effect.

By its very definition it is something that's beyond human understanding, and attributed to divine intervention (see above.)

If someone creates a beautiful or important work of art, music, engineering structure, etc., that is seen by some as a miracle ie, of the act of creating something from nothing.

The great masterpieces are in this realm, and so are some scientific achievements.

On a personal scale, anyone who's experienced the birth of a child knows that's a miracle in and of itself. It's part of the marvel and mystery of life that we seed and reseed ourselves on the planet.

Date: March 24, 2017 10:38PM

Have you ever did a miracle AmyJo?

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 10:10AM

I found a woman who'd marry me!

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 10:20AM

Lethbridge Reprobate Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I found a woman who'd marry me!

If there are 'miracles,' you and I share that one :)

How's she doing, Ron? How are YOU doing?

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 10:34PM

Thanks for asking. She's doing OK. Her chemo meds and 5 radiation treatments have her breathing easier (she's on 2L of oxygen as compared to 4-5L a month ago). We'll know more when she gets a CT scan in a month. She could use a miracle too. She's a fighter and won't allow her medical team to tell her how long they think she has left.
I remain positive but find that my mind sometimes drifts into dark places when I'm trying to fall asleep...funeral planning, writing a eulogy, etc. But I'm in this for a marathon, not a sprint.

Ron

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2017 10:36PM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 10:59AM

I manage to pay my bills every month.

It's a miracle.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 11:16AM

I made a blind man lame.

Posted by: scaredhusband ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 11:22AM

I thought at the time it was a miracle. Now it is just something that I can't explain. Which is what it should be. Just because I have no explanation for an occurrence doesn't mean I automatically get to equate it to miracle status.

Me and some friends blessed a lady that had fallen and knocked her head and was bleeding out the ears. The Doctors ran the scans they found no problems and she mended right up and was out by the morning.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 02:37PM

Years ago I said, out loud mind you, that the cult of Mormonism was going down due to the Internet. Now many others made this pronouncement also, and where ever you are, know that all of us caused a true-blue mesmerizing miracle because low and behold the cult is loosing members right and left.

Send in your 15% right away, thank you very much.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2017 02:38PM by presleynfactsrock.

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 02:43PM

Probably an appropriate time to link to Tim Minchin's "Thank you, God".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZeWPScnolo

Date: March 24, 2017 11:00PM

Thank you so much -------

Posted by: elfling_notloggedin ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 10:42PM

Yes, I got a Ph.D. - parting the Red Sea is nothing to finishing the d***ed dissertation.

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 10:54PM

I resent the idea of miracles.

Life is a challenge to do even half-ass well, let alone well. Trying to keep a roof over our heads and bread on the table. Keeping the kids safe and somewhat sane and at least partially educated. Bringing in the clothes from the line before the rain starts, finishing my homework, keeping the stink from the litter boxes "down to a dull roar," as Mom used to say.

Then somehow being able to force a smile and a "¡Buenos días!" when I run into my brother-in-law at the panaderia even though he owes me a few bucks but, hell, I know he's still struggling and besides he's a good dad and a nice guy.

We walk our banal solitary paths through this life and it's a lot--a lot--to expect us to keep on truckin', IMO. But somehow we do.

That's enough. Expecting anybody to pop for a miracle doesn't seem right. Somebody claims they can perform miracles, well then, bro, walk a mile in my moccasins and then tell me how well your next miracle's coming along.

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 11:02PM

I've assisted in successful heart/lung transplants. Do they count as miracles?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.