Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: March 23, 2017 10:06PM

There is only one race...the Human Race.

http://scienceline.ucsb.edu/getkey.php?key=1138

"To begin, it is a fact that people categorize others on the basis of their physical appearance, ethnicity, ancestry, social relations, and the interaction of all of these which we call race. However, race is not a defined term in biology and cannot solely be explained by different groups having different genes. Indeed there is much more genetic variation within any given population of humans than all the variation between human populations. Therefore, genetically, it is the case that humans share much more in common than they diverge. This is why we are all a part of the same species: Homo sapiens. Our perception of people as belonging to different races may then be a product of human psychology rather than biological reality.

But your question still needs to be answered, how do we explain the observed, or phenotypic, differences between different groups of humans? Evolution by natural selection is one means. When modern humans left Africa some 100,000 to 50,000 years ago, they migrated quickly all over the world to climates very much different than where they evolved. In these new conditions, different traits were better suited for survival and reproduction in different areas. For instance near the equator where we evolved, it was beneficial to have darker skin to resist the intense sunlight. However as people migrated to extreme northern latitudes, those with lighter skin (due to random genetic variation) were better able to survive as they could absorb more sunlight needed to synthesize important vitamins.

Lighter skin phenotypes therefore spread in these regions. Another example: people in Eurasia domesticated herd animals like cows and sheep, and eventually evolved the ability to digest milk beyond infancy, whereas people in other regions are lactose intolerant for life.

So over time natural selection has changed the traits of different groups of humans based on their local environment. It is important to note however that not many traits have been selected for, and humans in fact demonstrate shockingly low genetic diversity compared to other primates. All humans share more genes in common than any two groups of chimpanzees for instance.

In brief, I would answer your question by saying that populations of humans have evolved traits that make them suited to their environment, but we have not evolved into different races or even different sub-species. Rather each human is a different expression of the same set of genes, with some expressions more common based on geographical location."

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2015/04/how-europeans-evolved-white-skin

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/how-europeans-evolved-to-have-white-skin-starting-from-around-8000-years-ago-10160120.html

"Europeans have not always been light skinned, and Caucasians are in fact a fairly new development on the continent, relatively speaking.

According to a new study reported in Science Magazine, it has been found that Caucasions are the product of “a patchwork of evolution in different places” across Europe, while scientist have discovered three genes that produce light skin – both of which have played a part in the lightening of Europeans’ skin colour over the past 8,000 years.

Since researchers began to sequence the genome of ancient populations last year, it has been discovered that Europeans today are the product of hunter gatherers and farmers of at least three ancient populations having mixed together during their migration to the continent over the past 8,000 years.

By comparing key parts of DNA across the genomes of 83 ancient humans from European archaeological sites with recent ones from the 1000 Genomes Project, Iain Matheison of Harvard University’s lab of population, and geneticist David Reich, discovered the genes linked to skin pigmentation that had survived the natural selection process across Europe.

When modern humans first travelled from Africa to the continent around 40,000 years ago they had darker skin, which was still seen in Spain, Luxembourg and Hungary around 8,500 years ago.

These humans lacked two genes – SLC24A5 and SLC45A2 – which lead to the depigmentation and lightening of the skin. But in the far north, ancient bodies in Sweden from 7,700 years ago were found to have both these genes, and a third causing blue eyes, meaning they were pale-skinned and blue-eyed.

Once the first farmers from the near East began to arrive in Europe, and who carried both genes for light skin, they began breeding with the “indigenous hunter gatherers”. One of the depigmentation genes became prominent throughout Europe to the point where central and southern Europeans developed lighter skin."

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2017 10:41PM by anybody.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: mans/social/construct ( )
Date: March 23, 2017 10:28PM

yes

Posted by: mans/social/construct ( )
Date: March 23, 2017 10:30PM

Off of LDS Church cp. A cabin across from the temple. Whats the deal there for random visitors?

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 08:52AM

Interesting ideas, but here's why I have a hard time believing in the evolution described by OP:

If this is true, what leads to other traits such as why are the Dutch the tallest in the world? Why are Central Americans short? It should be the other way around Guatemalans have the better climate and fresh food more available with vitamins. Northern Europeans have relied on processed food, and stale-dried-up food for thousands of years, so nutrition should be suffering and they should be smaller.

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 09:06AM

Educating yourself a bit more might help with your conclusions.....here's a starter....

http://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/why-the-dutch-became-the-tallest-people-on-the-planet/

Posted by: michaelm (not logged in) ( )
Date: March 31, 2017 06:51AM

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: March 31, 2017 06:13PM

interesting findings, taller people have more children in Holland, though it didn't give any reasons, and I don't feel any smarter after reading article.

But if article findings are true then in Mexico shorter people have more children than tall ones. The reasons could be shorter people fit better through door ways and can run faster when confronted with danger? So they could survive longer?

Hey I could make a buck as an academian-scientist-journalist too. Wonder if anyone would buy it? :^)

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 10:19AM

including archaeological and linguistic findings as well as genetic data:

https://www.quora.com/Why-is-there-more-genetic-diversity-in-African-people-than-in-those-in-the-rest-of-the-world

Sub-Saharan Africans also have the world's highest rate of albininsm:

(many are also hunted and believed to be cursed)
http://theurbantwist.com/2009/11/29/african-albinos-being-killed-for-their-body-parts/

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/africans-albinism-hunted-tanzania/story?id=11446434

Now look at an albino from India:
http://www.indiamike.com/files/images/06/99/11/the-albino-beggars-of-mangalore.jpg

http://img.izismile.com/img/img5/20120315/640/the_largest_albino_family_in_the_world_640_10.jpg

I'm not saying that white Europeans are albinos. But there are natural and spontaneous variations in human skin tone, body shape, skeletal structure, and hair type. Albinism is just an extreme example.

As humans moved out of Africa to other parts of the world they began to adapt to local climatic conditions:

Spencer Wells, "The Journey Of Man"
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W_xTG6VXlIQ

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2017 10:34AM by anybody.

Posted by: michaelm (not logged in) ( )
Date: March 31, 2017 06:50AM

World Focus: Guatemala's Children Languish from Malnutrition
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uKL5BusGcM

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 10:33AM

My daughter loves rabbits. She had one (domesticated) pet rabbit that was mostly white with some black spots. When it died, she got another one that was entirely jet black except for a white streak on his belly, with a smaller body and longer, floppier ears (a French Lop). Named him "Oreo."

She kept his cage out on the back porch, and the local jackrabbit population was keenly interested in him. When female jackrabbits would come around, he'd get a little crazy (a man has needs, you know).

She very wisely commented to me one time:

"Rabbits don't seem to care what color they are, or what shape their ears are. They all like each other, and would hang around with any other rabbit no matter what they looked like. Too bad humans aren't like that."

Yeah, too bad.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 10:37AM

ificouldhietokolob Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> She very wisely commented to me one time:
>
> "Rabbits don't seem to care what color they are,
> or what shape their ears are. They all like each
> other, and would hang around with any other rabbit
> no matter what they looked like. Too bad humans
> aren't like that."
>
> Yeah, too bad.

That's a great lesson more people need to learn. We have the same thing going on with ducks on our river of lost souls, although the white ducks can be bullies sometimes ( no, that's not a metaphor. Those ducks can be jerks). There's been some mating that produced some beautiful results between the wild ducks and the domesticated ducks and they all still hang out waiting for their snacks.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 10:53AM

It seems a little silly to ignore the obvious genetic diversity that comes with humanity. Mice share 97.5% similarity to humans yet we don't write an article about how mice and humans are more similar than they are different.

From a purely scientific view point we classify a Siberian tiger diffrent than a Bengal tiger and a Sumatran tiger. I wonder if part of the problem here is we have migrated to the idea that instead of embracing the diversity we minimize it.

Posted by: peculiargifts ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 04:02PM

I'm not quite sure that I understand what you are saying, but if what I think you're saying is correct:

I don't find a lot of support for your statement about mice and humans, genetically. I understand what you are saying there. However, mice and humans are an entirely different problem than arbitrary divisions of humans from other humans.)

I don't see people ignoring genetic diversity. The new idea is to embrace diversity.

The old idea was to use diversity as a club to bash anyone who was different, in very arbitrary ways. What we minimize is pretending that there is any positive result in bothering with the idea of dividing everyone up into some sort of arbitrary, distinct categories.

Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: March 31, 2017 10:13AM

As it turns out the only "pure" Homo Sapiens Sapiens are Africans. The rest of us, Eurasians, are 2-4% Neanderthal. Asians are an additional 3-5% Denisovan, both of whom were far more ancient than our species. Neanderthals occupied Europe for 200,000yrs before we came into existence, 200,000yrs ago.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: March 31, 2017 01:38PM

I hate everyone who doesn't look exactly like me. EXACTLY!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.