Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: paintinginthewin ( )
Date: March 22, 2017 12:41PM

Even though he took her through the temple?

On her (his wife's) Facebook in the about link, she lists him and their children. But from his (the returned missionary's Facebook page) there is no link or mention of a wife.

Savvy social media folks what is this? Does it have any significance, or connotations? What does it mean or imply?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2017 12:42PM by paintinginthewin.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: March 22, 2017 12:44PM

Just a guess, but...
Seems like either:
a) a pretty clear indicator of the value he puts on his wife & kids
b) somebody who's looking for a new wife (or something on the side)

I could be wrong, of course :)

Date: March 22, 2017 12:47PM

Zow. Bam ouch wow I hoped that stuff had stopped with my great great aunt whose Spouse did that in 1918 -when she found him auditioning a new wife on her living room couch . That's how my family left Utah/ grandma married to a man from southern Utah in Spanish Fork & then found out that she was his second wife. hello California! She hid her divorce from her family until the end of her life, married non l d s in Cali just to be sure/safe. You know these sorts of things hurt people's feelings, grandma was still serious and sincere explaining what happened to her before 1920.

Still goin on in the family Apparently if that's what young ---'s Facebook implies.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2017 12:59PM by paintinginthewin.

Posted by: liesarenotuseful ( )
Date: March 22, 2017 12:51PM

is it possible that facebook is new to him, and he doesn't know to put those things? If not that, I would be worried.

Date: March 22, 2017 12:54PM

Oh he's been on Facebook since four years before he started on his mission which he served successfully, and returned from about 5 years ago. He might have been a child on MySpace but I think he's been on Facebook forever. He's not a new user of Facebook.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2017 12:55PM by paintinginthewin.

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: March 22, 2017 01:03PM

My son's wife is not from the US, and she thinks facebook is a crutch for narcissistic people. She won't sign up, so linking her name does not do anything.

When I first joined facebook I did not list my wife and relationships because I just did not think it was important. I mostly signed up to get news from a special interest group I belonged to that moved from Yahoo groups to faceobok.

I don't think everybody is on the prowl who has a facebook account.

Date: March 22, 2017 01:35PM

Thanks for your view relating other perspectives making a completely different explanation. So my drama fizzed like a flat soda, good thing for my family no doubt.

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: March 22, 2017 01:24PM

I dont update my personal details on facebook, they say the same thing when I was 15. Some people are not so studious about their online profiles

Date: March 22, 2017 01:38PM

Sharing your common sense. That perspective changes my perception of any imagined connotations from my young family members Facebook personal details. That's why I started this thread, to get others perspectives on what if anything it means.

Posted by: Shinehahbeam ( )
Date: March 22, 2017 01:57PM

Same here. My account has no personal info. I've never posted anything on it, and I think the last time I even used it was about 3 years ago. Before that, I probably looked at it less than a dozen times. Even if I did use it, I wouldn't be posting personal info. For the most part, I agree with Hednig's DIL..."Facebook is a crutch for narcissistic people"...or insecure people, etc... I wouldn't say this applies to most Facebook users, but I think it applies to all users that post regularly about what they bought, where they went, what they made for dinner, etc...

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: March 22, 2017 01:41PM

Hell, I don't know what's on my own FB page, and I waste tons of time on it...

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: March 22, 2017 01:58PM

It's the old double standard.

It represents to me he has girlies on his Facebook that he's schmoozing with, that his wife most likely knows nothing about. Maybe an old girlfriend, or new flame. Or both.

There's so much tomfoolery online. Facebook is a divorce attorney's mecca, when digging up dirt on their client's spouse.

Posted by: Anon2017+ ( )
Date: March 22, 2017 02:10PM

My wife doesn't like to share photos of me on her Fb. I am fat (320+), pugly, bald, and embarrassing to her. Yet she posts everyone else in the family. I am not a Fb user mostly because I am embarrassed of myself. It's my opinion that Fb is about showing who your are, what your in to etc, and it sounds like the RM is probably not wanting to share, which is very unusual for mormon life. Probably subconsciously and fishing for a girlfriend, alternative life, and hoping to get a bite.

Date: March 22, 2017 02:26PM

Some sort of marketing thing then, Almost a missionary's fellowshipping tool, or member temple standard lifestyle promoter for a ward. Using photography only to gesture to others rather than your words, your voice, your gestures, your statements, your humor, and what you do -- is embarrassing statement of the simplicity of our own digital society & how this shallowness ensnared us all. Oh if only your voice telling about a story or joke could be hit on a button on a screen and who you really are hold and enthralling your family digitally. /with a obvious button to press set on an art graphic or photo of a truck or computer & then train them (i.e. Close family) to always look for that one graphic and button getting another story or joke in your voice ..of course they could plus or emoticon but they could reply to it, kinda like a recorded voice like the live team members when they talk playing online video games in teams.. except it'd be you, your voice in a joke or story.

Posted by: texsaw ( )
Date: March 22, 2017 02:25PM

He may be too stupid, indifferent and/or lazy to post any info on his wife and kids.

The question you might ask is why she posts anything about him.

Date: March 22, 2017 02:28PM

Bow zam BAM you hit it.

Posted by: overit ( )
Date: March 22, 2017 02:32PM

Many people have "no relationship info" on facebook. It really is not an issue. Presumably everyone he knows knows he is married and he feels no desire to update it or has not thought about it. it really is not that big a deal and does not signify he is an abhorrent, deviant seeking sexual delights outside the matrimonial home.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: March 22, 2017 03:12PM

It could mean so many things that I think it probably doesn't mean anything.

I don't post any relationship status because I don't think it's anybody's business, on FB or elsewhere. I'm private about that stuff. This RM might be the same way.

Or he's trolling for some Strange.

Or he barely uses FB at all and his wife does all the family updates.

He may just use FB to view his kids' pix and vid that his wife posts. Or to message people privately.

Kinda funny how everyone here has a reasonable explanation to offer and it seems we've all projected our personal reasons on to this person. LOL Some people automatically assume Dude is a cheater; others are all "meh" sometimes people just don't put much personal stuff on their pages.

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: March 22, 2017 03:22PM

I just had to look, my about section lists, my University, my high school, where I grew up, the city I live in and 13 family members none of them are biologically related to me.

Posted by: samwitch ( )
Date: March 22, 2017 04:31PM

It could also be a safety thing. I don't want the entire online world to know exactly who my family members are, where we live, what we look like, etc., especially the underage kids in the family. Stalkers, pervs, ID thieves... the possibilities are endless -- and scary.

More than likely, though, he just didn't bother to take time to put in all that info.

Date: March 22, 2017 04:58PM

Could it be a business thing? trying to develop a saleable product/ profession besides his full time job that pays all his bills. Except it's profile of his pregnant wife's belly, item from his mom, ethnic post mom sent, and a food joke photo with two of his product. So his self promoted product is 1/3 and others are 2/3. However the post by his mom is about him, the wife is pregnant by him, the product is his, and the ethnicity is his, so 5/6 of the posts promote him. Maybe the food photo joke promotes or shares him via expressing his sense of humor. Yes as a young business person or someone breaking in to another more desired profession I can see how his Facebook is marketing. Possibly his wife's Facebook is who is expressing the family stuff?

Posted by: seamaiden ( )
Date: March 22, 2017 05:10PM

Who know why Mormons do the things they do, could be all of these things! Another option that I have seen time and time again would be that the person he loved, he loved despite of who she was, not for it and married someone else!

Posted by: rubi123 ( )
Date: March 22, 2017 05:21PM

Facebook really disturbs me when it comes to romantic relationships. I finally just deactivated my account. I couldn't stand seeing my current boyfriend's ex gf in his friends list. It bugged the hell out of me. I finally unfriended him because I figured if he has his ex as a FB friend, he doesn't need me as a FB friend, too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2017 05:23PM by rubi123.

Posted by: seamaiden ( )
Date: March 22, 2017 05:39PM

I use facebook for entertainment, which IMHO should be the only reason. They blocked content during election. Another reason is they offer to enhance post for $5! Want people to actually see a post of substance, it will cost ya!

That would be like having to give everyone of this forum $5 to read you topic, networking could get expensive real quick!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2017 05:51PM by seamaiden.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 22, 2017 09:35PM

Well, I just looked under my family list and I have no one listed. And yet I see my family's posts on my home page just the same! How do you like that?

People use FB different ways. Honestly, I think it's weirder when couples share a FB page. It makes it seem like they don't trust each other.

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: March 22, 2017 10:17PM

Returned missionaries are, by definition, delusional, so anything is possible.

I don't care what they do or don't post. But if they start playing with knifes I don't want to be in the same room.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: March 23, 2017 12:22AM

Is his wife on his friend's list? If not then I'd consider it
strange. Otherwise no big deal.

Posted by: - ( )
Date: March 23, 2017 12:30AM

I'm a returned missionary and I don't post *anything* to Facebook.

As far as I can tell, all that means is I'm brighter than the rest of you :)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.