Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: rolled tacos on a sunday ( )
Date: March 22, 2017 12:10AM

I heard a radio advertisement for a neil diamond concert going on sometime soon in SLC on a sunday, I know its a big city and all but do you think it`ll be a filled concert specially being in the vivint arena. Salt lake is a different kind of "America" theres lots of "sweet caroline" spirits that can`t go anywehre but there house and ward building on the sabbath

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: March 22, 2017 12:21AM

Mormons like Neil Diamond. He played BYU back in my day and he was a smash hit. I have no idea how the crowd will be on a Sunday in SLC but Neil won't care. That man loves what he does and he has enough money to last him at least ten lifetimes. Smash or bust; He'll be on a stage playing his music, performing, and having fun if only one person shows.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 22, 2017 01:13AM

I saw Neil Diamond many years ago in the salt palace.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: March 22, 2017 01:19AM

I saw the Rolling Stones at Rice Eccles Stadium on a Sunday and it was sold out.They may appeal to a different audience, but the crowd size was not affected by it being Sunday.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2017 01:41AM by bona dea.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: March 22, 2017 02:21AM

Loved his early music - 70's. Now, he is long past his prime and he barely sings his songs. Lots of almost talking, from what I have seen. I'd rather listen to a CD of his original stuff than pay to listen to him now.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: March 22, 2017 07:00AM

It may sell out. If all the baby boomers and aging rockers show up to support him.

I'd like to go if was in the area. Since he's also Jewish, imagine the local Jewish population (who grew up with his music like I did,) will want to be there too.

Since Saturday is his Sabbath, he'll be in perfect harmony with his G-d of the Universe. :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2017 07:03AM by Amyjo.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: March 22, 2017 07:08AM

He was surprised the chair didn't hear him?

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: March 22, 2017 10:25AM

donbagley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> He was surprised the chair didn't hear him?

He was, he said.

Posted by: Jimbo ( )
Date: March 22, 2017 09:55AM

As much as I love his music Vivinet Arrena or whatever they are calling it this week is not a good place to see music.The acoustics are horrible . All of the music I love for some reason I would not want to pay to see now .Do I want to see Mr Diamond talk through his great songs? not really. Do I want to see an aging Mick Jagger do his silly dance at this point ? Not at all.The last time I saw the Stones at this arena it just did not work.The sound was bad and Mick should just stop with his silly dancing routine .Its nonsense at this point .Iv seen the Stones a bunch of times starting in 1975 but I would not go now even if I got a free ticket .Mandatory retirement for aging rockers.

Date: March 22, 2017 10:01AM

I went to see Olivia Newton-John last two times she came through my area. Her "last" touring concert was supposed to be 2012. But she returned last summer to sing at Niagara Falls.

Never cared to listen to her before learning we're cousins.

Distant cousins, but still. I loved her music as a teenager, like Neil Diamond's.

I'd listen to him older too. Even if his voice is fading.

Olivia sang better in 2012, and performed better than last year's performance. I could tell her age is starting to show. She lost her sister in 2012 or around that time, to a brain tumor.

She faced down her own mortality with breast cancer in the 1990's and survived. She's 69 this year. She seems to be doing well in spite of her age.

Posted by: Agnes Broomhead ( )
Date: March 22, 2017 02:12PM

Did she wear spandex and sing, "Let's Get Physical"? How would TBMs approve of that???

Date: March 23, 2017 12:00AM

I just read in Us magazine this evening that when she recorded that song she was embarrassed to air it because it sounded overtly sexual. So the exercise video was made to go with it, and took the focus from the other. It became a workout song instead lol.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2017 12:02AM by Amyjo.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 09:33AM

I had a friend who tried to use it as a chat-up line to a girl he was pursuing.

It didn't work.

Posted by: Jimbo ( )
Date: March 22, 2017 10:22AM

I hope I die before I get old Talkin bout My Generation

Should be changed to

I really need to retire when I get old Talkin bout My Generation

Really what's next the remaining members of the Eagles and the Beatles touring together as The Beagles

A few can pull it off such as Elton John but generally please just stop and let us live with the music and the concerts that were great when you and your band were great in concert

Date: March 22, 2017 10:35AM

You know you're getting older when your parents oldies goldies have become your oldie goldies. ;)

Like crooner Rod Stewart. He went from rock n roll to singing love ballads. A lot of them do that. Maybe because they become mellower with time?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2017 10:36AM by Amyjo.

Posted by: Dave in TX ( )
Date: March 22, 2017 10:29AM

I saw him in 1976 at the Huntsman Center (then SEC) at the U. It was his first concert after doing the score for Jonathan Livingston Seagull.

Now that place has ACOUSTICS to die for. It is sad that the Millers forced all the music acts to have to use their arena, instead of the SEC/HC.

Posted by: sd ( )
Date: March 23, 2017 04:34PM

be on a Hot August Night?

Date: March 24, 2017 09:28AM

Only if you're in Sweet Caroline.

Never in Salt Lake, and especially not on Sunday. ;)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.