Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: March 21, 2017 09:54PM

There was a complete set of journal of discourses for $120.00 at the Layton DI.

Also a 1966 copy of Mormon Doctrine. On the first set of shelves for those that collect such.

As of tuesday at 6:30 pm.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: March 21, 2017 10:01PM

I can't imagine why they haven't been snapped up already. ;)

Date: March 21, 2017 10:09PM

JoD has been there a while. Its about half the price they originally wanted.

Posted by: Ex-cultmember ( )
Date: March 22, 2017 12:12AM

Original or reproduction?

I bought a reproduction of the JOD at DI on my mission (SLC).

Date: March 22, 2017 06:25AM

They do sound like collectibles, for someone into that.

If they were mine, I'd want to use em for wood kindling in place of donating them. At least donor can use the tax deduction as a write-off.

Date: March 22, 2017 11:28AM

I mention them because people express interest from time to time in owning them.

JoD is online. So I assume the astute simply use their cell phone. Hence it lingers on the shelf.

Mormon Doctrine, particularly pre Blacks can have the Priesthood era, may be of interest for those tracking the changes in doctrine.

Date: March 22, 2017 06:44PM

I never had any desire to read them. Having read the standard four books of Mormon scriptures, that was it.

Wasn't into the Mormon history until well into my 30's. Started reading out of curiosity, which led to learning about the history we weren't taught in the church. The "veil was finally lifted" from my eyes!

Posted by: cheezus ( )
Date: March 23, 2017 05:41PM

I don't have a desire to read them either, but there are very select talks that will not disappoint. One that comes to mind is GQ Cannon pontificating that monogamy was the reason for the fall of the Roman Empire. That kind of content makes it interesting.

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: March 22, 2017 12:47PM

Do any copies of Mormon Doctrine exist prior to the mandatory changes that David O McKay ordered, or was it never printed in that form?

Posted by: liesarenotuseful ( )
Date: March 22, 2017 12:53PM

We have a copy of the original Mormon Doctrine with all the crap that was later changed. Someone in my family seems to have hidden it or gotten rid of it, because I know exactly where it was and now can't find it.

Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: March 22, 2017 08:10PM

I threw out all my Mormon books. Why would anyone want them? I resent Bruce R McConkie for teaching my generation not to have a relationship with Jesus Christ. Oh, the grievousness of that sin!

Date: March 22, 2017 10:11PM

He's the one who wrote "I believe in Christ," hymn.

How was it possible he taught how not to know Jesus? I'm confused. If anyone seemed Christian, there was a time I believed he was the real deal.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: March 23, 2017 12:37AM

It started with a talk at BYU in which a book by a BYU religion
instructor, on gaining a relationship with Christ, was publicly
singled out for censure:

https://speeches.byu.edu/talks/bruce-r-mcconkie_relationship-lord/

Date: March 23, 2017 08:26AM

Thanks for sharing article/link. :)

In 1982 I was beginning junior college. Not the Y. (Active TBM during those years.)

McConkey keeps the focus on keeping the relationship with God, trumping the one with Jesus. He keeps JC as intercessor, advocate, friend. And second only to God.

That's fairly Mormon in his teachings, right?

One of the key principles I had a real struggle with going to several fundie Christian denominations is that they denounce the distinct personages between God the Father, and his son, Jesus Christ. One pastor insisted Jesus is/was God who prayed to himself in the Garden of Gethsemane. That he was always God incarnate. Jesus never faltered in giving honor to his Father (in heaven.) He never took the credit to himself, always deferring to his "Father's will" for him.

That's one of the few teachings I held after leaving Mormonism, because it makes more sense based on biblical scripture.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.