Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: RebelJamesDean ( )
Date: March 20, 2017 03:15PM

Seriously? We have all these scriptures exhorting us to pray and have faith. Ask and ye shall receive. You can move move mountains if you have the faith of a mustard seed (I think mustard seeds are quite small). Amittedly, I have little faith, but surely the modern day (so called) Prophet and Apostles have as much faith as a mustard seed. Prophets and Apostles give blessings all the time. Why hasn't a single baby that was born deaf or blind had their hearing or sight restored? Why hasn't a single veteran who lost their arm or leg had their limb restored? Miraculous things reportedly happened in the old and new testaments. Do modern day Prophets and Apostles not have enough faith to heal the sick? Elders and missionaries give priesthood blessings hundreds or thousands of time each each day around the world. Can't we have just one miracle?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: March 20, 2017 03:50PM

The same reason nobody, ever, has "performed a miracle."

You've noticed, I hope, that bible Jesus, who says you can move mountains with a tiny bit of faith, never actually moved one...

Posted by: never again ( )
Date: March 20, 2017 03:59PM

Simple answer:

It all ended with the invention of video tape and tape

recorder

seriously:

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: March 20, 2017 04:07PM

The Mormons used to tell us that "If the Prophet/Bishop performed miracles, then people would have proof, and would not have to rely on 'pure faith', anymore. It's God's plan for us to have faith in Him.

"Well", I asked, "Why did Joseph Smith perform the miracle of seeing God and Christ, and have an angel lead him to the Golden Plates, and perform the miracle of translating the BOM?"

Answer: "God had to restore His Gospel to the Earth, and, of course, Joseph Smith was chosen to do this work. It was a one-time event."

"Oh...kaaaay...but...?"

Posted by: peculiargifts ( )
Date: March 20, 2017 04:11PM

Well, TBM's will point to any number of made-up things and coincidences, and call them all miracles.

"My sister-in-law's cousin's best friend was being treated for cancer, for a year, and she got a priesthood blessing from Elder Holyguy, and within another year, her oncologist told her that the cancer was fully in remission."

That sort of thing. They really believe that the miracle was from the priesthood blessing, not from 2 years of aggressive medical treatment.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: March 20, 2017 04:13PM

In that student video thing with Holland and Eyring at the Smith farm a couple weeks ago, didn't Eyring talk about anointing a girl who the doctors said wouldn't live, and of course she did, then they said she wouldn't walk again, and of course, she did.

FPS? I sure couldn't find it on google.....

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: March 20, 2017 04:16PM

I smell an Atheist baking!

Just like there is no Santa Clause there are no supreme beings screwing with humanity at their leisure.

The harsh reality is that we are nothing more than hyper aware biological entities that are trying the best to understand the universe they found themselves in.

Date: March 20, 2017 04:26PM

There hasn't been a single observed proven miracle in modern times. And that simple fact, is not a MIRACLE !!!

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: March 20, 2017 09:30PM

I have seen miracles.

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: March 20, 2017 04:29PM

Because they are not real never could honestly answer that part of the temple questions without popping a smile that seriously is one of the questions and that's when I had to consider walking away.

Posted by: flutterbypurple ( )
Date: March 20, 2017 04:36PM

It is becuause God and Jesus are to busy finding lost keys and snorkel masks for vacations to do any thing big. If everyone would stop asking for their lost items they would have time to get with the modern profits and do a big miracle for all to see. Then we could all return to the one twoo church. HAHA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2017 05:15PM by flutterbypurple.

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: March 20, 2017 05:43PM

This afternoon in my Spanish class I ace'd a test.

If you knew my study habits you would realize this for the miracle it is.

Some may point to feeding the multitudes or restoring sight to the blind as miraculous. Seriously: compared to yours truly rockin' and rollin' through the present and imperfect subjunctive, such "miracles" are just parlor tricks.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: March 20, 2017 05:48PM

Their miracle is that they've kept the fraud going in the information age.

Posted by: paulk ( )
Date: March 20, 2017 06:06PM

On my mission Elder Holland visited. A sister missionary brought a blind lady who said she had the faith to be healed if Elder Holland would give her a blessing. He totally side stepped the request and said she would blessed for her great faith and then moved on without giving a blessing. It was an early item on my shelf. My mission president was furious at the sister missionary for putting an apostle in such an awkward position.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2017 06:07PM by paulk.

Date: March 20, 2017 06:39PM

paulk - That was a great story from your mission. How many more stories like this need to be told before people wake up and start thinking for themselves? It sounds like apostle Holland needs some more faith. As far as the woman in your story, maybe she should be the first female apostle. Aren't women more spiritual than men anyways?

Date: March 20, 2017 07:00PM

Yes, how horrible of that sister missionary to actually believe? :)

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: March 20, 2017 09:01PM

My asshat MP reminded us that we would be having a regional conference with strict guidelines that we had to adhere to.

1) No investigators

2) Only active members (we were part of a pilot missionary program where we had to contact/work with less actives on a daily basis)

3) No cameras, tape recorders or autographs.

The last one, he repeated it twice.

4) Under NO circumstances must you bring a member who is suffering and attempt to request an Apostolic blessing. These special men are very busy to the many affairs of Christ's church. They offer themselves for blessings by special invitation only.

It was all a fraud, and we were well duped to really see what it was.

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: March 20, 2017 06:42PM

magical things happen all the time. It's just that people don't talk about it openly because they will get ridiculed. But I don't care, I'll go ahead and tell you what happened to me when I was a mishi years ago which I think was a miracle.

So we were in a car driving and got side swiped, the car spun and ran into a telephone pole. We were in an old car that was built like a tank. One of those old muscle cars that weigh 10,000 lbs, seat 8 people and had a trunk the size of a grand piano. There was no shock absorption and I got terrible wip-lash and blacked out.

The next day my back hurt really bad and I couldn't move much at all. I knew this was not a simple injury it was going to take months. Well that night I got a priesthood blessing and right there all the pain left. And I could move perfectly well like nothing had happened.
Miracle? I think so.

Date: March 20, 2017 07:01PM

Thanks for pointing out that "miracle" actually means, "I can't personally explain this."

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: March 20, 2017 06:44PM

Because they can't?

Wait, even if a miracle happened in their presence it still would have been god who did it. So why hasn't god performed a single miracle?

God? God? Where art thou god?

Posted by: AlternativeGold ( )
Date: March 20, 2017 07:05PM

Haven't you ever had this experience?- You're watching TV- it's a televangelist. who's going on any on about things, in that sort of pompous style which has become for many a target for caricature... For some reason, however, you feel you want to stay with that channel. Soon he begings talking about the great family holiday feast he just enjoyed recently- as if sharing his zeal for good food with people he knows share the same enthusiasm... He's making you hungry; you begin to salivate; your stomach's growling-you haven't eaten for a good while. You find yourself suddenly addressing him, "O.K. Mister-you're talking good now, for sure... C'mon, hand it over- the pizza with giardinieri peppers. chicken tacos... sirloin burgers with Wooster... Hand It Over!" you finish loudly. All of a sudden, hands which appear to be his push out from the screen, with all those good things you mentioned... As your chomping away, you're saying "Man, this is fantastic- this is a miracle...!"

Date: March 20, 2017 07:10PM

Nope :)

I did accidentally have my TV land on "Peter Popoff" the other day, though. He was pushing his magical blessed "Miracle Water."
You can get a sample (a few drops) absolutely free! Of course, a few drops won't do any good, so to get the full miracle effect you need more, which requires a "donation..."

http://www.christianpost.com/news/controversial-televangelist-peter-popoff-hawks-miracle-water-93290/

http://www.csicop.org/specialarticles/show/the_woman_who_took_on_popoff_the_hidden_story_of_crystal_sanchez_the_peter_

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2017 07:12PM by ificouldhietokolob.

Posted by: Anonymous 2 ( )
Date: March 20, 2017 07:23PM

Maybe it's because they don't know how to!????

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: March 20, 2017 07:56PM

If you believe the Bible (which I don’t), everyone who approached Jesus with faith was instantly cured of any illness, injury, deformity, or any other physical malady.

These days, with the same true church of Christ, the same priesthood which was used by Jesus to cure people, healings are so conditional. If (when) the person who receives a priesthood blessing doesn’t miraculously get better, well...they didn’t have enough faith, of the lord needs to teach them patience or humility, or the Lord has other plans for them. If they die…well, it was their appointed time. The lord needed them on the other side.

You can’t recreate 2,000 year-old fables IRL.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: March 20, 2017 09:26PM

Actually, Jesus did not heal anyone in his home town. He did, however, not just cure people - he turned water into fine wine.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: March 20, 2017 09:48PM

I'd become active again (for a week or two) to see a Mormon prophet turn water into wine.

Posted by: cheezus ( )
Date: March 20, 2017 08:00PM

Are you kidding? if lowering the age that their own can go on a mission is not a miracle.... I don't know what is.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: March 20, 2017 08:36PM

All you have to do is watch the leaked videos of these bozos in their highly spiritual Q15 meetings to figure out why there are no miracles. It's a freakin' business and NOTHING more.

Many years ago, while serving under a fairly decent bishop trying his best to help others, we foolishly wasted time during ward councils in an effort to help some people in the ward. Looking back, we should been wiser in our meetings by discussing "Pirates of the Caribbean" or the sexuality of transgender people.

Date: March 26, 2017 07:08PM

Thanks for all the interesting posts. Is anyone aware of any significant prophesy that has been made by Church leaders in modern times that has actually come to pass?

Date: March 27, 2017 10:29AM

RebelJamesDean Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for all the interesting posts. Is anyone
> aware of any significant prophesy that has been
> made by Church leaders in modern times that has
> actually come to pass?

No, but even if I was, it wouldn't mean they were actually being 'prophetic.'

Fraudulent 'fortune tellers' are really good, for example, at cold-reading people, using generalities and statistics, and making 'predictions' (prophecies?). And then when one or two 'hit,' the gullible believe they had some kind of supernatural magical woo-woo. When all they did is play the odds.

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: March 26, 2017 10:29PM

My TBM family said the lastest miracle is that they are building a temple in Rome, Italy.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 26, 2017 10:32PM

How come they never heal amputees ?

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: March 27, 2017 10:37AM

Because they're not prophets. They're film flam men.

Miracles are real.

Posted by: pettigrew ( )
Date: March 27, 2017 11:30AM

Getting 5 million people out to Church since the essays is itself a modern miracle. As is getting people still paying tithing after City Creek. The Q15 must think there's nothing they could do that would disengage the faithful core. They're probably right.

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: March 27, 2017 01:16PM

Sometimes ole stories are made up, exaggerated, convoluted.

Some day (it's already in the making), lds 'leaders' will say [today's 'leaders'] their profits performed miracles (even if it is just getting members to attend/ tithe).

Sometimes it seems it is a miracle Mormons find their way out of TC (the cult).

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.