Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: March 19, 2017 10:58PM

Biotin isn't helping.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: March 19, 2017 11:06PM

Some hair loss is normal. The average human loses between 50-150 hairs a day. If it's so much that your hair is thinning, maybe see a doctor?

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: March 19, 2017 11:13PM

Psh, I think my hair is growing from stress. My beards never been this thick.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2017 11:13PM by midwestanon.

Posted by: SonOfLaban ( )
Date: March 19, 2017 11:13PM

Those who ruminate on sleep can't sleep.

The perfect marriage isn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTIpt65Ns24

Posted by: paisley70 ( )
Date: March 20, 2017 12:46AM

My hair goes curly from stress. It happened on my mission twenty years ago, and it happened again recently. Once from working for the church and once from leaving it! Dealing with the fallout hasn't been smooth. I think the stress affects my thyroid gland.

Date: March 20, 2017 01:22AM

Going curly sounds kinda pleasant, Paisley70. Dr. said that thyroid difficulties make it grow in all different directions.

For mine, he said all is normal but stress.

He said Biotin makes it stronger and shinier, but won't make it grow back. He thinks it will come back eventually on its own, but I'm beginning to wonder.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: March 20, 2017 03:29AM

They were so painful that I thought my head would explode. If I felt one coming on, and popped a couple of Excedrins before it really got rolling, I could stop it. But if, for whatever reason, I didn't take them soon enough, the only other remedy was a trip to the ER for a HEAVY dose of injected narcotic as well as Phenergan for vomiting. And of course, knowing that I would have to be doped-up to the gills and would not be able to drive myself home, I had to get someone to drive me and stay with me.

They started when my oldest son was about 18 months old, and I was stuck in a job I loathed. Since retiring, nearly 15 years ago, I have not had a single one. (My son is now 40, to give you some perspective.) My now-ex, BTW, NEVER ONCE took me to the ER. He insisted that I was "faking it." I had to call friends for help, and carried a large bowl with me, so I wouldn't throw up in their vehicles.

Employment was toxic for me; I suspected it all along. But I managed to hang in there, and have a nice retirement to show for it. Stress was just part of the package deal, I guess.

Posted by: ericka ( )
Date: March 21, 2017 01:13AM

Funny thing, I started having severe migraines almost every Sunday morning. Hmmmm, I wonder.

I haven't had a single headache since leaving the church in 2011.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 01:49AM

we may be onto something HUGE here.

Is it possible that there is something inside us that says, "This particular environment/activity is unhealthy for me, and if I am forced to be there/do that, I will act out and produce bodily/mental illness?"

Is any of this related to that old saying about most people living "lives of quiet desperation?"

Amyjo, I totally hear you - 28 years into a job, and counting down the months that are left. When I walked out of that building for the last time, I crossed the street to our parking structure, got into my car, and broke down crying, for at least a half-hour. Until then, I had never really believed that I would live long enough to retire. I hated that job, but it had a pretty specific skill-set that would not transfer easily to another line of work. As I saw it, all I could do was "endure."

Thirty years of "enduring" made me financially solvent, but it just about did me in, physically and psychologically.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: March 21, 2017 04:00PM

Well I understand why your husband is now "ex." How loathsome of him to shrug off your health concerns.

I'm stuck right now in a somewhat stressful job before can retire. I could quit, but if I did would forfeit a portion of my retirement that's been compounding for the past 28 years. By waiting just a few months longer (I count the months instead of years - they seem to go by faster as I check them off on the calendar,) it's well worth it to stay until it matures.

But it's hard on me. I'd love to leave now, and have been planning my retirement for the past five years.

Glad your migraines cleared up. That sounds awful! Stress sure can play havoc on our health. Have been through my own health scares brought about by stress. I've been learning to slow down. Now my children are grown and on their own, that takes much pressure off my plate making sure they were provided for. Working two jobs back to back for 12 years straight nearly did me in.

Date: March 20, 2017 04:02AM

Date: March 20, 2017 05:18AM

DOOR 1 -

There is a God of the universe who is your father, and he loves you much more than you can ever love your self. You are therefore safe.

DOOR 2 -

There is no god; you are alone in the universe. Ignore all the amazing evidences of your great luck and instead ruminate about how vulnerable you are. Go insane, like many others have done, due to fears.

The choice is yours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vor_3rscYoo

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: March 20, 2017 09:10AM

If by "stress" you mean genetics and age...me. :)

Oh, and as for SoL's "two doors" above...

He forgot door #3:

Don't worry about the mythical nonsense ignorant and fearful people want to feed you about imaginary god-things, and live a good life where you treat people kindly and care about facts.

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: March 20, 2017 09:17AM

Yes, I was losing it in handfuls. It was a combination of stress and an acquired allergy to the chemicals I had been using for 30+ years.

After I stopped using any chemicals, the hair loss is back to normal. It has taken just over a year for my hair to get back to normal.

Date: March 20, 2017 10:59AM

Yes, sbg, I am chemically sensitive. Thank you for reminding me of that.

Posted by: liesarenotuseful ( )
Date: March 20, 2017 11:00AM

which chemicals?

Date: March 20, 2017 12:13PM

Most medications, including diabetes meds, and any anti-depressant that I've attempted.

Sunscreen.

Seventy percent of all foods, all tree nuts, legumes, seeds, peanuts, corn ...

Grasses, trees with the exception of pines and cedars.

But, thankfully, I'm NOT allergic to dogs!!! :)

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: March 20, 2017 11:23PM

In the case of my hair the dye and Brazillian Blowout to straighten the mop.

However like Kathleen I have enough allergies to fill a book.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: March 20, 2017 11:09AM

After her husband beat up on her during one of his psychotic episodes. She came to my house and her hair was coming out it in clumps (no, it wasn't from him yanking her hair).

Biotin didn't really work all that well for me either as I still have brittle nails. Maybe prenatals would word? I really don't know.

Posted by: Recovered Molly Mo ( )
Date: March 20, 2017 12:25PM

Are you female and over the age of 35? have your thyroid tested.

I would recommend prenatal vitamins and detoxing off of anything with caffeine, alcohol, over processed foods. It made a big difference in my own head! :)

Yes, extreme stress will make your hair fall out more than normal. For some people, it will even turn white (decades before most people normally go grey). When I went thru my greatest stress in life. (IE, abuse, leaving Church Inc., death in family, loss of friends, and divorce-all in the matter of a few short years)

People asked me if I was ill all the time. I looked ten years older than I do right now. Someone asked me if I was going thru chemo, that was my wake up call to start owning my stress and health again.

RMM

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 20, 2017 12:29PM

I was going to say that earlier, but you stated above now that you are allergic to diabetes meds.

That is how they "diagnosed" diabetes. The woman who used to cut and perm my hair told me to get to the doctor. I had lost half my hair. My daughter was shocked when she saw how bad it was.

Started diabetes meds and it started getting better. Since I've been on insulin rather than just oral medications, my hair is in great shape and I'll be 60 in 3 months.

Posted by: kativicky ( )
Date: March 20, 2017 02:11PM

I am surprised that I don't have anymore gray hairs than I do with all the stress that I have been under.

Date: March 20, 2017 11:58PM

Thank you, my sweet anon friends.

Posted by: CoJA13 ( )
Date: March 20, 2017 11:59PM

I have suffered Marie Antoinette Syndrome because of several harrowing experiences.

Date: March 21, 2017 12:47AM

CoJA13,
Will you please tell us more about this?

Posted by: CoJA13 ( )
Date: March 21, 2017 10:29AM

I have severe PTSD from what happened when I was in the Church and the stress is so extreme that since those experiences happened (ex. A bishop recommending I kill myself and then damning me when I tried and actually succeeded) my hair turned stark white.

Posted by: bluebutterfly ( )
Date: March 21, 2017 01:01AM

Yes. I feel like I have lost 50% of my hair since last year. It is rather shocking. My children are very young, so I'm in the trenches of toddlerhood hell. Also, my TBM mother gets crazier and meaner the older she gets. There are many other stresses in my life too, but those are the two heaviest. I'm taking the hair vitamins, but I have not noticed a difference.

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: March 21, 2017 04:33AM

Yes I think I am actually

Posted by: loislane ( )
Date: March 21, 2017 08:32AM

Slather coconut oil on your hair, wrap a towel around it and let it just soak in for half an hour before you wash it off.

You want to do two things: First, get rid of the dead skin cells that are glogging things up and second, do whatever is necessary to bring blood to the area. So lot of massage, wash your hair every day, and really massage the scalp in the process.

Add a little cayenne pepper or ginger to your shampoo to get the blood flowing.

Tug lightly on your hair, enough to raise the scalp a bit.

Yes, stress can lead to hair loss, but there are things you can do to make it come back.

Lots of over-the-counter products you can try, but I like the natural remedies.

Try lying on your bed, with your head hanging down the side, and then lift your head to your chest.

Try Any inversion position will bring blood to the thryoid and the scalp, which is what you want.

These "head sit-ups" will also tighten up a double or loose chin.

Plus, if you do all the things I just suggested, it will get your mind off whatever is stressing you.

Lois

Posted by: brigantia not logged in to Y ( )
Date: March 21, 2017 01:08PM

Chemo took my hair. Now it is growing back, white with blondish tint. I now have a short Bob. I use Nioxin shampoo and conditioner and it keeps the condition okay. I hated the wig, it made my scalp itchy and uncomfortable. I have my eyebrows and lashes back too, yippee. I recommend Nioxin if it is available in the US.

Briggy

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: March 21, 2017 02:10PM

When I left the Church in 1978, I had a full head of hair. Now
it's way thinner and the hairline's receded. Just proves how bad
things happen to you when you leave the Church

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: March 21, 2017 02:24PM

"Plus, if you do all the things I just suggested, it will get your mind off whatever is stressing you."

Lois

I love this! I'm going to try everything! What can it hurt?

During pregnancy, my hair got very thick, and a few months after giving birth, the extra hair fell out. The same thing happens to my daughter, when she is pregnant. Hormones? The stress of giving birth?

Your hair loss could be genetic. My aunts had alopecia, and I suspect that it runs in families. They were beautiful women, and lived into their mid 90's. They had to keep their hair clean and fluffy. One aunt had it worse than the others.

My roommate at BYU had hair loss from pulling her pony tail too tight. The loss occurred mostly around her face, at her hairline. It grew back.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 02:01AM

I take the large doses of Biotin. It takes a month or two to show any change. My hair loss is genetic, plus stress when my husband was so ill. It's come back, some, but not enough to suit me!

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 11:48AM

When I was a teenager, my dad (who must have been very stressed judging by his baldness) told me, "Son, don't put too much stock in your hair...you won't have it much longer."

Well, the thought of losing my hair stressed me out to no end; and needless to say, within a couple years I started losing my hair.

I'm in my 50s and I'm still stressed by the stress causing me to lose my hair. I now shave my head to hide the shame of my stress-induced baldness.

Date: March 24, 2017 12:41PM

Yes, Greg. :)

I would do exactly that if my head weren't shaped like a bag of apples!

Posted by: Anon370H55V ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 12:05PM

I started losing my hair in big ugly silver-dollar size patches. Biotin and womens Rogaine did help but it took a long time. I wore a hat any time I went outside my house. My hair's always been wavy but now it is curly like going in every direction. And it's thinning on top and in front. I had a lupus test and it was positive but the doctor said it was "only a little bit positive so it's no big deal" but I hate the uncertainty of it!!! Wondering if I should be worried or not is stressful too!

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 07:29PM

I still have my hair. Stress took my sanity.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.